The Student Room Group

transfer university after foundation year?

Hi im ibrahim
I going onto to do engineering with foundation year at cardiff university. This allows me to go on to do physics BSc at cardiff. I was wondering whether it was possible to transfer to a better university to do physics after my foundation year at cardiff? I want to transfer to Birmingham university to do physics if i can since i live there and would like to live at home. Im willing to work my ass off during this foundation year to get a high enough percentage. please help

Scroll to see replies

I did a foundation year to go onto study Pharmacy @ Keele and got 70% in all modules. Friends are heading to Queen Mary's, KCL, Loughborough etc. I am currently being considered at Nottingham. Definitely you can transfer universities if you do extremely well. I would recommend emailing universities that you like of what they want you to achieve in the foundation year.

Hope that helps. :biggrin:
Update: Now in my final year @ NOTTS pharmacy x DM me for further questions x
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Elocin505
I did a foundation year to go onto study Pharmacy @ Keele and got 70% in all modules. Friends are heading to Queen Mary's, KCL, Loughborough etc. I am currently being considered at Nottingham. Definitely you can transfer universities if you do extremely well. I would recommend emailing universities that you like of what they want you to achieve in the foundation year.

thanks i will do :smile:
Reply 3

However i am doing engineering with foundation year which does allow me to go onto study physics at cardiff but I'm not sure about other universities. Its an advances course on maths, physics and computer science and so allows me to go onto study physics at cardiff. Im kinda worried that universities will see the engineering foundation year and not allow me to study physics :frown:
Original post by Ibmonster
However i am doing engineering with foundation year which does allow me to go onto study physics at cardiff but I'm not sure about other universities. Its an advances course on maths, physics and computer science and so allows me to go onto study physics at cardiff. Im kinda worried that universities will see the engineering foundation year and not allow me to study physics :frown:

That is perfectly fine. Universities will understand and may ask that you need to get a higher percentage in any Physics modules in the Foundation year than any others or need to get a specific percentage for all modules (e.g. 65% and above). As well as, you won't be the only FY student they will have taken.

A friend did Maths and Physics with a FY and was told to get 65% throughout his modules to get into Loughborough to study Engineering.

Just email what the universities want so you know how much you need to study. You will do fine.
Reply 5
That is perfectly fine. Universities will understand and may ask that you need to get a higher percentage in any Physics modules in the Foundation year than any others or need to get a specific percentage for all modules (e.g. 65% and above). As well as, you won't be the only FY student they will have taken.

A friend did Maths and Physics with a FY and was told to get 65% throughout his modules to get into Loughborough to study Engineering.

Just email what the universities want so you know how much you need to study. You will do fine.

ok ill just email them and ask. Thanks a lot for the help. I was kinda worried :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
You can - usually you require both universities to agree to it, beyond any specific requirements for yourself to achieve though. Some may not be as scrupulous, but it's a simple courtesy at the very least to keep everyone informed and it all above board.
University of Nottingham told me that they don't accept external foundation students, unless they were one grade off from entering a direct entry into a full degree course, otherwise they only accept internal foundation students that are doing a foundation course within Nottingham.
Reply 8
Original post by MrGenius123
University of Nottingham told me that they don't accept external foundation students, unless they were one grade off from entering a direct entry into a full degree course, otherwise they only accept internal foundation students that are doing a foundation course within Nottingham.

At the moment i know that manchester, birmingham, durham and oxford do it. Im just waiting for emails from the other universities.
Original post by MrGenius123

Well, I am an external foundation year student heading to Nottingham Uni, I failed my A-levels big time and successfully did a foundation year with a 80% average. I am not moving universities because I want to (as I love my last uni), I am moving because Nottingham offered and it is 6th in the world for my course.
Reply 10
Well, I am an external foundation year student heading to Nottingham Uni, I failed my A-levels big time and successfully did a foundation year with a 80% average. I am not moving universities because I want to (as I love my last uni), I am moving because Nottingham offered and it is 6th in the world for my course.

Hi! I’m currently studying Foundation year in Computer Science with average grades and want to move to Brighton Uni for Year 1. I don’t have Alevels but only GCSEs with C’s in all the subjects. Is there a possibility of me getting any offers? Should I just give up or is it worth trying? And any advice for me? Thanks!
How and when will you get your Foundation grades to the new uni

Pharmacy? I am in a similar position to you. Did they offer you the course with bad grades. Did you need to get a high percentage in your course???
Hi ibrahim, I'm wondering have u successfully transferred to Birmingham Uni ? What (foundation year) result did Birmingham want from you ?
Original post by pupilroom
Hi ibrahim, I'm wondering have u successfully transferred to Birmingham Uni ? What (foundation year) result did Birmingham want from you ?

I'm really curious as well.
Original post by evaristegalois
I'm really curious as well.

Yh same here. Bit confused the process of transferring...Apparently, we need to email the Unis and tell them your current course. We also need to provide a recent assessment result as well. So I might just wait when I finish my first exam and then apply on UCAS. Btw can I ask what unis are you planning to transfer to ?

So, I am doing a pharmacy foundation year at dmu, I need 65% overall to get into pharmacy at dmu. I want to transfer to Keele for the first year of pharmacy IF I can get into pharmacy at dmu. I have asked Keele if they would accept me and they said that they would consider me if I get 75% on every module of the foundation year. Do I apply for the transfer now (January 2019,) , or should I wait to see if I get the grades then ask to transfer once I am in the pharmacy course at dmu (September 2019), just incase I don't get the grades and so ill stay at dmu.
Original post by Beastylki579
Pharmacy? I am in a similar position to you. Did they offer you the course with bad grades. Did you need to get a high percentage in your course???

I needed to get a good foundation year grade @ KEELE but then Nottingham were asking for the same grades. Then transferred.
When do you start applying for foundation year transfer? After doing the foundation year or do tell them before the year ends.
Please let me know if you got in, i'm considering this option after my foundation year :smile:

Latest