Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    That's rich coming from you! :rolleyes:
    I dont believe distasteful has ever been something ive succeeded in.

another topic: how much coverage has this got?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040901/D84R3NQO1.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    what an ugly state the world is in
    what is the common theme here? terrorism. and yet people are still belittling Bush's war on terror as we speak!

ReputationRep:
    what kids have got to do with the war??!!! thats just horrible! how could they do smth like that especially on the first day of school, which is always such a big thing in Russia. What kinda memory the kids r gonna have after all this, that is if they r still alive! I ll be terrified of going to school!Those chechens r jus heartless!!!
    They obviously leave Putin with such a difficult choice to make. I havent got a clue wat he's gonna do.I m pretty sure he's not gonna withraw his troops from Chechnya cos that will jus mean that he's failed but if those chechens do what they promise to do, if he doesnt obey, then that's it for Putin!
    Has any1 seen the footage, where the Russian parent ( a father) was trying to go in and the ppl were holding him back? I had goosebumps as I watched it, I felt so sorry for them cos there is really nothing those parents can do to save their children!And how terrifing it is for those parents to hear the gunshots and not knowing whether their child is still alive!

I do agree with u ppl that the british TV keeps it low profiled.They should've been showing it 'live on ' at least one of the channels, to keep us up to date! Instead it seems that the introduction of the 'new germ killer' is the more important news! :mad:

One more thing y the hell r they calling those chechens, 'rebels'?!!! they r f*** terrorists!

ReputationRep:
    Though I suspect they might be better equipped to neutralize such a situation in the US.
    It's difficult to be certain about that. The 'rebels' who have taken these hostages seem thus far to be quite capable. Even by western standards the situation in 02 when Chechen fighters took control of the Moscow Theatre was difficult to diffuse (the use of a prototype gas to sedate the terrorists was a tragedy).

Equipment probably isn't the issue here, it's the ability to negotiate, that, or able to apply force effectively (and I doubt many people would openly discredit the ability of the Spetznaz). W.r.t. media impact in the US, I think it would headline more, Columbine certainly showed us that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    It's difficult to be certain about that. The 'rebels' who have taken these hostages seem thus far to be quite capable. Even by western standards the situation in 02 when Chechen fighters took control of the Moscow Theatre was difficult to diffuse (the use of a prototype gas to sedate the terrorists was a tragedy).
    I have a rather crude, unfounded image in my head that schools in the US will have more access for services, and more security generally. I.e CCTV, air con. systems, communications systems. And this will somehow help.

I understand that technology is rather useless when people are quite willing to blow themselves up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    what is the common theme here? terrorism. and yet people are still belittling Bush's war on terror as we speak!
    Clearly few people here wouldn't want to eliminate terrorism. Maybe they consider Bush's war on terror ineffective, or even counterproductive.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly few people here wouldn't want to eliminate terrorism. Maybe they consider Bush's war on terror ineffective, or even counterproductive.

Exactly. I disagree with terror but I do not think that war is the answer. I am not a pacifist but it is clear that the war on terror has done nothing to help the situation while it has killed many civilians.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Exactly. I disagree with terror but I do not think that war is the answer. I am not a pacifist but it is clear that the war on terror has done nothing to help the situation while it has killed many civilians.

MB
    - the war on terror refers to a broad and multi-faceted opposition to defeat terror, military engagement being just one of many.
    - the war on terror goes on, it is not over. it will not end until terrorism and fanatical islam in particular, is beaten. years, decades, centuries maybe
    - the West has sustained very few casualties to terror since this campaign began. intelligence figures suggest over 300+ attacks to US soil alone have been prevented.
    - how can you tell me the situation could not have been worse?
    - do you believe that the war was going to be won in a few months, a few papers signed by the terrorists, their wrists slapped and then any threat eradicated?
    - you 'disagree with terrorism', but dont believe in fighting it. what are your proposals?

ReputationRep:
    I have a rather crude, unfounded image in my head that schools in the US will have more access for services, and more security generally. I.e CCTV, air con. systems, communications systems. And this will somehow help.

I understand that technology is rather useless when people are quite willing to blow themselves up.
    The problem is that Russia has quite a hard line stance with Chechnya, thus negotiations are not likely to be particularly flexible on the political front. Not sure how much US technology can help unfortunately, we all wish that our western advances can safeguard us, especially if we're ever in need! It's never that simple though , it may come down to forceful intervention and that can always be a gamble even amongst the most elite of forces.

ReputationRep:
    Chechnyan terrorists arent very good; 50 kids have escaped already. one day they're gonna wake up and find they left the front door open.

ReputationRep:
    intelligence figures suggest over 300+ attacks to US soil alone have been prevented
    That's an extremely shakey 'fact'.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't they just do something with gas again? Only this time, don't kill half the people.

ReputationRep:
    That's an extremely shakey 'fact'.
    which is why i suggested an approximate figure based on intelligence sources ive seen.

ReputationRep:
    which is why i suggested an approximate figure based on intelligence sources ive seen.
    perhaps he meant shakey due to the *******s the intelligence has been proven to be churning out regarding terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't they just do something with gas again? Only this time, don't kill half the people.
    They used a form of anaesthetic which was altered into a gas form. This is somewhat of a black art though I'm no expert in chemistry. Apparently many countries have been pursuing the aim of a safe, fast acting, knock-out gas. The Russians took a gamble and it didn't pay off last time, and if they end up killing children, even worse.

There is an inherent flaw that the war on 'terror' is a complete matter of opinion (though I am certain this has been debated many times now). Confidence in the intelligence community at any rate is not at an all time high currently. Terrorist 'chatter', alert levels and other such details seem more like political tokens than hard facts.

ReputationRep:
    They used a form of anaesthetic which was altered into a gas form. This is somewhat of a black art though I'm no expert in chemistry. Apparently many countries have been pursuing the aim of a safe, fast acting, knock-out gas. The Russians took a gamble and it didn't pay off last time, and if they end up killing children, even worse.
    It is hard to imagine the logistics of it. I mean surely one of the hostage takers is going to say "oh crap, I'm feeling sleepy and several people have collapsed, better press the button."

It seems slightly more viable than storming though.

ReputationRep:

Some schools in the US have tons of security, like metal detectors and cops stationed there. However it sounded like this school had cops there, i dunno if any amount of security could have stopped them, thats the really scary part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Some schools in the US have tons of security, like metal detectors and cops stationed there. However it sounded like this school had cops there, i dunno if any amount of security could have stopped them, thats the really scary part
    why is it scary? the US of A is a powerhouse of security. sit tight and you have nothing to worry about. just dont ride planes or stand around in key political buildings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    why is it scary? the US of A is a powerhouse of security. sit tight and you have nothing to worry about. just dont ride planes or stand around in key political buildings.
    I was talking about school security.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I was talking about school security.
    I stress this as a joke but perhaps some of the kids could provide some close quarters firearm support also :rolleyes:

The problem is the US requires such security - inevitable from their politics, it's difficult to please everyone.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.