My mother acts like my achievements are nothing Watch

lukerules1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Eg:

Getting 9A* and 1 A at GCSE; no congrats but a "why didn't you get 10A*"

After a really bad year 12 I pulled my socks up and had a brilliant year 13; I had to work incredibly hard to turn around that year 12 and get good A level results and get into a great uni. Despite my hard work, my mother says "well if you hadn't failed year 12 you needn't of worked so hard" (I did badly last year due to depression and poor teachers, not from lack of effort). No well done, no appreciation of the hardships etc.

After representing my county for football (y'know, a good thing !) she dismissed it saying "I would focus on studies rather than football, it's a waste of time"

I entered an essay into a national essay competition, and was highly commended (that is, in the top 7 out of 1000s of entries). Yet my mother says "You were entering essays into competitions when you should of been studying!?" and "Its not exactly winning is it?" and "Out of how many entries, 10?"(and no, she doesn't do 'banter'

Yeah. This is just a handful. of quips.

Are all mothers like this? Am I being arrogant thinking my achievements are good? I like to think she's dismissive so as to motivate me to do better in the future, but it annoys me how she never appreciates the good things I've done. I never do anything just for the sake of impressing others, but obviously it's different with mothers: you want there acceptance!

Any advice on how to act around it?
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just ignore her. You should never do things in the hope of seeking other people's admiration, but instead for being proud of yourself. I understand it sucks when it's your own parent, but her opinion shouldn't matter to you as long as you are proud of yourself.
username3186268
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That sucks, it's not unusual for parents to get jealous of their children. I've seen parents who are very jealous of their children's achievements especially if they lead regular "boring" lives. Just ignore her and keep up the good work.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
redbronze1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Overbearing parents are an unfortunate situation. Best thing to do is focus on your training and your work, but at some point you will have to confront her about it. Part of growing up is being your own man after all.
username3482522
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You shoot an arrow to their chest, whilst they are doing their buisness in their chamber pot.
FOOKING WEASEL
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let me just say, YOU ARE FOOKING CLEVER
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Ignore her. Judging by what you've said, you are VERY clever. Don't let her put you down. You achieve for your own benefit, not hers.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
hippieglitter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are incredible and she deserves a slap if she can't see that. The best mark i ever got at GCSE was a B and i only got two of them. At A level i ended up with a D and two E's. Some of us just aren't meant to be straight A students, but you worked hard for your grades and you deserve them. Don't expect praise cos you will always be disappointed, took me years and steady chipping away at my heart to learn that.
lukerules1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks all for the kind comments They've cheered me up big time
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I far outstripped my parents, peers, friends and family academically and yet, no one really gave me much encouragement, BUT it makes you self-motivated, and that's the best attribute you can possess, not someone telling you you're good enough, you telling yourself you're good enough.
karl pilkington
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sounds like a complete ***** to be honest tell her to lighten up and get off your case
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can relate, my dad said he doesn't think I'm clever enough to get into the career path I want even though I've got GCSE's, A Level, an undergraduate degree and a postgrad and he's got nothing some parents are just like that, I think, but it makes you want to work even harder to prove them wrong. As long as you're proud of your achievements, which you definitely should be, that's the main thing.
the one 123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
your mum just jealous that you had more achievements than her when she was your age,just ignore her
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.8%
No I am happy with my course choice (547)
59.46%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (131)
14.24%

Watched Threads