bordergirl13
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've been accepted into my sixth form now, and I'm just wondering is there any preparation I can do for my subjects? (Bio, Politics, History) because I don't want to be behind!
cathasatail
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by champion13)
I've been accepted into my sixth form now, and I'm just wondering is there any preparation I can do for my subjects? (Bio, Politics, History) because I don't want to be behind!
Hi there! Congratulations, first of all!

I've just finished sixth form and so I hope I can be of some help. I did Bio, Chem and History at A level and Physics at AS- might I ask which exam boards you have for Bio and History (and for history which option)?

Thanks,
Sam
bordergirl13
Rep:
?
(Original post by cathasatail)
Hi there! Congratulations, first of all!

I've just finished sixth form and so I hope I can be of some help. I did Bio, Chem and History at A level and Physics at AS- might I ask which exam boards you have for Bio and History (and for history which option)?

Thanks,
Sam
Okay so I think its OCR for Biology, and History it says this on the website "We follow the AQA specification
Unit 1: The Making of a Superpower: The USA, 1865-1975 Unit 2: The Making of Modern Britain, 1951-2007 Unit 3: Historical Investigation: a chance to research and write on a topic of your choice "
so there you go
Rocco123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, well done on getting into the sixth form you wanted 😊 I've just finished year 12 and do OCR biology. It's a big step up from GCSE, particularly vocabulary-wise, and just the shear quantity of content in the course. CGP do an 'Introduction to A Level Biology' book which I found quite useful. Also, just keep persevering with it - in the beginning I found it really hard and was convinced I'd choose to drop it after AS Level. Now, it's my second favourite subject, I've just got an A in AS Level and got a gold in the Biology Olympiad at the end of last year. I've loved studying it, so I hope you do too 😊
bordergirl13
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rocco123)
Hi, well done on getting into the sixth form you wanted 😊 I've just finished year 12 and do OCR biology. It's a big step up from GCSE, particularly vocabulary-wise, and just the shear quantity of content in the course. CGP do an 'Introduction to A Level Biology' book which I found quite useful. Also, just keep persevering with it - in the beginning I found it really hard and was convinced I'd choose to drop it after AS Level. Now, it's my second favourite subject, I've just got an A in AS Level and got a gold in the Biology Olympiad at the end of last year. I've loved studying it, so I hope you do too 😊
Should I do any extra work on it before I start? I want to do really well this time and get all A's/A*'s!!
Rocco123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Should I do any extra work on it before I start? I want to do really well this time and get all A's/A*'s!!
I'd get the CGP guide and just read through it, particularly anything on biochemistry - if you want you could buy a textbook and have a glance over the syllabus, but I think most important is revising before the exam and making sure you understand concepts (and get your practicals done and written up) as you go through the course, so when you come to revise the foundation of your knowledge is solid
cathasatail
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Okay so I think its OCR for Biology, and History it says this on the website "We follow the AQA specification
Unit 1: The Making of a Superpower: The USA, 1865-1975 Unit 2: The Making of Modern Britain, 1951-2007 Unit 3: Historical Investigation: a chance to research and write on a topic of your choice "
so there you go
Hi,
I did different AQA modules (Tsarist/Communist Russia, and, Angevin England) and although I did Yugoslavia for coursework, the basic skills are the same. (I'll talk about that in a moment )

Right, OCR Biology... First of all good luck, it was the A level that I disliked severely (mostly due to the teaching) because, as mentioned by a previous commenter, the sheer volume is mind boggling! We finished AS content the day before the exam and A2 content a week before, this appears to be typical across the country.
-My best advice? Keep on top of things right from the start, might I also suggest getting the CGP OCR Biology revision guide (get the combined year 1 and 2 book) as some of textbooks are plain awful, be prepared to start dabbling in exam Q's right from the start (I wish I had!) and take it steady (i didn't think it was possible to "burn out" but Biology certainly managed it for me!). :\

Now for History! If you're set practice essays then write like it was your final exam answer or your final coursework piece (honestly, the earlier you master essay writing, the better). Learn to love to research; if your school has a library then make full use of it- i practically lived in it for Year 13.
Other than that I would recommend getting the appropriate revision guides for your written exam topics but I would leave that until you've started the course.

Hope that helps,
Sam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (417)
56.5%
I don't have everything I need (321)
43.5%

Watched Threads