The Student Room Group

History then GDL? Advice?

Hi, I just need some advice on my current situation. I've always wanted to study History at Uni because I genuinely have an interest in the subject. I'm currently going to start Modern History with Politics at a Russel Group this September. Problems is that I also desire to enter a career in law, solicitor or barrister related as although I love History, I feel like my career options after will be too narrow and I'd prefer a career where there is a good salary you can progress from such as law. In other words, I'd prefer to study History Academically but Law Vocationlly if that makes sense. I've heard of that GDL thing, but I want to know if eventually doing a GDL will put at a disadvantage compared to those who took straight LLB law. Also I heard that Many Grads who do GDL tend to have done History prior? As long as I get a 2.1 or higher by the end of my course, and decide to take a GDL will I be in the same position as those who did Law LLB? It's just that I'm still abit confused career wise. I wouldn't mind being a Uni lecturer in History but thing is after History my options I realise will be narrow. Only History and Politics related careers such as Teaching and government related such as Civil Service are options afterwards. If I did a GDL after History with a 2.1 or over will firms look at me of a less ideal choice compared to Law LLB grads?I'd prefer a career in law, but I'd prefer to study History as it's a passion. I have been thinking of changing my course to law but I won't enjoy it as much as History as much academically. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by LordProtector
Hi, I just need some advice on my current situation. I've always wanted to study History at Uni because I genuinely have an interest in the subject. I'm currently going to start Modern History with Politics at a Russel Group this September. Problems is that I also desire to enter a career in law, solicitor or barrister related as although I love History, I feel like my career options after will be too narrow and I'd prefer a career where there is a good salary you can progress from such as law. In other words, I'd prefer to study History Academically but Law Vocationlly if that makes sense. I've heard of that GDL thing, but I want to know if eventually doing a GDL will put at a disadvantage compared to those who took straight LLB law. Also I heard that Many Grads who do GDL tend to have done History prior? As long as I get a 2.1 or higher by the end of my course, and decide to take a GDL will I be in the same position as those who did Law LLB? It's just that I'm still abit confused career wise. I wouldn't mind being a Uni lecturer in History but thing is after History my options I realise will be narrow. Only History and Politics related careers such as Teaching and government related such as Civil Service are options afterwards. If I did a GDL after History with a 2.1 or over will firms look at me of a less ideal choice compared to Law LLB grads?I'd prefer a career in law, but I'd prefer to study History as it's a passion. I have been thinking of changing my course to law but I won't enjoy it as much as History as much academically. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

No paragraphs and you sound very muddled.

If you do the GDL after your degree, then when completed you may go to the next stage of training called the LPC or BPTC, which is what all the law graduates do after their degrees. You will have studied one year of core law, plus whatever you managed in your subject v 3 years of law for an LLB.

You will be on equal footing and wont really be at a disadvantage.

Intake for Solicitors is split 50/50 between Law and Non Law.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger

If you do the GDL after your degree, then when completed you may go to the next stage of training called the LPC or BPTC, which is what all the law graduates do after their degrees. You will have studied one year of core law, plus whatever you managed in your subject v 3 years of law for an LLB.

Thanks for your input.
Original post by 999tigger

Split 50/50, but that's law vs every other subject. It does not follow that the footing is equal.

Although, to OP, plenty of people make it with a history degree and you should be fine. History is easier to get a first in, get some good extracurricular in, and you should be set. Also tigger is right about paragraphing.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Split 50/50, but that's law vs every other subject. It does not follow that the footing is equal.

Although, to OP, plenty of people make it with a history degree and you should be fine. History is easier to get a first in, get some good extracurricular in, and you should be set. Also tigger is right about paragraphing.

They arent going to discriminate based on doing History through. there is no favouritism shown to law graduates im, but I get your point.

Paragraphing aside , the content is muddled.
Reply 5
Sorry about the no paragraphing, I was speed texting as I was in a hurry. But anyways, thank you both for your advice, much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest