The Student Room Group

RE GCSE

I have just received my exams results I got B+ in English and Grade C in RE and was told I cannot study Philosophy and Ethics A level by the sixth form at school because I should have a B and above in RE could you let me know if this is correct
Original post by Liaa
I have just received my exams results I got B+ in English and Grade C in RE and was told I cannot study Philosophy and Ethics A level by the sixth form at school because I should have a B and above in RE could you let me know if this is correct

This decision is at the discretion of the school. They will have their own policies regarding this and it isn't governed by any sort of higher organisation. You could appeal personally to your teachers, and also try to appeal formally. You may also wish to contact other sixth forms and colleges to see whether you would meet their entry criteria.
Reply 2
It depends on the school, I didn't do GCSE RE, but I was allowed to do it at A level due to my B in English Language as the exams are essay based. But RE doesn't have a lot of people taking it at A level usually, (depends on school I guess) so I couldn't see why you couldn't speak to your RE Teacher or Head of Sixth Form about it as it's normally not too competitive. Like the above poster said, you could look at other sixth forms or colleges if you really want to do it? :smile:
It varies from college to college. They usually have these requirements in place because if you can't achieve a B or above in GCSE RE, it is unlikely you will be able to get a top grade in A level philosophy and ethics. The jump in the subjects is quite big, they do this to ensure people pass. However, if you got a B in English language and you can write essays I think it's a bit unfair you could be stopped from taking it, so I would definitely email/ring the college and tell them the situation.

Quick Reply

Latest