Mathumie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have just finished my UKCAT and I got a score of 727.5 and my prediction is going to be 3 A*.

I am writing my personal statement right now and it would be very helpful if anyone can give me tips what to include in my personal statement and if they are willing to to send me my personal statement.

Thank you
luq_ali
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Peace and blessings:

Congratulations on your scores! Please do not consider posting your actual personal statement or even rough draft here on this forum.(it can be stolen by another and then you could be accused of plagiarism later, for example, not to think of the leak of your personal details) If I may, I would like to suggest a few things.

What are you interested in studying in the university? What is your motivation for study?(life events, travel, experiences, perhaps you had a parent or family member or friend who influenced you, etc.) What are your potential goals and aspirations to achieve from the course and/or future goals for postgraduate and/or research study? Specific to each institution you apply to, what does that potential uni offer you, in the way of distinguished programs or staff you would want to avail yourself of? What skills, traits and characteristics do you possess which will make you a successful candidate. (avoid passive language like "I believe" or "I think"-and try to focus instead on assertive language like "because of these factor, I know I will be able to successfully complete the program.") What are your other interests in terms of study outside of your chosen program, is it arts, science, history? What are your hobbies-are you a player of chess, football, rugby, or perhaps a singer or dancer or do you play an instrument, if so, work that into your personal essay, as well as any volunteer, work or other charitable experiences you have, too.

(Original post by Mathumie)
I have just finished my UKCAT and I got a score of 727.5 and my prediction is going to be 3 A*.

I am writing my personal statement right now and it would be very helpful if anyone can give me tips what to include in my personal statement and if they are willing to to send me my personal statement.

Thank you
rosie.mn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Here are some tips I have received after attending many summer schools and having spoken to admissions tutors from Oxford and Cambridge.
- make it personal, it's a personal statement. try not to start it with a quote or copy what someone else has written. to avoid making it depersonalised try not to look at too many templates as it will cloud your vision.
- try not to include anything irrelevant. if you're applying to russell groups they don't care if you played hockey in year 10 or if you're grade 8 violin. so avoid writing extensively about extra curricular. instead write about 'super cirriculars' which are things you've done relating to your subject, like hospital work experience.
- when you do a degree, you 'read' a subject. so even if your subject isn't arts/humanities, still try to show you're interested in the theory side of it by doing some extra reading around things that interest you. write about what they made you think and how this invigorated your passion for the subject.
- show, don't tell. your personal statement shouldn't be a list of all the amazing things you've done, it should be what doing those things inspired you to think or do, how they made you love your subject. you need to justify!
- try not to talk about grades and awards, all those things should be mentioned in references anyway so don't waste characters talking about your UMS, subject awards or how you were the best in your school at gcse
- what part of your subject interests you? why do you want to study it? why would you be a good student in this field? what do you want to learn about your subject? what areas of research would you like to be involved in?
Mathumie
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for the tips. I have used some of them to write my personal statement. Can't thank you enough
(Original post by luq_ali)
Peace and blessings:

Congratulations on your scores! Please do not consider posting your actual personal statement or even rough draft here on this forum.(it can be stolen by another and then you could be accused of plagiarism later, for example, not to think of the leak of your personal details) If I may, I would like to suggest a few things.

What are you interested in studying in the university? What is your motivation for study?(life events, travel, experiences, perhaps you had a parent or family member or friend who influenced you, etc.) What are your potential goals and aspirations to achieve from the course and/or future goals for postgraduate and/or research study? Specific to each institution you apply to, what does that potential uni offer you, in the way of distinguished programs or staff you would want to avail yourself of? What skills, traits and characteristics do you possess which will make you a successful candidate. (avoid passive language like "I believe" or "I think"-and try to focus instead on assertive language like "because of these factor, I know I will be able to successfully complete the program." What are your other interests in terms of study outside of your chosen program, is it arts, science, history? What are your hobbies-are you a player of chess, football, rugby, or perhaps a singer or dancer or do you play an instrument, if so, work that into your personal essay, as well as any volunteer, work or other charitable experiences you have, too.
Mathumie
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for the tips. I have used some of them to write my personal statement. Can't thank you enough
(Original post by rosie.mn)
Here are some tips I have received after attending many summer schools and having spoken to admissions tutors from Oxford and Cambridge.
- make it personal, it's a personal statement. try not to start it with a quote or copy what someone else has written. to avoid making it depersonalised try not to look at too many templates as it will cloud your vision.
- try not to include anything irrelevant. if you're applying to russell groups they don't care if you played hockey in year 10 or if you're grade 8 violin. so avoid writing extensively about extra curricular. instead write about 'super cirriculars' which are things you've done relating to your subject, like hospital work experience.
- when you do a degree, you 'read' a subject. so even if your subject isn't arts/humanities, still try to show you're interested in the theory side of it by doing some extra reading around things that interest you. write about what they made you think and how this invigorated your passion for the subject.
- show, don't tell. your personal statement shouldn't be a list of all the amazing things you've done, it should be what doing those things inspired you to think or do, how they made you love your subject. you need to justify!
- try not to talk about grades and awards, all those things should be mentioned in references anyway so don't waste characters talking about your UMS, subject awards or how you were the best in your school at gcse
- what part of your subject interests you? why do you want to study it? why would you be a good student in this field? what do you want to learn about your subject? what areas of research would you like to be involved in?
luq_ali
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You are very welcome, and my best wishes to you for success.

(Original post by Mathumie)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads