Marine Geography - Cardiff Watch

e.smith2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, interested in studying Marine Geography at Cardiff as I love everything to do with the ocean and coastlines, however I'm not a fan of Oceanography as it's too biology based for me. I'm wondering how much biology there is on the course at Cardiff? Thanks
amcbarnet
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
After four years studying Marine Geography I can highly recommend it, so many people are turned off by geology in first year but.. it’s first year.. the rest of the course broadens out to more marine based modules like meteorology, coral reef studies, marine conservation etc. The staff actually care too, always around and happy to help. The field courses are great fun, on what other degree can you go snorkelling in Spain or Malta doing marine biology or be on a boat in the sun in Jersey. Overall, great course and opens SO many doors to future careers. In my experience employers love this degree, it’s diverse and gives you so many skills both inside and outside of the degree. So if you’re about to start this degree.. CONGRATULATIONS! You’ll have a blast
richt81
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi E. Smith,The course at present includes just one core first year Biology module, and one similar Chemistry module. These are compulsory, but assume little prior knowledge, and each module is just 10 credits worth of 120 credit total for the year. So not a huge proportion of the overall score. At Level 2 there is a 10 credit Biology based Marine Ecosystems module, and a Chemistry based Environmental Pollution module also 10 credits. But you should not be put off by these, they are not too difficult and all equations etc are well explained. The Biological Environments and Marine Ecosystems modules will involve some practical marine sampling i.e. going out on a fishing boat and trawling for samples, which is always fun! The Chemistry based modules may involve practical water sampling, these are essential modules to understand environmental and ecological flows, and ecosystem adaptations to human pollution. All very important for an Earth Scientist to get to grips with. The School also has great links with Sub Aqua providers, it is a good idea to get yourself on a Dive course if possible, you could find yourself examining marine life in all sorts of exotic locations!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads