The Student Room Group

left school early and have no gcses?! what are my options? help!

I left school early due to being stupid and having a dad that allowed me to do what I wanted, my mum begged me to stay but I didn't listen as I was 15 and thought I knew it all. I left about 3 months before I was to sit my GCSE exams and to make me sound even sillier for leaving this close to sitting them I was predicted B-A* in almost all subject areas. Now, 17 moved back in with my mum and regretting leaving school terribly. I managed to get a C in both maths and English GCSEs at college which I could have also done better in as I didn't revise (I was still living with my dad at this point) and I know I am able to resit those in my local college, however, I am wanting to study criminology, biology and psychology which I have already applied to do but the college has come back to me that I cannot do this without a triple science GCSE. Afterwards I am wanting to progress and do these same subjects in uni. I am also very scarce on money. Can anybody tell me what my options are? Or if there is anybody I can speak to that I can discuss my options with? All replies are appreciated thank you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 10equals2
Look into Access courses. You might be able to do one of those as an alternative pathway, though you may have to wait until you're 19.

When I was initially planning to do an access course in 2011, I seen people who were 17 on the course and I asked if age was a big concern as it is a " mature " course to get to University but they stated if you are motivated and determined, they can get into an access course. They make you do an assessment but you need to just get atleast a level 1 in both maths and english. It isn't crazy questions, normally multiple choice.

See if you can get onto that course, It's called " Access to Higher Education " you just need to find what you're looking to go into, look for the course online in the local colleges.
Reply 2
Yep try the access course, and still have a word with a college (not necessarily the one you have planned to go to) as some will allow you on the course if you pass their assessment (maths & English) tests. These are basic, which you do on a computer and get the mark, you have to pass level 2 in both for most courses. If the college disallow you for science then you could do a resit in November or January when ever they sit.

Also you could write direct to the departments you want to work for and see if they offer an apprenticeship or the like. I wrote to Mets. version of NCIS and they were very helpful.

For general apprenticeships check to see if there is a job fair coming up in a few months to meet with local employers etc.

Look into side routes into the same career, it maybe that you can get working in an area which brings you into contact, or work with the people, and thus get on the job experience to add to your CV.

I would resit if you can, as this will hold you in good stead for general employers, make sure you get English and Maths in a decent pass, as employers want those two at a decent standard.

Don't worry about your age, I'm at college with people in their 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s getting a good education. Just decide your education comes first, and get studying and revising.

Good luck.
Original post by Purdy7
Yep try the access course, and still have a word with a college (not necessarily the one you have planned to go to) as some will allow you on the course if you pass their assessment (maths & English) tests. These are basic, which you do on a computer and get the mark, you have to pass level 2 in both for most courses. If the college disallow you for science then you could do a resit in November or January when ever they sit.

Also you could write direct to the departments you want to work for and see if they offer an apprenticeship or the like. I wrote to Mets. version of NCIS and they were very helpful.

For general apprenticeships check to see if there is a job fair coming up in a few months to meet with local employers etc.

Look into side routes into the same career, it maybe that you can get working in an area which brings you into contact, or work with the people, and thus get on the job experience to add to your CV.

I would resit if you can, as this will hold you in good stead for general employers, make sure you get English and Maths in a decent pass, as employers want those two at a decent standard.

Don't worry about your age, I'm at college with people in their 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s getting a good education. Just decide your education comes first, and get studying and revising.

Good luck.

Oh, you have to recieve a level 2 in both? I thought it was level 1 because I remember they said, you need to be working close to Level 2 but we will be teaching you maths and english on the access course. I could be wrong so check in the college course
Reply 4
It might depend on the college course you want to do, still worth checking with college.
Reply 5
Thank you all so much for your replies, I have been able to get an interview for a gcse biology course but I will definitely be looking into these access courses else where as the seem to be quicker paced than my original plan, thank you very much I'll keep you updated on what happens next :smile: x
Original post by kellouu00
I left school early due to being stupid and having a dad that allowed me to do what I wanted, my mum begged me to stay but I didn't listen as I was 15 and thought I knew it all. I left about 3 months before I was to sit my GCSE exams and to make me sound even sillier for leaving this close to sitting them I was predicted B-A* in almost all subject areas. Now, 17 moved back in with my mum and regretting leaving school terribly. I managed to get a C in both maths and English GCSEs at college which I could have also done better in as I didn't revise (I was still living with my dad at this point) and I know I am able to resit those in my local college, however, I am wanting to study criminology, biology and psychology which I have already applied to do but the college has come back to me that I cannot do this without a triple science GCSE. Afterwards I am wanting to progress and do these same subjects in uni. I am also very scarce on money. Can anybody tell me what my options are? Or if there is anybody I can speak to that I can discuss my options with? All replies are appreciated thank you.

Start a YouTube channel.

Jokes aside, there are probably online courses you can take to give you work experience in web development etc. I would say retake your GCSEs.
Hi most people only think of a job as this is what is taught in schools With so many options outside of a job like online opportunities or offline .Why not start earning money from Uni or home starting a home business if you are or when 18 i maybe able to guide you to a very secure monthly income which will pay you much more than a PT minimum wage job??

Quick Reply

Latest