dawideksoltysik
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello Everyone,

My name is Dawid and I recently finished my Alevels. I am here to support you all with the AQA Media Studies AS & A2 course so ask any questions you want. I got an As in my A2 units and a A&B in my AS units.

I am now studying Graphics Design and Media at Uni.

I am willing to help you with theory, and mark essays for you. I can also help you with the disseration part of your A2 Coursework.

Hope I can support you!
daniannandale
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hey Dawid, thanks so much for your time! are yo still willing to help out? i am currently studdying for A2 Media mocks, and the real exam is coming up in june!! last year in AS i got a B.
i guess right now im just confused as to what we actually need to know/study as there are so many different theories and explanations and its all a little too much

hope all is well at uni!
gracechelseas
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, this is a really great offer - thanks for the help! I am struggling a bit with the A2 coursework, I'm writing my essay currently and i'm going to start filming my production piece this weekend but my teachers aren't very helpful at all and so it would be great to get the opinion of someone who's also done the course!

Hope everything is going well at university and well done on your A level grade!

Grace
daniannandale
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gracechelseas)
Hi, this is a really great offer - thanks for the help! I am struggling a bit with the A2 coursework, I'm writing my essay currently and i'm going to start filming my production piece this weekend but my teachers aren't very helpful at all and so it would be great to get the opinion of someone who's also done the course!

Hope everything is going well at university and well done on your A level grade!

Grace
I agree! we are only just starting our coursework so im still a bit confused and haven't had much help...what are you planning on doing for your coursework?
i want to put lots effort into mine so i can get a high grade and have less stress for the exam!
gracechelseas
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by daniannandale)
I agree! we are only just starting our coursework so im still a bit confused and haven't had much help...what are you planning on doing for your coursework?
i want to put lots effort into mine so i can get a high grade and have less stress for the exam!
Do you want to private message? My critical investigation is based on stereotypes, I took it from a question my teacher suggested but i'm not even sure if its right! I'm going to make a scene from a film for my production piece I think, like the start of a BBC investigation sort of documentary? What about you? I know same, want to go in there knowing i've done okay in that
dawideksoltysik
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I wrote the same message to the two of you but I'll write it here for everyone. And sorry, uni and life got a bit busy haha!

In my first year, I had an English teacher teach me Media, she was really nice and tried helping but also taught us the wrong things and the whole class failed and we had our coursework marked down by something like 30 odd marks which was really ridiculous. In my second year, I had a proper Media Teacher and he really went into depth with the case study. We wrote two essays as a class a week and then he marked it and we did 2 lessons of feedback + homework re-write for every essay. And then I did an extra one or two essays a week if I had the time just to see if I can do it alone in timed conditions. This has really helped me because when i started I was getting 24 MAX out of 48 and towards the end I was getting 45,46 when in the real exam I had 47 or even full marks I can't remember. Overall I know I lost like 4 or 5 marks. This is the structure he gave us to use for Section B:

Introduction:

Context

Background

Topic Sentence 1

Topic Sentence 2

Topic Sentence 3

Topic Sentence 4

Close

Main Paragraphs:

Context

Background

Example

Explain

Analyse

Link

Theorise

Close

It's a really good structure and very helpful if you remember it off by heart as it is as simple as fitting your case study around those points and linkin back to the question. Also, if anyone cares I did a very interesting and topical case study how the portrayal of Muslims as terrorist in the media is an Unfair representation and used the TV representation of Muslims as terrorists but shows like 24 where Muslims were shown very loving etc. I was just really annoyed how the media was being unfair and it was marginalising this community so I debated it the paper and made sure my point was strong. Make sure to keep your case study for Section B relevant and something close to you or something you care about as you will then be naturally more fluent in your writing.

Make sure to also focus on section A. Do in-depth case studies on big events in the media, watch the TV two weeks in the run up to your exam - thats what I did and I found it gave me relevant things to link in the identity section about how British values were represented in the facebook advert. Just make sure to always do this - Point, Evidence, Explain, Theorise and Link and you will be on track to do well in Section A. Make sure to keep all of your stuff relevant but pick up the not so obvious stuff. I always concentrated on thinking what would the mark scheme say so i get all the marks but I found when I started to think out of the box and write stuff i thought were more interesting I naturally was more clearer in explaining and being more analytic.With the Critical Investigation bit, I hated that...it was really annoying because you needed to be so precise and detailed and my teacher said it never was as detailed as it could have been, my question was ' How and Why do Moral Panics affect the gender stereotypes in the media' or something like that. It was a good case study but limited media to discuss so I found it hard but I got an A on it so I was happy. It was a good Section B in the A2 paper for a case study too so if anyone wants to have a look, I can post it here too. Hope this helps!
dawideksoltysik
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Wow! 3 years on and now I'm a Media teacher! time flies!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.38%
I'm not sure (45)
4.31%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (311)
29.82%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.59%
I'm not a current university student (510)
48.9%

Watched Threads