Should the government crack down on litter louts?

Watch this thread
Eunomia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
They're always looking for new ways to get more money off the ordinary people, and what better way to do this than to hand out £80 fines to these selfish pigs? Instead of increasing taxes or going after teenagers who don't have their train tickets, why not go after these guys? Littering seems a lot more malicious and creates a crappy environment. People in this country litter a LOT, especially the people in the chavlands. And most of them get away with it.
ed98
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
In principle I would agree with you but it has lots of practical problems. Who would hand out these fines? Police? They are stretched thin enough as it is. Litter wardens? Would involve setting up a whole new department in every local authority which would cost huge amounts. Then people will have legal right to appeal any fine, which would cost the courts a lot.
Inevitably the financial costs of the bureaucracy would outweigh the benefits.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
They could start by providing more bins...
yudothis
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
That's exactly the same as suggesting women-only carriages. Does not address the real problem.

Plenty of people manage not to litter. Just because you are a selfish, lazy prick means the "there wasn't a bin" excuse should let you off the hook?

I love cycling in nature and there is nothing worse than see trash thrown out by cars. That is pure selfishness. You didn't want to make your property dirty so you make property that doesn't belong to you dirty, because who cares right?

I know to many this sounds petty and over the top for such an issue, but this issue perfectly highlights humanities flaws - selfishness. People just don't give a **** about anything than themselves.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yudothis)
That's exactly the same as suggesting women-only carriages. Does not address the real problem.

Plenty of people manage not to litter. Just because you are a selfish, lazy prick means the "there wasn't a bin" excuse should let you off the hook?

I love cycling in nature and there is nothing worse than see trash thrown out by cars. That is pure selfishness. You didn't want to make your property dirty so you make property that doesn't belong to you dirty, because who cares right?

I know to many this sounds petty and over the top for such an issue, but this issue perfectly highlights humanities flaws - selfishness. People just don't give a **** about anything than themselves.
So what else are people meant to do with their rubbish? Just carry it around for a few miles? Not exactly hygienic is it?

Not sure how women only carriages are relevant at all.
yudothis
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
So what else are people meant to do with their rubbish? Just carry it around for a few miles? Not exactly hygienic is it?

Not sure how women only carriages are relevant at all.
I explained how they are relevant - it's the same faulty reasoning, not addressing the issue.

And looooooool so it's ok to make a mess of something that isn't yours, but something that is yours suddenly makes it unhygienic?
tazarooni89
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yes, they should.

If the street has no bin that doesn't mean you drop litter on the street, it means you wait until you find a bin, or take it home with you and dispose of it there.

There's nothing unhygienic about carrying your used coke can around with you - you were willing to drink out of it, after all.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
Yes, they should.

If the street has no bin that doesn't mean you drop litter on the street, it means you wait until you find a bin, or take it home with you and dispose of it there.

There's nothing unhygienic about carrying your used coke can around with you - you were willing to drink out of it, after all.
I'm not talking about a used can. Where do I put a used sticky wrapper?
tazarooni89
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Fold it so that you only have to touch the outside of it and hold it in your hand. Or wrap it in a tissue. Or keep it inside another item of litter such as a can. Or let your hands get dirty as you carry it, but wash your hands later. Or if you know you'll have difficulty disposing of the wrapper, don't buy that item in the first place.

It's not that hard to think of an alternative to leaving it on the floor?
moonkatt
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
In the first bin you come across.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Carry it around or put it in your pocket until you find a bin, pretty simple. I manage absolutely fine and so do lots of other people.

There is absolutely no excuse for littering, it's pure laziness.
username402722
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Most I understand were removed because of IRA activity, so the reason for removal is not there, and transparent bins can be provided.
Asolare
Report 4 years ago
I agree with the necessity for bins. And some of you seem to think that all litter is just a sweet wrapper? If you have a drink cup, or perhaps packaging from a product you just bought etc. then it's not easy to carry around if you have to carry something else. Sure it doesn't excuse littering (and I don't think anyone is saying that, which is why your anger at oh the horror of someone recommending more bins! is completely unjustified) but it makes things easier for people.

Fining people for littering is just a waste of police time. There are more important issues to focus on.
AnnieGakusei
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I think littering is more of a problem in the countryside. In the city, rubbish isn't allowed to pile up too much because the streets do get swept, and there are bins. People are less likely to leave rubbish lying around.

But our countryside is full of Coke cans and crisp packets, and why? Because someone was eating Mackies in their car and couldn't survive having a few empty fries packets lying around until they found a bin, or was out walking and would prefer livestock to choke on their ring pull rather than slip it into a pocket on their backpack.

That said you couldn't really police it.
username2763536
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Absoloutely they should but it doesn't address the real issue.The real issue is just waste in general.Take plastic for example.By 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than there is fish.That's ridiculous.There has to be a better way of disposing of plastic rather than just dumping it in the sea or on landfill.That plastic gets into the human food chain via fish and harms other wildlife like whales as well.If goverments are going to fine people for trashing the environment then they should get their own house in order too.
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
There are other things that can potentially be done as well, for example:
- Restrictions on over-packaging of products so that less waste is produced
- Providing public water fountains and encouraging people to refill plastic water bottles instead of binning (or dropping) them and buying more
- Some kind of incentive (not sure exactly what) for communities to keep their streets clean
- And yes, more bins. There's not just an issue of people feeling like they don't have anywhere to put their rubbish, but a problem with the bins that are there being overfilled, which results in rubbish falling or blowing out of them

I'm not really sure how well some of these would work in practice, but in principle they could be effective.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads