Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am now going to East Anglia uni having narrowly (or not so narrowly) missed my offer at Durham for law-got AAB rather than AAA.
    People seemed to be baffled by this choice and suggested that it's not so good.
    The question that I would like to ask you is whether this is correct.
    Great big thanks to all prospective commentators-your opinions will be very important.

ReputationRep:
    what were your other offers?

ReputationRep:
    UEA is good. It's suffered a bit in the squeeze and had to close a few departments, but it's still a good uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    UEA is good. It's suffered a bit in the squeeze and had to close a few departments, but it's still a good uni.
    UAE still has a good reputation in general (I'm not familiar with Law specifically) and it's in a delightful town. Norwich is probably one of the most pleasant cities in the UK to live / be a student.

Tip: There used to be an excellent Indian takeaway on the Unthank Road just opposite the junction with Cambridge Street and along from Adnams. Highly Recommended!

ReputationRep:
    i dont no much about law, so feel free to ignore me, but i would say that its law degree would be less prestigious than durhams.

however, i think it also has a rep as one of the better ex-polys.

you can still make a good career out of law with a degree from an ex-poly. dame vera baird QC went to manc met (i think-there deff was a 'met' in there somewhere...) and i read about a QC the other day from leeds met. it just might take you slightly longer to make a name for yourself, but once you get a good reputation, it doesnt matter where you went!!! law is all about money and if you have a degree from an ex-poly but r the best lawyer in the business, people will hire you! anyway, you must be quite intelligent anyway, otherwise you wouldnt have got an offer from durham, which is considered right up there with oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    i dont no much about law, so feel free to ignore me, but i would say that its law degree would be less prestigious than durhams.

however, i think it also has a rep as one of the better ex-polys.

you can still make a good career out of law with a degree from an ex-poly. dame vera baird QC went to manc met (i think-there deff was a 'met' in there somewhere...) and i read about a QC the other day from leeds met. it just might take you slightly longer to make a name for yourself, but once you get a good reputation, it doesnt matter where you went!!! law is all about money and if you have a degree from an ex-poly but r the best lawyer in the business, people will hire you! anyway, you must be quite intelligent anyway, otherwise you wouldnt have got an offer from durham, which is considered right up there with oxbridge.
    It's not actually an ex-polytechnic. It's best to make informed comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigo1)
    I am now going to East Anglia uni having narrowly (or not so narrowly) missed my offer at Durham for law-got AAB rather than AAA.
    People seemed to be baffled by this choice and suggested that it's not so good.
    The question that I would like to ask you is whether this is correct.
    Great big thanks to all prospective commentators-your opinions will be very important.
    I cant say it springs to mind as a member of the elite, but i would never dismiss it.

ReputationRep:
    Not too sure about Law either, but I was very impressed when I visited UEA, and it seemed to attract a lot of applicants from the top quarter of the league table e.g. Warwick, Durham, Manchester etc. It also has one of the best graduate employment rates in the country apparently, the only reason I turned my offer down was because my selected course didn't offer a sandwich year.

ReputationRep:
    I think their English department is supposed to be very good. Anyway the point is you got in Many Law students won't have been so lucky.

Their modern languages department is somehow meant to be better than Oxbridge according to the rankings but that seems a little far-fetched.

ReputationRep:
    I would say UEA is a good university. It seems to be near the top of league tables in general, but for some reason tends to have slightly lower entry req.s than most up there.

ReputationRep:
    For a lot of subjects, UEA is an excellent university - sometimes among the best in the field. I have no idea whether it is any good for Law, but generally it is a good university. Its reputation (just like the reputation of a lot of similar universities) has suffered from people who think that only those universities that have been built pre-1900 or those that are in London can be good. Architecture has very little to do with academic merit!
    And I don't think UEA is an ex-poly (not 100% sure).

ReputationRep:
    [saarcasm on]Oh no, I did not get into Durham, my life is over as I am left with no choice but some dump like U.E.A. or Lancaster [/sarcasm off]

FFS what is it with people who think that their world ends if they don't get into Oxbridge, Durham and one or two other places.

(Original post by Mark_KK)

FFS what is it with people who think that their world ends if they don't get into Oxbridge, Durham and one or two other places.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to UEA for law last year but chose Newcastle instead, it was a very difficult decision to make as I really liked the UEA law school which is an old building separated from the main university buildings( concrete..dull). I probably would have chosen UEA its just Newcastle was too hard to resist. If you go to UEA i think u will like it there..it has an excellent reputation for law too.+ on the open day it looked like about 75% of prospective students were girls!!.none were bad looking either.lol.now u cant go wrong there can u?

ReputationRep:
    F.H.M. had a feature on U.E.A. a while back and it was heavily stacked with girls who were F.I.T.

ReputationRep:
    UEA is a good uni. I applied there for Computer Science but choose Birmingham instead (mainly because Birmingham was closer). I've heard that the campus is really nice too. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    I've heard that the campus is really nice too. :cool:
    If concrete's your thing. .
    (Apart from the concrete it's not a bad place)

ReputationRep:
    Hey! There's like, grass and stuff on campus too! (and yes. A lot of concrete. But some interestingly shaped buildings that you can climb when drunk as well).

Depending on which league tables you look at, UEA is between 12th in the country, and 36th. It generally comes in at the same sort of area as Exeter, but doesn't have the reputation that Exeter has because it's only been around for 40 years - it started taking students in 1963.

I don't know about the law department, but the Creative Writing, Drama, Environmental Studies and American Studies courses are either the best or amongst the best in the country.

I know for a fact that UEA is affiliated with law societies, and that they are one of something like 9(?) unis to ask prospective law students to take an extra test as they had such high calibre applications. I think they're quite high up in that league table too.

It's f:m ratio is 60:40, due to an excess of english and arts type courses and the new nursing and midwifery school.

Oh yeah. And it was NEVER a poly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sa-ra-ra-ra)
    Oh yeah. And it was NEVER a poly.
    LOL, but with an abreviation of U.E.A. it sounds like one .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    LOL, but with an abreviation of U.E.A. it sounds like one .

I just don't know why they haven't called it the University of Norwich. Absolutely ridiculous. UEA sounds like TVU or UCE or UWE.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.