The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
silent ninja
No, but I was told in the interview I had one. If it's the standard one, it'll be unconditional:biggrin:

Anymore thought to where you're going?

Nice!

I'm really undecided, i can't decide whether i want to study in London or not. Like the course at Warwick, but then imperial and LSE have good reputations.

Where does Warwick come in your scheme of things?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Wraggy
Nice!

I'm really undecided, i can't decide whether i want to study in London or not. Like the course at Warwick, but then imperial and LSE have good reputations.

Where does Warwick come in your scheme of things?

It'll be my firm most probably. Decided I wanted to go there about... March last year :p: Not yet decided which course though, probably MORSE because I dont know what uni maths/stats are like, so I can dodge stuff i'm not good at :p: or dont enjoy due to the flexibility.

I know what you mean about London. Such a huge monster, lots to do and good networking. Have you been to the LSE and Imperial yet? These two have the bigger rep but I quite liked UCL better. Imperial has the 'grandeur' about it, LSE just seemed umm.. very businessy but in a good location next to Kings (I actually liked the location better than Kensington).

At least you can narrow your choices down a bit whether you want to do straight maths or less pure but more applied. On the LSE course, you can transfer to BMS which is a plus. Both of these are much more rigid than MORSE though (or indeed straight maths at Warwick). Reputation-wise, the Maths/Stats depts at Warwick are more highly rated than Imperial and LSE, and recruiters know that anyway.

None of the students I spoke to were having a hard time in terms of expense in London (but i didnt ask what their income was and/or if parents were supporting) so I wouldn't overly worry about that. The only thing that annoyed me was that none of the London uni's have a football pitch, gotta get a coach 45+ mins for a simple game!!:biggrin:
Reply 42
I didnt overly like LSE when i went to visit, it just didnt seem a nice as warwick or imperial, i didnt get the same feel for it. I personally preferred the location of imperial, especially halls in kensington!

It boils down to Maths or MORSE, and since i want to go into some sort of financial/actuarial career, MORSE seems to be a better option. But I don't know whether that is accurate from the point of view of an employer.

I would be happy at either place to be honest. That is why the decision is so hard!
Tough decision then.

You could head over to the finance and IB forums in the careers section on TSR. There are a few guys on there that can give advice in that respect.
Reply 44
Could anyone please give details as to what type of questions they were asked?
Reply 45
Could anyone please give details as to what type of questions they were asked?

I was only asked if I had any questions :smile: so my advice would be to think of one intelligent one (I asked about the intercalated year). Then we just chatted about Warwick as a campus, and the sports center because I'd written things about sport in my ps.. really.. dont worry!

(got an offer y'day btw)
Reply 46
jenny0502
I was only asked if I had any questions :smile: so my advice would be to think of one intelligent one (I asked about the intercalated year). Then we just chatted about Warwick as a campus, and the sports center because I'd written things about sport in my ps.. really.. dont worry!

(got an offer y'day btw)

Well done :smile: What's warwick gonna be - if anything - for you?

Regarding questions, i was asked why i wanted to study MORSE, and and questions about the course or the uni in general. There were 10 or so different lecturers so questions may vary slightly
Reply 47
I wasn't actually asked much - my interviewer talked about the university, the course , and I asked a few questions as he went along - it was honestly, on the whole, just a chat. I needn't have been so nervous. And I was also there at the silent interviews- Jan 15th? or was it 16th. I seem to have forgotten now. But I have to admit, i was one of the main contributers to the silence :biggrin: , mostly because of nerves (thinking was the interview going to be like cambridge??), and also I am pretty much a shy person anyway when I first meet people.

EDIT: and i did get an offer, received it about 2 weeks after interview
Reply 48
Well done What's warwick gonna be - if anything - for you?

erm... still deciding between that and LSE for my insurance :s still unsure... how about you? I gather from previous posts you're having a similar quandry lol.
Reply 49
So, who's firming MORSE?? I can't decide between it or LSE maths & econ aaaaah!
Reply 50
has anyone got an offer without further maths at either as or a2 as i think i might be rejected cause i dont do further maths
Reply 51
roshi
has anyone got an offer without further maths at either as or a2 as i think i might be rejected cause i dont do further maths

That may be the reason..everyone i spoke to at the interview mentioned that they were doing f.maths
Reply 52
I had my interview on the 13th Feb, as I had being looking through all the past post regarding this interview over the years, there was next to none people who were asked maths questions, just to provide a different experience, when I went there, I got picked by a lectural who, don't you know it, decide to ask his interviewees maths questions. I had the worst luck of anyone i know. Anyway, I was asked for my favorate topic, which I said was calculus, then he gave me this question about regression ?? Later I was told by my teacher that the question I was given was coverd in S2 or S3, which I hadn't done! I got the impression that he didn't read my personal statement as he asked me to 'in a few words' talk about my school, subject, interest...basicly everything.
So, just want to write this for anyone who is interested..
Reply 53
If there's any chance you may want to do the 4 year course then apply for MMORSE so then everything is arranged such as funding, etc. Then you can change to the 3 year course once you're in. I think they're both equally difficult i.e. basically everyone who applies gets an offer but it's AAA or similar.
Reply 54
theultimate
I'm applying next year...I would like to apply to MMorse. Is it harder to get into than Morse? Can you apply to Morse then switch when the course has started?

yeah it is very easy, the first two years are the same for both and then you decide. They make offers to get into MORSE, it is no harder if you apply for MMORSE.

The one reason for applying for MMORSE is that to change down is easy (one internal form) but to change up from MORSE requires clearence from student loans. I would recommend applying for MMORSE if there is even a chance that you could do 4 years.
Reply 55
hi is anyone still waiting to hear from warwick for MORSE?
roshi
hi is anyone still waiting to hear from warwick for MORSE?

There's someone else roaming around here waiting for that also so you're not alone. When did you send your application?
Reply 57
i sent my appliction on 12th dec
I see. I thought you might have applied late.
Doesn't mean much, but at least you're still in the game. Good luck!
HI

I AM STILL WAITING ON MORSE TOO. I APPLIED ON THE 8th MARCH (BIT LATE!). JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT OFFERS PEOPLE HAVE HAD WITH THE GRADES THEY HAD?

I HAVE ALREADY DONE MY A-LEVELS- 3 A GRADES AT A LEVEL (CHEM, MATHS, PHYSICS) AND AN A GRADE AT AS-LEVEL (IN BIO). GCSE... 2 A* , 5 A , 5 B.

Also in my gap year I have decided to take on AS-level further maths in which i am predicted an A grade.

what do people think are my chances for this course? also, how much of a negative impact does it have on your application if you have not done a full A-level in further mathematics?

I have been waiting and I would have thought i would have received a reply by now. when have other people applied?

Any information would be extremely welcome!

Thanks

Latest