Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AS Choices Academic Enough? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am an ambitious student who recently attained fairly decent GCSE marks - getting 1 A* in English Lit, 8As, 1 B and a double award C (being the only person in my district to pass).

I have chosen the following subjects to do in AS level: - Maths, Physics, French, ICT And possibly Further Maths afterschool.

I aim to do a course at university (in an ideal world a redbrick uni) studying Mathematics with Business, Computer and Business Sciences, Computer Sciences, Mathematics with Physics.

However i also have a fairly deep interest in Biology and am sad to drop the subject. However in order to take Biology i will need to drop French - which in my opinion would reduce the scope of my subjects and show lack of diversity wheras one of the key characters for me is my diversity skills.

Do my current choices show enough scope? Shoudl i drop French for Business Studies or Biology? Is ICT considered academic?

Problem is that if i choose to drop ICT then i will be foreced to take an even less academic subject as Geography is grouped with Physics and also Business Studies and Biology is grouped with French.

Is Maths, French, Physics at A2 and Further Maths + ICT AS level considered good by any means? I really need some advice before my options become cemented.

I already understand that ICT isnt necesary for Comp Sci. however there are no real alternatives as i hate Chemistry and other choices are mainly GNVQs etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing is to look at the universities that do courses you might like to apply for next year. The chances are though, that for the courses that yiou've listed.. that any of the combinations that you've listed should be all right. Follow your heart and go with what you think you will enjoy. it sounds to me like all of those subjects are pretty academic!

ReputationRep:
    Swap ICT for Computing if you can...if not, it doesn't matter - apart from that it look great!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloudey)
    I am an ambitious student who recently attained fairly decent GCSE marks - getting 1 A* in English Lit, 8As, 1 B and a double award C (being the only person in my district to pass).

I have chosen the following subjects to do in AS level: - Maths, Physics, French, ICT And possibly Further Maths afterschool.

I aim to do a course at university (in an ideal world a redbrick uni) studying Mathematics with Business, Computer and Business Sciences, Computer Sciences, Mathematics with Physics.

However i also have a fairly deep interest in Biology and am sad to drop the subject. However in order to take Biology i will need to drop French - which in my opinion would reduce the scope of my subjects and show lack of diversity wheras one of the key characters for me is my diversity skills.

Do my current choices show enough scope? Shoudl i drop French for Business Studies or Biology? Is ICT considered academic?

Problem is that if i choose to drop ICT then i will be foreced to take an even less academic subject as Geography is grouped with Physics and also Business Studies and Biology is grouped with French.

Is Maths, French, Physics at A2 and Further Maths + ICT AS level considered good by any means? I really need some advice before my options become cemented.

I already understand that ICT isnt necesary for Comp Sci. however there are no real alternatives as i hate Chemistry and other choices are mainly GNVQs etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Drop ICT and take either business or biology. Seeing as I hate science I would say take business but it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to drop French and do Biology then go for it, i don't think they'll reject you if you have no diversity in your subjects as long as you get the grades/points they want etc.

ReputationRep:
    Your subjects look fine to me

ReputationRep:
    Don't drop French, take Biology instead of ICT. No its generally not considered academic - much less so than Biology. If you're desperate to take a computer subject, swap to Computing, but bear in mind that you don't need it at all if you're going to apply for Computer Science (if that's the reason why you are taking it). Definately keep the Further Maths (it'll help with any of those courses that you listed)! Hang on though.. by double award, do you mean Science double award?

Your subject choices sound good though (though personally I wouldn't do ICT).

ReputationRep:
    First of all, congratulations of your GCSE results, Cloudey.

Do my current choices show enough scope?
    Definitely do maths and physics, with further maths after school, if you think you can cope.

Should i drop French for Business Studies or Biology?
    Biology is hard, but then again so is French. I took biology over French for AS, even though i got an A* in French and a B in biology, and it's been ok. It's really up to you, choose what you like and can get a decent grade in. Enjoyment should come first though, in my opinon. Just don't do business studies, your other subjects are much more academic and rigorous and you sound like you want challenging! I've heard b/studies is easy.

Is ICT considered academic?
    Well i think computing is more highly regarded, especially considering your degree choice, but if your sixth form doesn't offer it then stick with ICT. That's unless, you drop it and take geography, which just rules (i'm v. biased though ).

Is Maths, French, Physics at A2 and Further Maths + ICT AS level considered good by any means?
    Yes! Those A2s are all very highly respected!

ReputationRep:
    Languages such as French are highly valued by universities as the numbers of students choosing them are declining; it is a highly academic and useful skill, that will stand you in good stead, and also set you apart from other students applying to university.

Physics is possibly the harder of all the sciences, and combined with maths that is a highly academic choice.

Since you have chosen such academic subjects in the above fields, your final subject choice will not matter so much, and you should choose here a subject you will be entirely dedicated to, a subject you love; be this ICT, choose it!

It's a great set of subjects, although be prepared for difficulty in Maths and Physics, and French; there is a difference between choosing highly valued subjects and achieving the grades in them; that is why they are sought after subjects.

ReputationRep:
    thank all of you people for this great advice. I agree with you now about the academic nature of the majority which at the end of the day is all that matters.

Though...unfortunatly i went to my science college today and was greeted by the bleeding bad news that French wasnt going ahead in my college - not enough people were doing it (only 2)....now i can understand why people are getting so worried by the lack of students studying language. I was amazed.

So....although it wasnt an ideal scenario it looks like ill be doing 3 sciences to A2 and leaving ICT + Further Maths to AS.

When i went to the induction ICT lesson i basically got the impression that given the papers i could basically pass the exam now. So i am leavng this as my 'more relaxed' lesson. Afterall surely Maths, Physics, Biology, Further Maths is difficult enough as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloudey)
    Though...unfortunatly i went to my science college today and was greeted by the bleeding bad news that French wasnt going ahead in my college - not enough people were doing it (only 2)....now i can understand why people are getting so worried by the lack of students studying language. I was amazed.
    Same happened at my school, but you should have the option of going to another school as a consortium student (if you really want to of course).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dieeiervonsatan)
    Same happened at my school
    Mine too. But not just french, all languages! No-one does a foreign langauge A-level in my school

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to work hard at the maths. It is a big jump up from A-level and a number of people at my school dropped out. It depends how mathematically inclined you are - an A is probably the minimum you can have. But at my school the classes were very fast-moving due to a large intake of girls from hong kong who had already done a year more maths than we had. You need to stick at it. I found it very hard to start with especially with Economics, Geography and History. Gradually I got there though.

Theres certainly no problem with your subjects for what you want to do. Just be aware that maths is a big step up from GCSE to AS and you can do brilliantly at GCSE, understand everything, and then it all becomes a bit too abstract. But it depends on your class, teacher and most of all, you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessie)
    You'll need to work hard at the maths. It is a big jump up from A-level and a number of people at my school dropped out. It depends how mathematically inclined you are - an A is probably the minimum you can have. But at my school the classes were very fast-moving due to a large intake of girls from hong kong who had already done a year more maths than we had. You need to stick at it. I found it very hard to start with especially with Economics, Geography and History. Gradually I got there though.

Theres certainly no problem with your subjects for what you want to do. Just be aware that maths is a big step up from GCSE to AS and you can do brilliantly at GCSE, understand everything, and then it all becomes a bit too abstract. But it depends on your class, teacher and most of all, you.
    Yep. I know a girl who got an A in GCSE maths and at C as AS. It's not bad, but she wasn't happy and found AS really tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Mine too. But not just french, all languages! No-one does a foreign langauge A-level in my school
    I originally wanted to go to college, but they told me I couldn't do French because not enough people wanted to do it. So I stayed on at my school for 6th form and there are at least 6 of us doing it, even though it's way smaller than the college! I was surprised there were so many cos that's quite a big class for French....but then we haven't even had our first lesson yet, so we're bound to get some dropping out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Yep. I know a girl who got an A in GCSE maths and at C as AS. It's not bad, but she wasn't happy and found AS really tough.
    I got A for GCSE then E for AS . It was quite hard in AS so it was hard to concentrate as there was so much stuff i didn't understand first time round so my mind started to wander and i had a friend in a worse position (got U for AS) and we would spend a lot of the time at the back of the class doing anything but maths. If you do it you need to stick with it no matter what they throw at you. This year it was totally my fault i messed up maths, the other subjects i did badly in were down to the teacher or class.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think the grade at GCSE doesnt matter much if at all.. unless there is an entry level you must have.
    At AS i interpret it as demandin more concentration....

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.