The Student Room Group

Do i have a chance to apply for medicine??

I am predicted 3 A*'s at second year in the subjects of maths, biology and chemistry. However in my GSCE'S i only obtained 5 A's:
Maths, Biology Chemistry, Computing and English Literature
4B'S:
Geography, History, Religious Education and Physics.
2C'S:
English Language and German.
The problem is My C in English Language and my GSCE'S being just average.
I am taking my UKCAT Test in a few weeks and i am thinking if i do really well in it and my second year of college as well as work experience within a medical environment, i may have a chance? Any Help?
Reply 1
Original post by jojo7878
I am predicted 3 A*'s at second year in the subjects of maths, biology and chemistry. However in my GSCE'S i only obtained 5 A's:
4B'S:
2C'S:
I am taking my UKCAT Test in a few weeks and i am thinking if i do really well in it and my second year of college as well as work experience within a medical environment, i may have a chance? Any Help?

Apply to your strengths. If your A-Levels/UKCAT are really good then apply to medical schools which emphasize on them. Avoid GCSE heavy universities like Cardiff and Birmingham.
Original post by jojo7878
4B'S:
2C'S:

Medical schools which accept a C in english language include:
Aberdeen: Academics are scored pre interview along with UKCAT.
Cambridge: Heavy emphasis placed on predicted grades and BMAT. tend to prefer 3 science Alevels.
Exeter: Heavy emphasis placed on predicted grades and UKCAT.
Leicester: use a combination of academic scoring (GCSE and Alevels) and UKCAT.
Newcastle: Like high UKCAT score, must meet UKCAT threshold to be invited to interview.
Plymouth: Like high UKCAT score (including each subsection), must meet UKCAT total and sectional thresholds to be invited to interview.
Queens Belfast: score GCSE results and UKCAT score to invite to interview.

As you can see with the C in english your choices are very limited. You will need a very good UKCAT score (and BMAT if you want to try for cambridge).

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending