javvyjingle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm coming up to having 40 hours of driving lessons (instructor only, no private practice), and am only just getting round to doing my driving theory! Believe it or not, I am one of the only ones in my friendship group to actually have lessons and so I was unaware that you can book your theory test independently without needing your instructor. I was only told this a fortnight ago so booked my theory test for yesterday which I unfortunately failed by 1 mark! 50/50 on the multiple choice and one below the pass mark for hazard perception! So have to do the whole thing again but have a three week wait to re-take it. I am very conscious that my practical test will be delayed because of this and don't really want to have more lessons than I need, which I have tried to relay to my instructor. Myself and my family are thinking he may be trying to rip us off by making me have more lessons than I need,as he originaly quoted me 50-60 hours before I will be test ready, where the friends who have had lessons onlyhad 30-40? There is an 8 week waiting list for driving test so say i put in for it when I pass my theory, it will be mid-November when I come to doing it, and I started my lessons on March 1st! Would you say this is normal? And is there any way to put in for a driving test on a provisional basis before my theory or do I have to wait until I've done my theory! Waiting list for absolutely everything!!!!!
jimbojohn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by javvyjingle)
I'm coming up to having 40 hours of driving lessons (instructor only, no private practice), and am only just getting round to doing my driving theory! Believe it or not, I am one of the only ones in my friendship group to actually have lessons and so I was unaware that you can book your theory test independently without needing your instructor. I was only told this a fortnight ago so booked my theory test for yesterday which I unfortunately failed by 1 mark! 50/50 on the multiple choice and one below the pass mark for hazard perception! So have to do the whole thing again but have a three week wait to re-take it. I am very conscious that my practical test will be delayed because of this and don't really want to have more lessons than I need, which I have tried to relay to my instructor. Myself and my family are thinking he may be trying to rip us off by making me have more lessons than I need,as he originaly quoted me 50-60 hours before I will be test ready, where the friends who have had lessons onlyhad 30-40? There is an 8 week waiting list for driving test so say i put in for it when I pass my theory, it will be mid-November when I come to doing it, and I started my lessons on March 1st! Would you say this is normal? And is there any way to put in for a driving test on a provisional basis before my theory or do I have to wait until I've done my theory! Waiting list for absolutely everything!!!!!
you cant as you need a theory test certificate number in which you need to book your practical test with. what you should've done is pass your theory test first and the have done lessons thereafter. you are not obliged to continue lesson until when you are ready so tell your instructor you will come back to him once you've done your theory. a lot of instructor drag this out and they do so knowingly. you do not have to do your theory with an instructor.
at this stage of hours you have done i would suggest you ask maybe a family member to take you on rides once you have done you theory. without your theory your stuck.

good luck my friend. be patient. i failed my theory test first time and then done it again and passed. i then passed my practical about 3 weeks later with only 4 minors.
javvyjingle
Rep:
?
I know, it seems to be a dilemma, but had I known you can do your theory whenever I would have done it months ago! Infuriating as I also failed it by 1 mark, so have to wait even longer to do it all over again. I was quite lucky as the first theory test I did I got in 4 days after booking, this time, not so lucky ... I'm going to try to get my dad to add me on his insurance, no doubt that will cost an arm and a leg lol!
javvyjingle
Rep:
?
(Original post by jimbojohn)
you cant as you need a theory test certificate number in which you need to book your practical test with. what you should've done is pass your theory test first and the have done lessons thereafter. you are not obliged to continue lesson until when you are ready so tell your instructor you will come back to him once you've done your theory. a lot of instructor drag this out and they do so knowingly. you do not have to do your theory with an instructor.
at this stage of hours you have done i would suggest you ask maybe a family member to take you on rides once you have done you theory. without your theory your stuck.

good luck my friend. be patient. i failed my theory test first time and then done it again and passed. i then passed my practical about 3 weeks later with only 4 minors.
Thanks for replying. I did want to take a break after my theory purely so i don't end up paying for lessons I don't need whilst waiting for my practical, and then ending up dragging out the practical test, but I'm worried that I would need more lessons to remind myself so it seems to be a lose-lose situation.
jimbojohn
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for replying. I did want to take a break after my theory purely so i don't end up paying for lessons I don't need whilst waiting for my practical, and then ending up dragging out the practical test, but I'm worried that I would need more lessons to remind myself so it seems to be a lose-lose situation.
nothing we can do. although i do suggest if you do book your theory make sure you check for earlier available dates but ensure you are ready before hand. my earliest was 3 months away from booking day and just checked cancellation and after like a week i found one.
javvyjingle
Rep:
?
(Original post by jimbojohn)
nothing we can do. although i do suggest if you do book your theory make sure you check for earlier available dates but ensure you are ready before hand. my earliest was 3 months away from booking day and just checked cancellation and after like a week i found one.
Yes I booked it yesterday and it is in 3 weeks. How do you check for cancellations, do you not have to pay extra for that? Can you check for cancellations for practical test too and maybe get one earlier?
BabyChow
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Having too many lessons is not a bad thing. I needed at least 40 and that was with driving my own car with my parents. If your instructor is saying you need that many, he's probably right. Driving tests are expensive, it better to be over prepared than unprepared.
jimbojohn
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes I booked it yesterday and it is in 3 weeks. How do you check for cancellations, do you not have to pay extra for that? Can you check for cancellations for practical test too and maybe get one earlier?
yh for theory you just go on google and type in theory test change and it would be the first link. just click it and put your details and look for any earlier dates. i suggest you give your self at least one week for preparation as its very easy to fail over silly questions.

for practical test you go google type in practical test change .you will need your driving licence number and you theory test pass number and you can change it there also. again give your self time.

dont expect driving to be cheap. i spent at least 500-600 on lessons and exams. if not more. and then you gotta buy a car and then pay for insurance where i am looking at 2k plus if not more. road tax mot car repairs. petrol. think of it as an expensive hobby
diyu98
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know, it seems to be a dilemma, but had I known you can do your theory whenever I would have done it months ago! Infuriating as I also failed it by 1 mark, so have to wait even longer to do it all over again. I was quite lucky as the first theory test I did I got in 4 days after booking, this time, not so lucky ... I'm going to try to get my dad to add me on his insurance, no doubt that will cost an arm and a leg lol!
just want to give you suggestions maybe better to take learner insurance like from marmalade and similiar you can just take one month or two month and more easy,cheap,simple comparing if your dad need to add you to his insurance.i have take the insurance from marmalade for two month which only cost 70.
Rmio
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Name:  IMG_2361.PNG
Views: 271
Size:  243.7 KBjavvyjingle
Hey best wishes for your both tests.
Can you please tell me for how many days you have prepared fir your theory test ??
I have my date on 11th of next month.
Doing about 4 to 5 mock test per day and buy DVSL app for preparation !!
Sharing my practice with you.
Hopefully you will guide and advice me !!
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (105)
13.43%
I'm not sure (35)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.82%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.43%
I'm not a current university student (382)
48.85%

Watched Threads