The Student Room Group

Total hours revision for GCSE

Just about to go into Year 11, how many hours IN TOTAL would you suggest revising for? Thinking of beginning revision in March/ April
Start revision as soon as you can.
Hell, write down short summaries of what you did in class each day or at least note the topics. That way you won't have to do so many notes later and can simply start scanning through them for revision purposes.
Reply 2
Original post by Tejiburger999
Just about to go into Year 11, how many hours IN TOTAL would you suggest revising for? Thinking of beginning revision in March/ April

Normally people revise more when the exams are much closer.

E.g 3 weeks before my first exam I did about 5 hours of revision everyday.

In the March/April period I focused by revision on subjects that I need help in, (English language and lit) and subjects that I am going to do in Six form (Maths and Physics).
I would definitely say that it depends on the quality of revision not quantity of hours you revise. Do revision activities that actually help you learn/remember the content instead of just doing something that won't help you or a topic you already know how to do.
Hours doesn't equal grades.
My advice: start now, sleep later
I started revision in December and did an average of 2 hours a day, the this increased to 3 hours a day 3 weeks before and during the exam period. I calculated that I did about 400 hours of revision
Reply 7
The whole day just revise with some 15 mins break of course but seriously revise...

Like 700 hours?? I'm not too sure TBH but all I would say as one piece of advice is start your English notes in January, start all those mind maps or summaries or whatever you do early because I didn't, I started in the Easter holidays and I was having to do about 4/5 hours a day which was hell. Start early and it'll be easy.
Not too early because you will burn out... Start maybe a month or two before your exams begin and properly concentrate hard, that way you will peak as your exams start :smile: It worked for me last year so I'm assuming it will still work with the new system
(total hours about 200)
Get your notes and resources ready (like notes, flashcards etc) before March, and concentrate on understanding the content throughout the year, you're much more likely to remember it then. Then in April, do all the past papers you can find :smile: I would say maybe about an hour a day at the beginning of the year, and 4-5 hours during study leave
Reply 11

just make sure it's quality revision, and don't start revising loads too early. i didn't even do that much and i still lost motivation by the end, so much that i did no revision for my last exam.
I started revising in the last week in February but that was just little things like French vocabulary and making finishing revisin resources. I started revising properly in around the second week in march and did 3 hours every night after school and around 4 hours on weekends and during half term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending