England Squad

Watch this thread
yudothis
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/41031190

As a German, I am not worried about England at all for next year, sorry.

That's just not a squad anyone has to be afraid of. Unless you really gel as a team. But you haven't managed to do that. In ever? When you did win, you did have great players.

You do have some quality players, your strikers are better than ours, but there is no one where I would say yea he can carry the team. Who is your best player? Alli? He is no Kroos. Kane is no Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar/Mbappe

What do you guys think? Are you optimistic or pessimistic?
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yudothis)
http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/41031190

As a German, I am not worried about England at all for next year, sorry.

That's just not a squad anyone has to be afraid of. Unless you really gel as a team. But you haven't managed to do that. In ever? When you did win, you did have great players.

You do have some quality players, your strikers are better than ours, but there is no one where I would say yea he can carry the team. Who is your best player? Alli? He is no Kroos. Kane is no Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar/Mbappe

What do you guys think? Are you optimistic or pessimistic?
Our team is okay, it's not great but we have some good, young players in there. Let's see how we do, we play Malta and then Slovakia, not exactly challenging games but if we can't comfortably win then there's going to be questions asked.
yudothis
Rep:
(Original post by UWS)
Our team is okay, it's not great but we have some good, young players in there. Let's see how we do, we play Malta and then Slovakia, not exactly challenging games but if we can't comfortably win then there's going to be questions asked.
...Not saying you won't qualify. I am saying you won't be contenders at the World Cup.
Mess.
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone actually get hyped up and optimistic for England matches? They are so dull and, along with all international football during the season, just get in the way of the football that is actually played to a high standard.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Rusty Spork)
Does anyone actually get hyped up and optimistic for England matches? They are so dull and, along with all international football during the season, just get in the way of the football that is actually played to a high standard.
Haven't watched them outside of a tournament for years. Absolutely hate international football interrupting the season.

Half the players in that squad aren't even guaranteed starters for their clubs. Going to be another poor tournament next year.
username1439610
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Couldn't care less about them. A waste of time. They're literally there to make up the numbers. They'll get knocked out early again and the same cycle will repeat.
difeo
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
International tournaments are as good as football gets, international breaks are boring as ****. Would rather they cut them out, allowing the season to finish in April, and then do all the qualifiers at once, finishing in early June.
Diego Costa
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
International tournaments are as good as football gets, international breaks are boring as ****. Would rather they cut them out, allowing the season to finish in April, and then do all the qualifiers at once, finishing in early June.
I reckon top players having 60+ game seasons and then featuring heavily in qualifiers with just three or four weeks before pre season starts could lead to complaints and injuries.

England have always shoehorned attacking players into their formation which has led to problems. England looked best in 2002-04 when they had Butt/Barry/Hargreaves giving balance in centre midfield before they persisted with Gerrard/Lampard for years and years.
difeo
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Diego Costa)
I reckon top players having 60+ game seasons and then featuring heavily in qualifiers with just three or four weeks before pre season starts could lead to complaints and injuries.

England have always shoehorned attacking players into their formation which has led to problems. England looked best in 2002-04 when they had Butt/Barry/Hargreaves giving balance in centre midfield before they persisted with Gerrard/Lampard for years and years.
England have had 9 games since the euros, so it'd be pretty much the same, just all moved to the end of the season
sr90
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
All the dross should have to pre-qualify. What is the benefit in Germany playing Gibraltar or England playing San Marino? Neither side gets anything from it. Let them play each other and earn the right to play the better teams, reducing the number of games.

I accept that sometimes it will have to be played during the season, but three breaks from Sept-Nov is a ****ing joke, as is the one at the end of March where key players always get injured. Reduce the number of games then have 2 weeks off in say, October, before playing the others in the summer. Problem solved.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Why have you included Mbappe? Kane is 20+ goals three seasons running, he's proved himself. Mbappe hasn't even scored for his country yet? Mbappe is a player for the future, but as of right now I will take Harry Kane thank you very much.

And no I'm not optimistic, though am more optimistic than I would have been if Rooney was still in the team. It will be like playing with eleven men not ten from now on :cool:
yudothis
Rep:
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Why have you included Mbappe? Kane is 20+ goals three seasons running, he's proved himself. Mbappe hasn't even scored for his country yet? Mbappe is a player for the future, but as of right now I will take Harry Kane thank you very much.

And no I'm not optimistic, though am more optimistic than I would have been if Rooney was still in the team. It will be like playing with eleven men not ten from now on :cool:
I would take Mbappe in a heart beat but ok. Have you compared how they play? Kane is a "striker" there in the right moment, knows how to finish. That's it. So is Mbappe, but on top he is a brilliant footballer.

Agreed. Good on him for retiring and focusing on Everton.
mojojojo101
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Apart from upfront and maybe full back you look at England's best players and Germnay have 4 or 5 players in those positions either as good as or better than their Englsih equivalents, it's the same for France although they also have plenty of quality upfront as well.

England aren't even in consideration for semi finals let alone winners, even then they could easily go out at any stage before that as well.
yudothis
Rep:
(Original post by mojojojo101)
Apart from upfront and maybe full back you look at England's best players and Germnay have 4 or 5 players in those positions either as good as or better than their Englsih equivalents, it's the same for France although they also have plenty of quality upfront as well.

England aren't even in consideration for semi finals let alone winners, even then they could easily go out at any stage before that as well.
True, I forgot about your full backs, they are pretty good, better than ours for sure.
username917703
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I would take Mbappe in a heart beat but ok. Have you compared how they play? Kane is a "striker" there in the right moment, knows how to finish. That's it. So is Mbappe, but on top he is a brilliant footballer.

Agreed. Good on him for retiring and focusing on Everton.
Kane isn't a brilliant footballer?
crosssafley
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
*City of England
yudothis
Rep:
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Kane isn't a brilliant footballer?
No.
username402722
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I am glad that they all sung the National Anthem. Better than Beckham;s miming or other's silence.
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No.
Mbappe isn't on Kane's level yet, sorry
username917703
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
Mbappe isn't on Kane's level yet, sorry
Thinking that a teenage striker who has just had one good season is suddenly better than an established international who has the same record as Kane is the exact sort of thing English fans get slated for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.75%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
7.03%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.19%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.31%

Watched Threads