The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Outrageous
Hey,

What do you mean by the course being to modern? Are medical cources not more or less the same in medical schools with the exception of timing and reading lists etc? It is a qualifying degree after all, and entails much responsibility so would they really allow a too great difference or modification?

Basically there is Oxbridge and the other med schools. Oxbridge has the traditional pre clin/clinical divide (like all med used to be), but the other have got rid of this. Nottingham seems to have a foot in both camps. At UEA they are very pro PBL, which is modern as would not suit me very well.
Thie degress are just as good as Oxfords and I do not imagine that they have any less prestige when it comes to applying for jobs a MBBS is an MBBS.
My best advice would be to, when you get there, change to the Law with European Law if you don't mind going abroad for a year, as stuff like this will put you on par with plain law degrees from better universities.
Reply 42
waiting2smile
Shocking, sixteen uninformed people have voted it as 'A very mediocre place only marginally better than ex-polytechnics.' :rolleyes:

If East Anglia wasn't so far away I would have gladly accepted the place offered to me to read English there. :smile:

Far away?! The further away from home the better in my opinion :biggrin: !
Reply 43
young_free
My best advice would be to, when you get there, change to the Law with European Law if you don't mind going abroad for a year, as stuff like this will put you on par with plain law degrees from better universities.

But UEA is only a handful of uni's to introduce the new law tests, as its one of the best law degrees around. Its not worth doing the year abroad *just* to put you 'on par' with a plain law degree from somewhere else as there aren't many places better than UEA for a law degree.
Reply 44
My best advice would be to, when you get there, change to the Law with European Law if you don't mind going abroad for a year, as stuff like this will put you on par with plain law degrees from...

I am going to do an MA in Europe after the degree. Now that is a real deal.
I am not particularly concerned about being on par with Cambridge-UEA isn't and neither are places like Durham or Bristol. If I did well at UEA as a Clifford Chance recruitment lady told me, they would make no difference between me and someone from Durham with the same degree. She did say, however that if it Oxford-Durham or Oxford-UEA situation there would be room for some discrimination.
Reply 45
At the end of the day you should choose the university that you think you will be happiest with. I turned down UEA in favour of Plymouth university despite UEA being considerably higher in the league tables. There is a lot more to deciding which university is best for you then just going by a generic league table ranking!
indigo1
I am going to do an MA in Europe after the degree. Now that is a real deal.
I am not particularly concerned about being on par with Cambridge-UEA isn't and neither are places like Durham or Bristol. If I did well at UEA as a Clifford Chance recruitment lady told me, they would make no difference between me and someone from Durham with the same degree. She did say, however that if it Oxford-Durham or Oxford-UEA situation there would be room for some discrimination.

No discrimination between a first between Oxford, UCL, King's or Liverpool I hope :tongue:
Reply 47
Just finsihed my law degree at Uea and staying on to do my LLM. Its a great law school! :smile:
Reply 48
No discrimination between a first between Oxford, UCL, King's or Liverpool I hope

Liv is a great university mate, and is in the same tier as Leicester, Cardiff, UEA et all. But it would be to overrate Liverpool and underestimate the snobbery among the City firms if one assumed that Oxford=Liverpool.
It's AAB-ABB, the same as Leicester (ABB), UEA (AAB), Cardiff (AAB)
Reply 49
AbbyAbbi
Just finsihed my law degree at Uea and staying on to do my LLM. Its a great law school! :smile:

Where are you doing it? Is that because you could not get into the firm you wanted or just personal ambition?
Reply 50
Well thank you all for your comments.
Reply 51
UEA for law can be easily compared to Leicester, Exeter etc.
It's a good well-respected university. Just a bit left-wing for me, but Norwich and Norfolk is beautiful.
I live in norwich, so am quite aware of the universities reputation. form what ive heard and in my opinion its a solid uni. its probably not up there with durham, but its still a respectable uni. You just got to remember that aslong as you get a decent degree, thats all that counts. you shouldnt pay too much attention to a uni reputation, as it can be very biased. ... and as for the norwich night life.... its pretty good... il give you a guide... monday nights liquid, tuesday and sats - mercy, wednesday - the light bar, thursday and fri- time and if your really hardcore ... delanys on sunday! any more questions about noriwich or uea ...
Reply 53
Well maybe not Durham, Oxbridge or LSE but apparently someone has confirmed that UEA is considered a solid real university comfortably in the top 20.
Cheers.
I live in Bungay, on the border of Norfolk and Suffolk, and within half an hours drive of norwich. I've lived in the same place for my entire life (I'm 17) and i can honestly say that if your a country girl/guy or a city girl/guy then east anglia has things to offer everybody. Norwich is an excellent place, good shopping, great cinemas and clubs and the best bit are the eating places, I recommend the newly refurbished riverside bit where they have everything for a good night out. Travel is good too, trains buses and your not too far from london either. As for the university its a good university, if they have a med school they must be doing something right. I'm not hot on the law departement, myself going to liverpool to do medicine so, but there is nothing wrong with the UEA, and i have a fair few friends leaving in the next few weeks to join the university. The one disadvantage are the look of the buildings (concrete ain't my thing) but if ur wiling to go past appearances, then i don't know what you are worrying about. Yes you missed out on Durham, which i have to say is probably a bit better than UEA, only a weeny bit and UEA is by no means a useless uni. Go, Be happy and Enjoy!!

p.s. they are building a whole new part bordering st. stevens street, which is gonna have loads a new shops and everything, maybe even a real posh hotel!!! Its an up and coming place....plus the weather is good!!
Reply 55
Indigo: why u care why i am staying i dont know!
I havent even applied for any firms because I am going to become a barrister. I am staying because I am doing a masters in an area of law i want to work in and i enjoyed my 3 years so much I thought i would put work off for an extra year! :biggrin:
AbbyAbbi

See below.

AbbyAbbi
I havent even applied for any firms because I am going to become a barrister.

See :rolleyes:
Reply 57

Surely can't be that bad...
Reply 58
hey first sentence of my last reply was written wrong! UEA is a good law school i am sure u will have a good time here .I am staying cos i enjoyed my 3 years here. The lectures and the staff are really nice although their marking is very strict! its a lot stricter then other schools at the uni! I know people who have training contracts and ones who dont yet but thats the same everywhere really. its hard getting a job after and u have to apply for loads!
You will soon get used the phrase "LCR" too!
Reply 59
AbbyAbbi

My barrister boyfriend did his LLB at Norwich Law School :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending