Should books be banned? Watch

shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
There are routinely examples of books being banned by schools, governments, or any number of other institutions, but do you personally think this should be allowed?

If a book is 'unsuitable' do you think it's right that it should be banned, or should it be left to the discretion of the reader? :holmes:
computernerd1001
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thought this was going to be a troll post about banning all books, and I nearly wrote a very sarcastic reply

I suppose it's a tricky issue, especially because I'm not aware of any books being banned at my school, so I don't know what would be classed as 'unsuitable'. I think there are probably some books out there that some schoolchildren probably shouldn't be reading at that age, and books that should be on a case by case basis, but it's a slippery slope if a school can ban a book for whatever it deems 'unsuitable' for its audience.
jimbojohn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
There are routinely examples of books being banned by schools, governments, or any number of other institutions, but do you personally think this should be allowed?

If a book is 'unsuitable' do you think it's right that it should be banned, or should it be left to the discretion of the reader? :holmes:
when i was in school apparently one of hitlers books or scripts were banned which i thought was funny. did they expect us to turn in to a nazi once we've read it 😂😂 although i understand people can be brainwashed very easily around the world so yh depends on what the content of the book involves.
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Report 2 years ago
Just make restricted sections and let the older (and hopefully more mature) students have access to these 'unsuitable' books.

Same sort of thing with public libraries, put a minimum age to access them in place, and give those who show an interest in it a heads up on the nature of the books.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

A clear no. Never ever, if it is a different view to a dogma. Same applies to another view on society and social life.
T134O2L5E6
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
if a kid wants to read a book leave that to them and their parents. Doesent mean schools should have erotica in their libraries though
erxci
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Without perspective, regardless of how extreme or radical it may be perceived or made out to be, there would be no change. For this reason solely, I don't think any books should be banned. Banning a book is a ban against the author, their ideology and an explicit breach of free speech.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by T134O2L5E6)
if a kid wants to read a book leave that to them and their parents. Doesent mean schools should have erotica in their libraries though
Erotica in schools are a plausible reason to ban books. Thanks to you I know when it is okay to ban them.
Iridocyclitis
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

The problem society has is that if any books are banned on the basis of being "offensive", then it's hypocritical not to also ban the holy books for the things they say about homosexuals, disbelievers, etc.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Erotica in schools are a plausible reason to ban books. Thanks to you I know when it is okay to ban them.
Books which are pure erotica, yes. But books which contain erotic themes are perfectly valid reading material.

I don't see the sense in pretending that a 15-year-old kid doesn't know what sex is. It is better they learn from a kinky scene in 1984 more so than Fake Taxi.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
Books which are pure erotica, yes. But books which contain erotic themes are perfectly valid reading material. (...)
okay, to be a bit more precise, that is okay too. I see no reason to agree in this point of your view.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
7.31%
They might tell the bully (26)
10%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.15%
It might lead to more bullying (94)
36.15%
There's nothing they could do (79)
30.38%

Watched Threads