The Student Room Group

I'm 21 and mom just booked me at the doctors for anger management

(srs)

woke up this morning and my mum tells me I have an appointment at the doctors later in the afternoon, so I raged at her (obviously). but i mean wtf are the doctors going to do? instead of worrying about me when im angry, how about not trying to get me angry?

i got into a fight with my younger brother yesterday, but he had it coming to him. recently he's been acting like he's the bigger brother, thinking he's tough **** trying to talk down on me so i pushed him around and my mum comes into the room to break it up, and i swinged for his face (and missed)

and now here I am. what should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go I can feel the anger in you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go to the appointment, if you're trying to punch your own brother in the face (no matter how annoying he may be), it's probably the best thing for you.
Go get help
Umm ... if i may ask your younger brother's age?
Original post by CherryPoppins
(srs)

woke up this morning and my mum tells me I have an appointment at the doctors later in the afternoon

OK.

so I raged at her (obviously).

Why is this obvious…? She's your mother and she cares about you. Totally uncalled for.

but i mean wtf are the doctors going to do? instead of worrying about me when im angry, how about not trying to get me angry?

That's exactly what anger management hopes to achieve - so it might be very helpful. :smile:

i got into a fight with my younger brother yesterday, but he had it coming to him. recently he's been acting like he's the bigger brother, thinking he's tough **** trying to talk down on me so i pushed him around and my mum comes into the room to break it up, and i swinged for his face (and missed)

OK, this is completely unacceptable behaviour to be honest. You shouldn't be fighting with your brother aged 21, it's not acceptable for your mother to have to come and break you up either. Forgive me, but it sounds like you may benefit from the anger management.

and now here I am. what should I do?

Go to the appointment, the least it can do is give you insight. The most it can do is get your anger in check.

Good luck!
Original post by Chibidragon2
Umm ... if i may ask your younger brother's age?

I can tell you why, ...it's your choice to listen to what I have to say
Original post by Chibidragon2
I can tell you why, ...it's your choice to listen to what I have to say

Go and be open minded. It can't be nice living your life in a constant state of rage. She's done you a favour.
I would be more concerned with the fact that you're 21 and still live with your mom.
Well the thing is...tbh you should never raise your hand on your little bro. Maybe your bro cares for you alot that's why he is acting like a big bro. I have a little sister and she talks like a big sister to me sometimes too. My little sister is little Shakespeare she helps me in English( I am dumb in english).
The thing is... they are siblings they will always be there for us and your mom wants to help bcoz in the future, the anger management will be a huge problem for you. The world is a cunning place right now. I worked in a summer camp ( kids around 4-14). The kids were annoying. I learned self control and anger management bcoz when you work you need to keep cool.
swinged his faced and missed, pushed him around... you're 21, act your age seriously that could've been any minor and could have got you done for assault of a minor and you'd end up in prison. go to the appointment and sort yourself out, seriously. man/woman up and become mature.
You're 21, but it seems like you still have the attitude of a child and your mum probably still treats you like one. Move out and start to grow up.

Booking anger management for someone else is stupid, as it must be a voluntary process. I know your mum is trying to help, but this will probably cause you more resentment
go along and enjoy it. Then watch the film 'Anger Management' starring Adam Sandler.
:troll::troll::troll:
Physically refuse to go. You're 21 and the God of your own life. Anger, hatred and violence are all completely natural and healthy emotions. Don't let these armchair psychologists tell you otherwise.
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Go to the appointment, if you're trying to punch your own brother in the face (no matter how annoying he may be), it's probably the best thing for you.

Damn

My twin brother said that he was hungry (he had gotten up late in the afternoon and was about to go swimming) and my Mum said it was too late to have anything as they had to go. He kept saying that there was enough time to make some toast. I said that he could just make it himself (which he should be perfectly capable of doing) but then he just walked over and started kicking me...

He once punched me in the face and gave me a nose bleed 'cause I was being a bit annoying.

Brothers eh?

But to OP, just go. I can see you have anger problems after just reading that. TBH I don't think your Mum is 'worried' about you or your anger. She wants to make sure that your younger brother is safe. You get annoyed at him for trying to act tough. Where do he thinks he learns from? You.
I think the bigger issue here is that you swinged and missed.

You need to be booked in for boxing lessons. The doctors appointment can wait.

Priorities.
Well tbf if you're 20 and swinging for your bother perhaps she's right in thinking you need help. Just consider yourself lucky that she's supporting you rather than kicking you out or pressing charges
I think that anger and anxiety come from the same place- feeling out of control. I'm a ****ing expert when it comes to anxiety, but there was a point when I was just sitting around feeling too scared to even go outside, so I asked myself what rock bottom I was waiting to hit before getting help. The loss my dignity? Decline in my physical health? Damaging my relationships? Failing in my education?
It was hard, but I got help. I opened up and now three years later I'm well on my way to being alright, to being in control again.

So what rock bottom are you waiting to hit? Endangering yourself? Endangering your family? A criminal record? Do something now before it gets harder.

You can help yourself, you can put your negative energy into good stuff and you can be in control. The best things you do in life will be with other people, that includes getting a therapist to sort out the **** in your head. Go to the appointment.

Quick Reply

Latest