The Student Room Group

(Trying to cheat the system) Edexcel A level Maths,

I have just completed A level maths getting a strong A (one mark off an A*, which was not very fun to see, gonna get it remarked in hopes of getting that extra mark). My plan this year is to earn money for 6 months and then go travelling in Asia. However I was looking into doing a further math qualification to boost my chances at uni well also giving me something to do well I work.
Looking into it seemed like a lot of extra exams until I came across the Pure Maths qualification, this qualification requires C1,C2,C3,C4,FP1,FP2. This would mean that I would only be required to sit FP1,FP2. (With the idea that I could reuses my previous exams). Further looking into it I add up my UMS in the exams that I have already sat and discover that I would in total have 370UMS which would me that for Pure Maths qualification I would need to gain 55 UMS marks in FP1 and FP2 to get an A overall.
My question is would I be able to reuses my C1-C4?
Would I be able to sit the FP1 and FP2 in another country (IAL)?
Is this even possible even if I sat the FP1 and FP2 in the UK?
Reply 1
maths.png
Hear is the specification for Pure maths
I'm not certain, but I think you could "cash out" your modules and cash them in again with the added FP1/FP2 modules once you sit them -- as long as you don't try to reuse the same modules to gain two different qualifications, of course. I remember discussing this with my teacher and Edexcel around 4-5 years ago when I had completed the 18 modules, and this came up when we were talking about the module distributions -- I think it can be done, yes.

I'm not sure if there's a way you can get Pure Maths and FM, though. The two don't seem compatible, as per the table above.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by kyle1
I have just completed A level maths getting a strong A (one mark off an A*, which was not very fun to see, gonna get it remarked in hopes of getting that extra mark). My plan this year is to earn money for 6 months and then go travelling in Asia. However I was looking into doing a further math qualification to boost my chances at uni well also giving me something to do well I work.
Looking into it seemed like a lot of extra exams until I came across the Pure Maths qualification, this qualification requires C1,C2,C3,C4,FP1,FP2. This would mean that I would only be required to sit FP1,FP2. (With the idea that I could reuses my previous exams). Further looking into it I add up my UMS in the exams that I have already sat and discover that I would in total have 370UMS which would me that for Pure Maths qualification I would need to gain 55 UMS marks in FP1 and FP2 to get an A overall.

No
Yes but you could not combine it with uk A level unit results, you would also have to sit C12 and C34. Note: Universities are fully aware of the overlap between the pure maths and regular maths A levels. They would not permit you to count both towards meeting entry requirements.
No

Quick Reply

Latest