Foundation Year + retaking a year?

Watch
ErniePicks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello I have a four year course with an integrated foundation year, I have failed the first year after foundation and will have to retake, I'm wondering if Student Finance will still fund the duration of my course? Also will I have to go to the website and update it into a 5 year course or whatever or will the uni just let them know?
Arianax
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think you should retake foundation year because if you can't pass foundation year, how will you cope with first year etc?

Maybe take a gap year and work then figure out what you want to do. Perhaps, do a a course?
Otherside22
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
^Not true, exactly. Plenty of people fail years at uni, for whatever reason. Lack of work, ill health. Doesn't mean they are "unable to cope."

Student finance will fund -> Length of Course + 1 year. So for a four year course, you can get five years funding.

So you will still get the full funding for each year of the course that you are on.

You will probably have to inform them that this is a resit year, and that you did not progress onto the next year of the course. I'm not sure if you can do this on your online account, or whether you need to call them.
ErniePicks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Otherside22)
^Not true, exactly. Plenty of people fail years at uni, for whatever reason. Lack of work, ill health. Doesn't mean they are "unable to cope."

Student finance will fund -> Length of Course + 1 year. So for a four year course, you can get five years funding.

So you will still get the full funding for each year of the course that you are on.

You will probably have to inform them that this is a resit year, and that you did not progress onto the next year of the course. I'm not sure if you can do this on your online account, or whether you need to call them.
Yeah mine was four year course, to clarify I failed the first year not the foundation year which I'll be retaking. I failed it because I was having personal problems with where I was living which affected my studying. Appreciate you being understanding.

Also to the other poster I know someone who failed and retook foundation year and then ended up doing a PhD in the subject. Please don't be so judgemental
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (61)
22.34%
Excited but a bit nervous (124)
45.42%
Not bothered either way (35)
12.82%
I'm really nervous (53)
19.41%

Watched Threads