The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was told Camp America don't accept sign language users applicants, is this true? I would love to join Camp America one day.
Original post by missbritishgal17
I was told Camp America don't accept sign language users applicants, is this true? I would love to join Camp America one day.

Hey! I'm not sure where you heard that from as it definitely isn't true and we have had people on the programme before who have been hard of hearing/deaf and we review every applicant on a case by case basis. Once you submit your application our medical coordinator will review all the information on your medical background and then get in touch with you :smile:

I hope this helps! - Sophie
Reply 3
Is there a specific time when the 2019 application will open??
Hey just curious are much people hired at the recruitment fairs? I know a few people who went and said it was a waste of travel because there are that many people there the chances of being hired are so slim. I'm wondering would it even be worth my time as I'd have to travel from Ireland over to the UK for the fairs. :/
Original post by sgv
Is there a specific time when the 2019 application will open??

Hey! 2019 applications will open July 2018 :smile: - Sophie
Original post by Amy-Lee TN
Hey just curious are much people hired at the recruitment fairs? I know a few people who went and said it was a waste of travel because there are that many people there the chances of being hired are so slim. I'm wondering would it even be worth my time as I'd have to travel from Ireland over to the UK for the fairs. :/

Hey there! We hired 2000+ people at our 2017 fairs so there is a great chance of placement! Obviously we don't want you to spend a lot of money on travel, especially coming from Ireland! So it's completely up to you and if not you can still get placed online with no problems! - Sophie
Hi I was curious how long after the interview it takes to know if you've passed the interview process or not. It's been just over 2 weeks since my interview and I haven't heard anything back about passing it or failing it. It would be great if anyone could help me out here, how long did it take for you guys to find out?
Original post by Official Camp America
Hey everyone!

This is a chat for you to ask any questions you like about the programme, or meet others doing camp/maybe even heading to the same camp as you!

If you haven't yet applied to the programme, our applications are open so head over to www.campamerica.co.uk to find out more :smile:

Thanks!

The Camp America Team

Hi,

I'm pretty interested in doing this next year. I was wondering how many hours you work a week on average and how many days do you get off a week? :smile:
Original post by Tobesomeone13
Hi,

I'm pretty interested in doing this next year. I was wondering how many hours you work a week on average and how many days do you get off a week? :smile:

Hey there!

You are most likely to get a 24 hour period off a week, alongside a couple hours each day too. It is a 24/7 job as you're responsible for the kids there, however it never feels like work as you'll be having so much fun! Many people tend to go off and explore their local areas on their days off too!

Do you have any other questions?
Reply 10
Hi, I'd actually be doing it at the earliest in 2019 but I have some questions. With the free travel after the camp, do people generally go travelling with people they've met at the camp? I'm just worried about applying alone and therefore not knowing anyone who can go around America with me. Also, with the travelling, how do people tend to go from place to place in the month after camp? I'm uninformed about how travelling to different parts of America tends to work. Is the money that funds this travelling usually from what was earned at the camp, or is it best to have money saved beforehand?

Also, how likely is it that you'll get a place at a camp? Is it competitive or are there places for almost everyone?
Original post by e2014
Hi, I'd actually be doing it at the earliest in 2019 but I have some questions. With the free travel after the camp, do people generally go travelling with people they've met at the camp? I'm just worried about applying alone and therefore not knowing anyone who can go around America with me. Also, with the travelling, how do people tend to go from place to place in the month after camp? I'm uninformed about how travelling to different parts of America tends to work. Is the money that funds this travelling usually from what was earned at the camp, or is it best to have money saved beforehand?

Also, how likely is it that you'll get a place at a camp? Is it competitive or are there places for almost everyone?

Hey! Great to hear you're interested in the programme! People generally go travelling with the friends they've met at camp - it's highly unlikely you won't have other internationals on your camp so they'll always be lots of people you're able to travel with, who want to go to similar places! People will take domestic flights, rent cars, travel with Americans who already have cars, or go by megabus/greyhound which is very popular! You can definitely use the money you earnt at camp, but we always recommend bringing some more just in case you head to some cities/want to do anything pricey or a bit of shopping in New York City!

We place over 8000 people on our programme, so there is a huge chance of getting placed!! We recommend getting your application in early for the highest chance of placement.

Do you have any other questions at all?

Sophie
Would you recommend going before uni?? I know I really want to do it but I just don't know when!!
What is the likelihood of applying with a friend and being placed in the same camp as them?
Hi, I'm thinking of doing Camp 2018 but the only thing stopping me is the whole leaving home part. I know it sounds silly but I'm dead close with my family and when I started uni last year I found leaving home awful and went home each weekend, which obviously isn't possible at camp. Any info or tips will be greatly apreaciated! Thanks xx
Original post by RSegerBernard
Would you recommend going before uni?? I know I really want to do it but I just don't know when!!

Hey!! Lots of people go before they begin University so this is very common and you wouldn't be alone! I'd say apply as soon as you're available as it's an opportunity you don't want to miss! Do you have any other questions?

Sophie
Original post by beverley10
What is the likelihood of applying with a friend and being placed in the same camp as them?

Hey, we don't accept joint applications unfortunately as camps do like to place people by themselves. You're welcome to head to a Recruitment Fair and go over to the same camp, but we can't guarantee you'd get placed together. I hope this helps!
Original post by Stephie22
Hi, I'm thinking of doing Camp 2018 but the only thing stopping me is the whole leaving home part. I know it sounds silly but I'm dead close with my family and when I started uni last year I found leaving home awful and went home each weekend, which obviously isn't possible at camp. Any info or tips will be greatly apreaciated! Thanks xx

Hey there! Lots of people are initially scared about this, however when you head to camp you'll have an amazing camp family there too! You'll find that because you're constantly busy and making lots of new friends, there isn't much time to feel homesick. You're also able to skype/call/send letters on your off time too! You'll be going with lots of other internationals so they'll all be able to understand and you can all look out for each other. Do you have any other questions? Sophie
Original post by Official Camp America
Hey there! Lots of people are initially scared about this, however when you head to camp you'll have an amazing camp family there too! You'll find that because you're constantly busy and making lots of new friends, there isn't much time to feel homesick. You're also able to skype/call/send letters on your off time too! You'll be going with lots of other internationals so they'll all be able to understand and you can all look out for each other. Do you have any other questions? Sophie

Are you on the flight with other camp America people? If so are you seated together? X
Reply 19
Hi, I am from Thailand and wondering if I'm eligible for the camps? Should I apply online or just go to one of the recruitment fair since I am studying in the UK? How long would it take roughly for online application to be ale to know the result, and do I need to do an interview if I am applying online?

Latest