The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Computing 'Q' Grade

Today I got my results back and found OCR are still 'reviewing' a unit of our coursework (A453B) while my other unit of coursework (A452B) got an A*. On the paper I got an A. I know OCR requested further information on August 17th, which we had to send in through a Google Form (questions like could we take out coursework out of class, how secure it was, extra help given, etc) . Our school sent this information in on August 18th as over 30 students had submitted information by then.

This situation happened due to a result of our previous teacher (who left shortly after the incident) showing the class the mark scheme on screen 'by mistake' (her words, of course it got reported straight away to OCR), failing us all. OCR took so long to get back from when it was reported, we didn't have much time to re-do all our coursework and revise for the theory exam.

We then had the other computing teacher take us over who was brilliant and made it super clear as to what he could and couldn't tell us =) All practical lessons were sat in silence, with the password changing as soon as the lesson was over so none of us could get into the high controlled accounts.

I really want to go on to do Computer Science at sixth form, however not many schools in my area (only one >.>) offer it for A-Level. When I went to apply today they could only offer me a conditional place, which could be taken away should more students apply with solid grades.

If OCR were to fail this unit of coursework, what would my overall grade look like / would this impact university choice? In maths I got a 6 and they said the place would be confirmed if I got a 7, due to my other two computing results so far. I've already applied for my maths to be re-marked (although I doubt I will get it pushed up as I need to find 9 marks over 3 papers and said applying is likely a waste of money. Also lost out on doing A-Level Physics and Maths due to the 6, what a fun day this has been :biggrin:).

Currently we have a 0 on this unit of coursework and my school said OCR could take 1 week to a month :frown:
I think in a case like this, if they decide not to take your actual marks into account, they predict what you would get on A453 based on how well you did on A451/2.
Reply 2
Original post by thegalaxy
I think in a case like this, if they decide not to take your actual marks into account, they predict what you would get on A453 based on how well you did on A451/2.

We got told it would just be failed and our final grade would be taken from our other results, but a prediction based on my other coursework sounds a lot better ^_^
Original post by rosehip1248
We got told it would just be failed and our final grade would be taken from our other results, but a prediction based on my other coursework sounds a lot better ^_^

Since it's not your fault, i think that they predict it. If it was your fault though, they probably would just fail you
Reply 4
Since it's not your fault, i think that they predict it. If it was your fault though, they probably would just fail you

If it was failed for some reason, would my final grade be around a C/B or do you have no idea? :colondollar:
Original post by rosehip1248
If it was failed for some reason, would my final grade be around a C/B or do you have no idea? :colondollar:

Depends on what your UMS is.

A low A on the exam gives you 96, a low A* on A452 gives you 81. So that's 177 UMS which is a D overall (C is 180 UMS)
Reply 6
Depends on what your UMS is.

A low A on the exam gives you 96, a low A* on A452 gives you 81. So that's 177 UMS which is a D overall (C is 180 UMS)

I got 104 on A451 and 86 on A452B, would possibly apply for a re-mark on A451 to try and get an A* should it be failed at a worse case choice although it probably would't be worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest