Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    UEA is a cute name !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jason0506)
    I just don't know why they haven't called it the University of Norwich. Absolutely ridiculous. UEA sounds like TVU or UCE or UWE.
    They had to call themselves the University of East Anglia, and not just University of Norwich, for funding reasons. I don't remember the specifics, but they get more money this way.

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought that UEA is certainly one of the more underrated unis in the country, along with places like Lancaster. It seems to generally have a good reputation and always does well in league tables, but seems to suffer from a lack of word of mouth: its just not mentioned very much when people talk about 'good' unis, in the same way that some of its contemporaries are.

It was never a poly either.

I think its called UEA because of funding (as chris said), in the same way that Warwick University is called Warwick University despite being in Coventry: funding came from Warwickshire County Council rather than Coventry. Good thing really i think, warwicks much nicer .

ReputationRep:
    U.E.A., Lanacaster, Hull, Southampton, Aberdeen, Exeter.

All good universities that often don't get mentioned when people speak of places they want to study.

All of these places seem to have one thing in common...they are either in the middle of nowhere or "out on a limb".

Seems like location is often a priority when deciding on where to go.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your comments.
    Essex and Sussex were the other two. I think UEA is the lesser of the three evils (only joking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigo1)
    Thank you for all your comments.
    Essex and Sussex were the other two. I think UEA is the lesser of the three evils (only joking)
    Sussex doesn't have a uni...yet (they are planning on building it in Ipswich though).

I think we should have a UEA subforum, cos there's a fair few of us there already and who are coming this September!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, there's Sussex uni, visit www.sussex.ac.uk. I got in 2 do American Studies and Politics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Sussex doesn't have a uni...yet (they are planning on building it in Ipswich though).

I think we should have a UEA subforum, cos there's a fair few of us there already and who are coming this September!
    I think you might be confusing Sussex with Suffolk. Sussex University is in Brighton.

ReputationRep:
    I think definitely as i live in suffolk! im also going to the uea in couple weeks time.

ReputationRep:
    There is a sussex uni - it's in Brighton!

ReputationRep:
    I am now going to East Anglia uni having narrowly (or not so narrowly) missed my offer at Durham for law-got AAB rather than AAA.
    People seemed to be baffled by this choice and suggested that it's not so good.
    The question that I would like to ask you is whether this is correct.
    Great big thanks to all prospective commentators-your opinions will be very important.
    UEA is good, Durham might have been better but it's not that good as students make out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommyboy)
    I think you might be confusing Sussex with Suffolk. Sussex University is in Brighton.
    Lol my mistake (Teach me for skim reading, got confused because Norfolk, Essex and Suffolk are all next to each other, lol).

But there are actually plans to build the Uni of Suffolk (I read it in my uni's paper).

ReputationRep:
    UEA is very good for law - Norwich law school is excellent (ask Fluffy)

ReputationRep:
    It's quite good. They have set up a medical school, something which is normally associated with the better universities. I though of it myself for a time but was not in favout of the course - too modern for my liking!

ReputationRep:
    The uni ranks quite well and Norwich is a very nice city to live in, and between the uni and the waterfront club they book loads, and I mean LOADS of great bands that cater for all tastes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AcerBen)
    UEA is a cute name !
    Shocking, sixteen uninformed people have voted it as 'A very mediocre place only marginally better than ex-polytechnics.' :rolleyes:

If East Anglia wasn't so far away I would have gladly accepted the place offered to me to read English there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    Shocking, sixteen uninformed people have voted it as 'A very mediocre place only marginally better than ex-polytechnics.' :rolleyes:

If East Anglia wasn't so far away I would have gladly accepted the place offered to me to read English there.
    And where are you now, darling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    Probably by the toffs at LSE and Oxford etc :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    And where are you now, darling?
    Royal Holloway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    It's quite good. They have set up a medical school, something which is normally associated with the better universities. I though of it myself for a time but was not in favout of the course - too modern for my liking!
    Hey,

What do you mean by the course being to modern? Are medical cources not more or less the same in medical schools with the exception of timing and reading lists etc? It is a qualifying degree after all, and entails much responsibility so would they really allow a too great difference or modification?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.