The Student Room Group

Retaking

2 years ago I started year 12 but i failed due to mental health circumstances and then I retook but again due to my mental health issues I failed again. At the time I was taking biology, chemistry and maths on the basis of doing medicine but this year after a lot of thought I decided to change my career path to law. I didn't enjoy those subjects but did them as a "necessity", law didn't have any subject requirements so I've decided to take the subjects I actually enjoy which are completely different and start year 12 again. I called UCL and told them and they said it won't affect my application only if I redid A2.
My questions is, will universities consider my application still because of my circumstances and changing my subjects anyway or will I basically not be able to enter uni at all or is it just UCL?
Original post by Smaaham
2 years ago I started year 12 but i failed due to mental health circumstances and then I retook but again due to my mental health issues I failed again. At the time I was taking biology, chemistry and maths on the basis of doing medicine but this year after a lot of thought I decided to change my career path to law. I didn't enjoy those subjects but did them as a "necessity", law didn't have any subject requirements so I've decided to take the subjects I actually enjoy which are completely different and start year 12 again. I called UCL and told them and they said it won't affect my application only if I redid A2.
My questions is, will universities consider my application still because of my circumstances and changing my subjects anyway or will I basically not be able to enter uni at all or is it just UCL?

For your own sake you need to get on top of the MH issue.

Law schools generally wont care and especially if you are doing new subjects. Even if you were doing resits then its only the top unis that it would make much of a difference, even then it might be slightly higher grades due to it being resits.

You will be fine, but of you are applying for the very best then do read the entrance policy beforehand as they can be more stringent or specific.
Original post by Smaaham

Just tagging in uni of surrey
Original post by Smaaham

Hi @Smaaham,

This shouldn't stop you entering uni, don't worry :smile:

I would give the unis you're thinking of applying to a ring before you list them on your UCAS to double check though. Make sure to look after yourself and maybe look into the wellbeing services that different unis have available too, as you want to keep yourself on the right track when you get there. Plenty of universities offer free counselling sessions and other services so you should be well supported during your time at uni. :smile:

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley
Reply 4
Original post by Danny Dorito
Just tagging in uni of surrey

Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š
Reply 5
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi @Smaaham,

This shouldn't stop you entering uni, don't worry :smile:

I would give the unis you're thinking of applying to a ring before you list them on your UCAS to double check though. Make sure to look after yourself and maybe look into the wellbeing services that different unis have available too, as you want to keep yourself on the right track when you get there. Plenty of universities offer free counselling sessions and other services so you should be well supported during your time at uni. :smile:

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley

Thank you so much, this really put me at ease ๐Ÿ˜Š
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
For your own sake you need to get on top of the MH issue.

Law schools generally wont care and especially if you are doing new subjects. Even if you were doing resits then its only the top unis that it would make much of a difference, even then it might be slightly higher grades due to it being resits.

You will be fine, but of you are applying for the very best then do read the entrance policy beforehand as they can be more stringent or specific.

I'll make sure I do, thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š

Quick Reply

Latest