The Student Room Group

Is anyone here from Pembroke College?

Hi I got accepted into Pembroke College and I have a few questions about it so I was wondering if there's anyone here that could help me answering them? :smile:
Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kjhgfdsal
Hi I got accepted into Pembroke College and I have a few questions about it so I was wondering if there's anyone here that could help me answering them? :smile:
Thank you

There used to be a few some years ago but not sure if anyone at Pembroke is a regular member here now.....
Is it very urgent?
Your JCR/college parents will get in touch with you in a few weeks time, at latest, most likely with a link to their official facebook page link. So you can ask them via email or on fb page if you can wait.

Or if it's not a very college-specific, nerdy question, I'm sure some of us can help with it.
Reply 2
Original post by vincrows
There used to be a few some years ago but not sure if anyone at Pembroke is a regular member here now.....
Is it very urgent?
Your JCR/college parents will get in touch with you in a few weeks time, at latest, most likely with a link to their official facebook page link. So you can ask them via email or on fb page if you can wait.

Or if it's not a very college-specific, nerdy question, I'm sure some of us can help with it.

No it isn't urgent, I wanted to ask about what the accommodation is like and what I can bring with me, and about matriculation :smile:
No it isn't urgent, I wanted to ask about what the accommodation is like and what I can bring with me, and about matriculation :smile:

You'll get Welcome Pack from your college/JCR in a few weeks time, at latest, with basic info you need to know before you arrive there, including accommodation, matriculation, etc.

Basic things you need to bring (whichever college you'll be at) is......
1) laptop and stationary you need for your study.
2) sports gear if you're planning to play
3) clothing - for casual clothes for daily use and some formal wear for....formal occasions, like...formals, etc.
4) towels, toiletries.
5) bed linens, like duvet cover, sheet, pillow case, though some colleges do provide these to you with some extra cost. If you choose this option they will give you freshly laundered set every two weeks, so no need to wash them yourself....though you have to change them yourself. No need to bring your own duvet/blanket but some colleges provide you with a pillow, some don't, so please check with your college on this.
IF you're an international, a college will provide all necessary bedding, so no need to fly with them!
6) basic set of tableware, cutlery, pots & pans, utensils, etc. There are hobs, a microwave, a kettle and, usually, a toaster and a small fridge to share with 3/4 people in a gyp (kitchen), but everything else you need to bring yourself if you're thinking of preparing a meal yourself. (Bear in mind many do end up cooking some meals by themselves, esp. breakfast, even if they had not intention to when they started)
7) bike, if you're cycling, and, very importantly, a helmet!!!!

If you wanted to ask what to wear for matriculation, here's a thread I make last year for last year's freshers. It shouldn't be too different for this year.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4291154

EDIT:
Bear in mind you'll have to empty your room at the end of each term and bring the stuff back for a new term, unless you're an international for whom colleges have storage space.
A few colleges may provide limited storage space for freshers, too, but most don't.
So be a minimalist. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
That was very useful thank you :smile: I'm just not sure whether we get given a gown for matriculation or if we have to buy it but I guess I will find out :biggrin:
That was very useful thank you :smile: I'm just not sure whether we get given a gown for matriculation or if we have to buy it but I guess I will find out :biggrin:

You'll need a gown in any event for formals, both at your college and elsewhere, plus chapel (if you go) etc etc.

Just follow the herds down Kings Parade to Ryder & Amies in your first week. Everyone will be buying one.

@vincrows has given you some fabulous advice here - full of wisdom.
(edited 6 years ago)

You'll have to buy your own gown. Unless you're with King's (A rebel college who refuse to wear gowns and perhaps Homerton who seems to be a wannabe-King's....)

Many colleges (JCR) hold a gown sale in the college during freshers week, both new ones and second-hand ones. Or from the shop as @Reality Check said.
So no need to buy in advance.
(edited 6 years ago)
Unless you're with King's (A rebel college who refuse to wear gowns and perhaps Homerton who seems to be a wannabe-King's....)

:rofl:

This is so true. I was tempted to tell the OP to buy two - because the chance of losing one during a drunken Hallowe'en formal is actually about 98%. But maybe that's just me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check

Think of anything I forgot to mention in the list?
There bound to be some (read: many) .........
Think of anything I forgot to mention in the list?
There bound to be some (read: many) .........

One thing I've just thought of - network cable. If it's anything like it used to be even in the recent past, wireless internet in college rooms is pretty much non-existent.
One thing I've just thought of - network cable. If it's anything like it used to be even in the recent past, wireless internet in college rooms is pretty much non-existent.

You went to a wrong college, that's why. :biggrin:
My daughter complained every time when she came home for holiday that our internet at home is too slow, so I assume her college had good wireless.

Ah, but that reminded me of something.
Extension lead (4 gangs), preferably with surge protection.
They have several outlets in a room, but sometimes in wrong places or your lead isn't long enough.

And a compact drying rack for,your washing is handy. Will save money on tumble dryer charges.

And at least 2 alarm o'clock, at least, depends on how bad you're in waking up in the morning. :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Thank you both for your great help :smile: I will buy a gown there then and I usually wake up before my alarm :biggrin:

Actually, I just remembered all rooms she had had a network cable (and internal telephone....), but she never needed to use it.
Told you you went to a wrong college.....:tongue:

Thank you both for your great help :smile: I will buy a gown there then and I usually wake up before my alarm :biggrin:

You're most welcome. :smile:

Spoiler

Actually, I just remembered all rooms she had had a network cable (and internal telephone....), but she never needed to use it.
Told you you went to a wrong college.....:tongue:

Haha - but we did have a bar with pints at £1.10. Back in the day, anyway!
Haha - but we did have a bar with pints at £1.10. Back in the day, anyway!

Not entirely sure which is more important ; decent internet connection or cheap pint......

:tongue:
Not entirely sure which is more important ; decent internet connection or cheap pint......

:tongue:

If you're doing Natsci and spend most of your free time rowing, definitely the cheap pints :smile:
If you're doing Natsci and spend most of your free time rowing, definitely the cheap pints :smile:

If you're a rower, cheap pints would probably be your priority, no matter which course you're on. :biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
If you're a rower, cheap pints would probably be your priority, no matter which course you're on. :biggrin:

Spoiler

Oh, it was a bit before then! Ah, they were the days - do you go down to the Plough in Fen Ditton and shout till you're hoarse?
Oh, it was a bit before then! Ah, they were the days - do you go down to the Plough in Fen Ditton and shout till you're hoarse?

Well, been to see the races before she was at Cambridge, too.
You see, two others before her in the family....:wink:
Well, been to see the races before she was at Cambridge, too.
You see, two others before her in the family....:wink:

You'll be getting a statue if you're not careful. Good job it's not at Jesus - you know what happened to the Benin Bronzes. :tongue:

You're sensible, level-headed and an all-round good egg... Don't you think there's been a ridiculous number of "I got 83,298 A* in my GCSEs, am I good enough for Cambridge'? Or am I being very sensitive about it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending