The Student Room Group

Special consideration - Bereavement

Hi guys,

I applied for special consideration, as for last year I tragically lost my mum (It wasn't a natural death). I was off for a whole year in year 10 due to bereavement, and came back mid year 11 to try my hardest to revise the curriculum of 5 gcse subjects (Maths, Science, English and my 2 chosen subjects) in the space of 4 months leading to the actual exams.

I'm so anxious and nervous (the normal symptoms), and I'm worried that if I don't pass any of these subjects I wont have any Gcse's at all. The percentage of the Special consideration is the only hope I have.

Is a 5% enough to get me a pass grade?

Thank you for reading, it would mean alot for a response.

Kind regards.
Original post by Henna0108
Hi guys,

I applied for special consideration, as for last year I tragically lost my mum (It wasn't a natural death). I was off for a whole year in year 10 due to bereavement, and came back mid year 11 to try my hardest to revise the curriculum of 5 gcse subjects (Maths, Science, English and my 2 chosen subjects) in the space of 4 months leading to the actual exams.

I'm so anxious and nervous (the normal symptoms), and I'm worried that if I don't pass any of these subjects I wont have any Gcse's at all. The percentage of the Special consideration is the only hope I have.

Is a 5% enough to get me a pass grade?

Thank you for reading, it would mean alot for a response.

Kind regards.

Hi there,

I'm really very sorry to hear that you lost your mum last year - that must have been so difficult for you and I hope you're taking care of yourself and that you're not putting too much stress on yourself. It's really admirable that you went ahead with your GCSEs and by what you've said - it looks like you've been given the 5% special consideration?

Nobody can confidently answer whether or not it will affect your grades or not, but whatever you get it will be absolutely fine and we're here to support you no matter what - try and take some time for yourself today and relax, take some time out - perhaps go to the park? Or even perhaps watch a film and just chill out? Get some good food, make sure you're drinking and just try not to think about it if you can. Worrying and stressing too much might really tire you out and the excess stress could make you feel unwell - we don't want that!

All the very best of luck - I'm sure you will be absolutely fine!
Hey there, I'm so sorry to hear you've been through so much. I've missed out on basically the entire last 3 years of school because of being seriously ill and have special consideration too. Chances are the 5% will help you a lot, depending which exams you do the pass marks are generally very low - you basically pass if you just write your name on it, They will also take other things into consideration too not just the 5% and look at your predicted grades if you missed exams or had a really bad day in some exams.

Overall you should class it as a huge win, doing your exams even just turning up for them. I'm sure you will do better than you think, and the 4 months studying I'm sure have more than likely ensured you have at least passed them. Even if you haven't there are other options, but you should be proud you even turned up for them, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow wishing you the best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest