The Student Room Group

Media Studies A-Level or Film Studies A-Level?

I am thinking of taking either Media Studies or Film Studies for A-Level but I am not really sure which one to take? I know that Media Studies is more general than Film Studies as it studies TV, radio etc whereas FS only does in depth study of films haha

However, I was wondering which is more practical based and whether there are any essays? Also, what is the practical work? Pluuss, what would the essays be on and how long?

Also, I have not done either of these subjects for GCSE - will that mean I am left behind?

Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by clairejacob917
I am thinking of taking either Media Studies or Film Studies for A-Level but I am not really sure which one to take? I know that Media Studies is more general than Film Studies as it studies TV, radio etc whereas FS only does in depth study of films haha

However, I was wondering which is more practical based and whether there are any essays? Also, what is the practical work? Pluuss, what would the essays be on and how long?

Also, I have not done either of these subjects for GCSE - will that mean I am left behind?

Thanks.

1. No for being left behind.
2. Find out the exam board and ask teacher or look up the specification on the exam board website which will describe the components and tasks.
3. Id expect they both have essays as the main way of assessment.
Original post by 999tigger
1. No for being left behind.
2. Find out the exam board and ask teacher or look up the specification on the exam board website which will describe the components and tasks.
3. Id expect they both have essays as the main way of assessment.

Thank youu
Reply 3
I've just finished my A-Level Media course, and I can safely say it's one of the best subjects in which I have taken. You're right, it doesn't go into as much depth as Film Studies does, but that's because the general media is so large. My course mainly focused on 1. course work - this is 40% of your grade, which includes making a video (dependent on what unit you're studying) and then composing a written essay explaining the reasons etc. behind the created piece. 2. The exam - however you should have plenty of time to prepare for it. For the media studies exam, you tend to have case studies/sources that you need to reference all the way throughout the exam, as well as applying as much, but appropriate, media terminology as possible... this makes you sound more sophisticated, and knowledgeable (even if you're not 100% certain). The fact that you haven't studied media at GCSE isn't a huge disadvantage, it just means that you're as familiar with the media terminology... but don't worry, they'll be plenty of others in your shoes... your subject teacher will go though it all with everybody, no matter if they've taken the subject before. However, A-Levels are a huge step above GCSE's as the teacher's won't 'spoon feed' you all of the information... you're going to have to be resourceful and gather as much evidence/information as possible, so that it can strengthen your understanding.I can honestly say that Media Studies is a very enjoyable subject, that enables you to show your creative side, whether that'll be through your editing skills, cinematography skills, or even through your own perception, when analysing something (you'll tend to focus A LOT on representation). I say go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest