MA International Relations - Reading & Prep Advice

Watch
cjhill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello!

I got my confirmation today to start my MA in International Relations at Liverpool John Moores. Im moving to the subject from a BA in Drama and although theres a lot of transferable knowledge and similar context on similar topics of critical analysis of history, culture and society that connects the study I am in need of catching up on essential knowledge. Googling has returned pretty old information on advice for reading so Im hoping the SR community can help?

Its early days so I haven't had any reading lists from the Uni but want to get started ASAP to tackle essential areas that will ease my transition into the course such as political theory 101, globalisation, foreign affairs etc etc..

What would you all recommend I read to give me a sound understanding of the foundations of political and international relations theory, history, social studies, cultural studies etc?

Currently reading DKs Politics book which covers a lot of political ideaologies and Ken Booths International Relations Introductionary Guide. As broad and general as they are Im really enjoying them but theres so much material out there, I don't know where to start?

Plus we are in dire need of a 2017 guide to essential IR books and topics so hope this will be helpful for others! I'll add recommendations to this post as time goes on.

Thanks!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cjhill)
Hello!

I got my confirmation today to start my MA in International Relations at Liverpool John Moores. Im moving to the subject from a BA in Drama and although theres a lot of transferable knowledge and similar context on similar topics of critical analysis of history, culture and society that connects the study I am in need of catching up on essential knowledge. Googling has returned pretty old information on advice for reading so Im hoping the SR community can help?

Its early days so I haven't had any reading lists from the Uni but want to get started ASAP to tackle essential areas that will ease my transition into the course such as political theory 101, globalisation, foreign affairs etc etc..

What would you all recommend I read to give me a sound understanding of the foundations of political and international relations theory, history, social studies, cultural studies etc?

Currently reading DKs Politics book which covers a lot of political ideaologies and Ken Booths International Relations Introductionary Guide. As broad and general as they are Im really enjoying them but theres so much material out there, I don't know where to start?

Plus we are in dire need of a 2017 guide to essential IR books and topics so hope this will be helpful for others! I'll add recommendations to this post as time goes on.

Thanks!
If you have an offer the uni thinks that you're capable of doing the course so I wouldn't worry. Leave the reading for when you start and have some reading lists. If you're really keen have a look at what will be taught and read around those topics.
username2789280
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Agree with alleycat. In all likelihood there will be a couple of introductory IR units to bring you up to speed, so my advice is to relax for now and get stuck in when you start. That said, KB's intro to IR book is very good and it won't hurt to have a general familiarity with basic IR theory, just so you know what to expect. Don't bust a gut - you will learn what you need to on the course.
Jezza93
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The three books York recommended are these three, these are only really recommended as an option, not mandatory reading.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Internation...onal+relations

I got this one yesterday, it's a very little and very handy book. Easy to understand and a good introduction. I'd recommend it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Global-Poli...lobal+politics

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Internation...onal+relations

This last one I just finished reading the other day and is not on the list, it's quite long but also quite eye-opening. Highly recommended.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Order...onal+relations
cjhill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Brilliant, cheers for the responses peeps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (386)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (297)
43.48%

Watched Threads