The Student Room Group

Uni Choice, What Should I do?

I'm hoping some of you smart guys can help me out :smile:
So basically my end goal is to end up in a large IB firm, in M & A or another division, Front Office.
I am currently heading to Bath studying Straight Econ, which although it is a target uni for IB firms is not one of the highest out there (just in top 10). My A levels results are above my predicted grades which to me seemed unachievable (and are far above what is needed by any uni to study Economics).

What I was wondering is whether what university you go to is a massive deciding factor on whether you get an IB job or not; granted if you go to Oxford you are instantly though of as smart but if you go to someplace like UCL, which is highly known worldwide and is top 3 on IB targets as opposed to Bath which is top 10 on IB targets will it make a drastic difference to your application?

SO basically I am asking whether I should just stay on at Bath or apply to other universities such as UCL which are higher up the list (I already applied to Oxford although didnt do practice for entrance exam , and Warwick)
bath isn't a target but it's still a viable uni for banking, so long as you have the right motivation, submit a strong application, show the relevant interest, network accordingly and have the resilience to get through the process and applications.
Reply 2
Original post by gr8wizard10
bath isn't a target but it's still a viable uni for banking, so long as you have the right motivation, submit a strong application, show the relevant interest, network accordingly and have the resilience to get through the process and applications.

Thanks for the reply :smile:
Ive heard it is a target but a relatively weak one, i.e. only some banks visit it - apparently on a par with Bristol and Nottingham
If employers don't visit, then you make applications for vac schemes etc so that you visit them instead.

Is your Bath degree one with a year in industry?
Original post by aliguy
Thanks for the reply :smile:
Ive heard it is a target but a relatively weak one, i.e. only some banks visit it - apparently on a par with Bristol and Nottingham

semi-target, as they refer to it as
Reply 5
Original post by Crumpet1
If employers don't visit, then you make applications for vac schemes etc so that you visit them instead.

Is your Bath degree one with a year in industry?

No but I plan on switching as soon as I get there to the 4 year course :smile:
Original post by aliguy
No but I plan on switching as soon as I get there to the 4 year course :smile:

Good plan!
Reply 7
Good plan!

How come, do you know people who have gone there doing both?
Original post by aliguy
How come, do you know people who have gone there doing both?

No but I'm pretty sure that's why their graduate employment statistics are so great.
Reply 9
No but I'm pretty sure that's why their graduate employment statistics are so great.

Literally why I chose Bath over Bristol & Notts, and the fact that i liked it more. 3 year course is like 70% grad employment compared to 4 yr

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending