jarjarbinkss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
i think i want to do a maths degree but i want to get into a top/ middle russle group uni. but i don't do further maths i only do maths geography and computer science. just got A in AS maths but i am bad at my other subjects

do i even stand a chance at getting into a decent uni???will a maths degree be too hard for me as i don't do FM??? i don't really have a lot to put on my personal statement - i got bronze in maths challenge a few times (is that worth anything?) how realistic are my chances?TYSM
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jarjarbinkss)
i think i want to do a maths degree but i want to get into a top/ middle russle group uni. but i don't do further maths i only do maths geography and computer science. just got A in AS maths but i am bad at my other subjects

do i even stand a chance at getting into a decent uni???will a maths degree be too hard for me as i don't do FM??? i don't really have a lot to put on my personal statement - i got bronze in maths challenge a few times (is that worth anything?) how realistic are my chances?TYSM
Weigh up the pros and cons.

Pro
Maths A, which is enough for some (do your research), but some require A*
An A at AS wont ruin you.

Con
No further Maths- Unis recognise you may not have FM offered, so dont disadvantage you. They can expect a higher Maths grade though.

Personal statement is not good to outstanding. You need to figure out a way to improve it. Use TSR and get someone qualified to look at it.

Poor other results.

If you want to get in to the better universities do some research into entry criteria and preferences. You can see for yourself, then.

You have a lot to work on and at the moment you need to improve. It doesnt look great at the moment.
You will have a second shot at the clearing phase.
monkyvirus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're not a strong candidate you may find it hard to get into a "top" uni for good reason: you may not cope well with the course expectations. Is there a reason other than prestige that you don't want to go to a uni with entry requirements closer to what you'll actually achieve? Some universities have access courses which will provide a gentler transition from A-level to uni, this can be course as well as uni specific (my uni had one in physics but not maths). So try looking for those at your preferred universities.

Now there is a difference between somewhere like Cambridge or Warwick where the best maths candidates tend to go and a good university that isn't especially known for maths. I looked on which? (go to Services > which? University) and you can search maths courses by grades (I also think you can do this on UCAS but I don't rememver. If you click on a course you get more specific info about entry requirements. FM tends to be preferred rather than required.

For a strong personal statement you need to explore why you like maths. Try and find an application / theorem you find interesting and talk about it. Some wider reading can help, your maths teacher may be able to suggest some books to you. I wrote about a book I read about being a mathematician and a mathematical model that I found interesting in a New Scientist article. If you do mention the maths challenge talk about what you liked about it. You can also talk about your career plans if you have any and how they connect with maths. In my opinion, maths students aren't expected to be strong writers so as long as you seem sincerely enthusiastic and can follow a basic structure I think you should be okay.
jarjarbinkss
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
yeah sorry i didnt make myself clear, i know for a fact i'm not getting into top ibis like oxbridge or warwick/ imperial. but i would like to know if i had a chance at birmingham/ newcastle uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
13.56%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
13.56%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (7)
11.86%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (24)
40.68%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
16.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed