Any hope in hell I have a chance at Cornell? PhD entry...

Watch
AlexPS
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey Everyone,

I was initially on course to graduate with a 1st from my undergrad degree. Life happened. Now I will struggle to make a solid mid-upper 2:1. Bah.

I am 25 but none of my past work experience is directly related to my subject (Psychology). Given the above, does anyone know if my application will even be considered? If so I imagine it depends on how solid my PhD proposal is, which would be a relief.

It's a lot of money to spend on tests, application, etc if I don't stand a chance...

Thanks!

- Alex
username2789280
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It will be considered, but it might not be accepted. Only way to know is to apply. Unless of course you don't meet their minimum requirements - I suggest you find out what those are from the university themselves.

Why Cornell? It's not usually a very helpful strategy to set your heart on one university - especially one of the most competitive in the world - and discount others. You will be best served by finding potential supervisors in many departments whose research interests line up with yours
AlexPS
Rep:
?
(Original post by worldender)
It will be considered, but it might not be accepted. Only way to know is to apply. Unless of course you don't meet their minimum requirements - I suggest you find out what those are from the university themselves.

Why Cornell? It's not usually a very helpful strategy to set your heart on one university - especially one of the most competitive in the world - and discount others. You will be best served by finding potential supervisors in many departments whose research interests line up with yours
I will need to contact them directly as their website doesn't publish that information, or I couldn't find it! Thought I'd ask here too (: .

I am interested in Cornell due to personal factors (location and funding), and also my research interests align. Unfortunately the options for East coast Universities with alligning interests is a relatively short list of high end schools! The 'Ivy league' label isn't my highest priority.

Thanks for your reply!
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What is your GRE and any other schools? Tough to put all your eggs in one basket
AlexPS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tcannon)
What is your GRE and any other schools? Tough to put all your eggs in one basket
I have yet to apply for the GRE as again, expenses. It's a difficult catch22 and I'm not exactly wealthy hah. Yale seems to be the only other school aligning with my specific research aim, in fact it would possibly be a better fit academically... just less so personally. I'm very much a big city guy, it inspires me. Again a ridiculously competitive school... I wouldn't mind less prestigious at all if it aligned well and had good scholarships.

Perhaps I just need to suck it up, cough up the money and work the hell out of the GRE to really answer my own question...
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cornell and Yale require top percentile for admitted PhD applicants. Look at the profile stats and applicants to places ratio. I think you underestimate the severity of the task as it requires studying. Most schools have application deadline in December.

(Original post by AlexPS)
I have yet to apply for the GRE as again, expenses. It's a difficult catch22 and I'm not exactly wealthy hah. Yale seems to be the only other school aligning with my specific research aim, in fact it would possibly be a better fit academically... just less so personally. I'm very much a big city guy, it inspires me. Again a ridiculously competitive school... I wouldn't mind less prestigious at all if it aligned well and had good scholarships.

Perhaps I just need to suck it up, cough up the money and work the hell out of the GRE to really answer my own question...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise