The Student Room Group

I am not happy and don't know what to do..

So i got my GCSE results today and i'm really disappointed and sad.. and i have no clue what to do next.
I got 2 GCSE's which is terrible my mom says. :frown:
Maths Tier F = 4
English language = 3 END1 = P
English lit = 2
Art and design = E
Science A = D
French = D
History = E
Computing = C

Now i know this is bad and i'm not happy at all so if anyone could tell me what do i need to do next it would be helpful. Thanks.

The course i applied for was IT - Networking and Support Level 3 Extended Diploma
The requirements are 4 C-A* GCSE'S including Maths and English Language
Now i didn't get them results, and i don't want to do level 2 because it will seem like a waste of a year because i already know a lot in IT and have built a portfolio(well sort of)
I have done one project in the summer of programming a bot for a gaming platform.
I believe i will have to retake English Language but i was wondering if i could know my mark(?) because i don't know it and if i want to get it remarked then i would want to know it.
So if someone can help me out it would be a lot of help.
I'm sorry you are so disappointed. Realistically I think the level 2 course would be your best bet. It's only for a year, which feels like a long time now, but will soon go by, and if you do well you will probably be able to go onto the level 3 course. You have to do some sort of education or training, and at least this would be in a subject you enjoy and want to do. You could carry on with your own programming at home too.

Your school should be able to tell you your English Language mark, and whether it is worth asking for it to be remarked, which it might be if you are very close to the grade boundary.
Reply 2
Original post by 2childmum
I'm sorry you are so disappointed. Realistically I think the level 2 course would be your best bet. It's only for a year, which feels like a long time now, but will soon go by, and if you do well you will probably be able to go onto the level 3 course. You have to do some sort of education or training, and at least this would be in a subject you enjoy and want to do. You could carry on with your own programming at home too.

Your school should be able to tell you your English Language mark, and whether it is worth asking for it to be remarked, which it might be if you are very close to the grade boundary.

But i feel i will never be able to do what i want to do with my grades.
I have 2 god damn GCSE's and no one will hire me in the future they all look for 5 C-A* GCSE's including maths and English and this troubles me :frown:
I don't know what to do
I am just..confused :frown:((
The level 2 course will count as a certain number of GCSEs. Once you have that, and have retaken your English language you will most likely be able to either take the level 3 or maybe get an apprenticeship, which you will be able to do with the qualifications you will then have. Once you have the level 2 or 3 and the English and maths GCSE then most employers will be happy with that, especially as it's a more vocational qualification.

You could even try looking for an apprenticeship now. Although lots do ask for GCSEs some don't, and the fact you have a bit of a portfolio you could show them would work in your favour. You could try looking here - https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch and putting in different search words like 'ict' or 'computing'. You could even go to college but keep looking for an apprenticeship whilst you are there.

I know you are unhappy and confused right now. When is the college enrolment day? I think it would be a good idea to go to that and speak to the people there about what you can do next, and where it might lead. Is there someone you can take with you? Ask your mum if she can go. She is probably disappointed for you, but if you go to college you can come up with a plan, and things will seem less hopeless
Go to college and pay privately for GCSEs at a private centre start revising now maybe take 6 GCSEs do them all in November like maths and English and there are a lot of resources online e.g. YouTube up learn maths genie etc x
(edited 6 years ago)
You can only retake Maths and English in November. All the other GCSEs can only be taken in the summer and next summer it will be all the new 9-1 GCSEs, so totally different exams. IGCSEs can be taken in November (CIE) or January (Edexcel) but again totally different exams. Plus it's not that easy to find private centres, and they can charge a fortune (roughly £160 each in this area).

Sleep on it. Then go to college enrolment and see what they say.
Reply 6
Original post by 2childmum
The level 2 course will count as a certain number of GCSEs. Once you have that, and have retaken your English language you will most likely be able to either take the level 3 or maybe get an apprenticeship, which you will be able to do with the qualifications you will then have. Once you have the level 2 or 3 and the English and maths GCSE then most employers will be happy with that, especially as it's a more vocational qualification.

You could even try looking for an apprenticeship now. Although lots do ask for GCSEs some don't, and the fact you have a bit of a portfolio you could show them would work in your favour. You could try looking here - https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch and putting in different search words like 'ict' or 'computing'. You could even go to college but keep looking for an apprenticeship whilst you are there.

I know you are unhappy and confused right now. When is the college enrolment day? I think it would be a good idea to go to that and speak to the people there about what you can do next, and where it might lead. Is there someone you can take with you? Ask your mum if she can go. She is probably disappointed for you, but if you go to college you can come up with a plan, and things will seem less hopeless

Well i have an appointment at the college next week then they will see what can be done but im still unsure.
I was looking at apprenticeships and i don't see myself there..thanks a lot though for the support, my mom is very disappointed in me. :frown:
Original post by Ninagabriella
Go to college and pay privately for GCSEs at a private centre start revising now maybe take 6 GCSEs do them all in November like maths and English and there are a lot of resources online e.g. YouTube up learn maths genie etc x

Unfortunately my mom doesn't have such cash lying around to do this and im not sure where they do this.
But is it possible to do 6 gcse's starting now in november in college too?
Confused a lot right now.
If you could clear some stuff up it would be wonderful.
I'm glad to hear you have an appointment at college. You won't be able to take GCSEs apart from English and Maths in November, even at college.

Does your college do GCSE resits in subjects other than English and Maths? One college near us has just introduced GCSEs, but none of the others do. But you will only be able to take them next summer and it will be all new exams with different content and types of questions.

Level 2 courses (which realistically is what you will be able to do) tend to be BTEC type courses - and they can get you where you want to go, it might just take you a bit longer.

I'm sorry your mum is disappointed. It's horrid upsetting people we love. I'm sure she just wants what's best for you, and schools etc go on and on about needing good GCSEs. They do open doors for you, but there are other options which do that too. Be nice to your mum - make her a cup of tea and give her a hug, and show her you are thinking about all the options you do have. I'm sure she will be pleased to see you are being mature and taking some action to sort it out. Good luck at college. Let us know what happens
Original post by bebd
So i got my GCSE results today and i'm really disappointed and sad.. and i have no clue what to do next.
Maths Tier F = 4
English lit = 2
Art and design = E
Science A = D
French = D
History = E
Computing = C

Now i know this is bad and i'm not happy at all so if anyone could tell me what do i need to do next it would be helpful. Thanks.

The course i applied for was IT - Networking and Support Level 3 Extended Diploma
Now i didn't get them results, and i don't want to do level 2 because it will seem like a waste of a year because i already know a lot in IT and have built a portfolio(well sort of)
I have done one project in the summer of programming a bot for a gaming platform.
I believe i will have to retake English Language but i was wondering if i could know my mark(?) because i don't know it and if i want to get it remarked then i would want to know it.

Hopefully there will be a college local to you that will let you do a year to resit some gcses, that's what my fiance did when he left school with one gcse. He got a first in his education degree a couple of years ago so don't lose hope, see it as a bit of a stumble that you have to find a way through.
Original post by bebd
Well i have an appointment at the college next week then they will see what can be done but im still unsure.
I was looking at apprenticeships and i don't see myself there..thanks a lot though for the support, my mom is very disappointed in me. :frown:

Unfortunately my mom doesn't have such cash lying around to do this and im not sure where they do this.
But is it possible to do 6 gcse's starting now in november in college too?
Confused a lot right now.
If you could clear some stuff up it would be wonderful.

I'm bit sure about if the college would allow you to sit the exams But I would call colleges to ask but if you want to your GCSEs again you will have to pay privately which is expensive but totally worth it eg maths in November and sciences in November which are harder :/
Reply 10
I feel like my life has been ruined right now i feel like a total failure and i don't think im going to get anywhere in life with these results ;(
Thanks for the support but the belief in myself has disappeared and i also had a grade knocked down in computing i should've got a B but one of my course work got sent to the board and they decided to grade it a C whereas my teacher graded it a B and i also got 72/80 in the actual test so i was not happy with anything from today.
At the end of the day
I am a failure.
:frown:
a apprenticeship might be a good place for you to look. loads of people who aren't as good in the classroom are much happier there and you can go to college like twice a week to retake English and maths
Reply 12
Original post by bebd
I feel like my life has been ruined right now i feel like a total failure and i don't think im going to get anywhere in life with these results ;(
Thanks for the support but the belief in myself has disappeared and i also had a grade knocked down in computing i should've got a B but one of my course work got sent to the board and they decided to grade it a C whereas my teacher graded it a B and i also got 72/80 in the actual test so i was not happy with anything from today.
At the end of the day
I am a failure.

Don't say you're a failure. Do you think you studied hard enough for gcse's? I
Original post by bebd
At the end of the day
I am a failure.

Remember you will always be able to take GCSEs in the future, its just that this time is gonna take more waiting and money. But loads of people do it as adults. For now, focus on getting English and Maths in November and equivalents! As a way to get to where you want to go.
Reply 14
Original post by Orangeak13
a apprenticeship might be a good place for you to look. loads of people who aren't as good in the classroom are much happier there and you can go to college like twice a week to retake English and maths

I guess i could but the problem is most companies are looking for 5-4 A*-C GCSE's. :frown:

Original post by klausss
Don't say you're a failure. Do you think you studied hard enough for gcse's? I

I tried very hard i believe and my mom even got me a tutor for english and maths. :frown:
Original post by Popsiclez
Remember you will always be able to take GCSEs in the future, its just that this time is gonna take more waiting and money. But loads of people do it as adults. For now, focus on getting English and Maths in November and equivalents! As a way to get to where you want to go.

I can, but i have a question how long would it take after i've retook the exams to get marked would it be next year then? also im doing AQA are you sure its in november? I don't know anything.
Unless you are applying for Medicine there is always hope, I too flopped my GCSEs, currently getting them remarked and if they don't turn out to be good I will simply redo my GCSE all over again as a private candidate and apply to Sixth Form the year after.
Original post by bebd
Maths Tier F = 4
English lit = 2
Art and design = E
Science A = D
French = D
History = E
Computing = C

Hi there,

To start off, it isn't the end of the world. There are many people out there who have absolutely no qualifications and are living very successful lives. Qualifications don't mean everything. The important thing to consider is what the long-term ambition. If it takes a few extra years to get there then that's no problem, it'll feel more worth it once you get there. Secondly, you're not a failure. The GCSE's aren't a perimeter for success in life, they are a memory test, nothing more. Life is going to throw challenges at you my friend. While its natural to feel upset, you've gotta move on and calculate your next move. You will get there, just as long as you do the work and commit. I have complete and utter faith that you'll be fine. Have faith, you'll get this. I wish you the best of luck.

Regards
Reply 17
Original post by The RAR
Unless you are applying for Medicine there is always hope, I too flopped my GCSEs, currently getting them remarked and if they don't turn out to be good I will simply redo my GCSE all over again as a private candidate and apply to Sixth Form the year after.

How do you do that?
I'm confused.

Original post by KieranAdam
Hi there,

To start off, it isn't the end of the world. There are many people out there who have absolutely no qualifications and are living very successful lives. Qualifications don't mean everything. The important thing to consider is what the long-term ambition. If it takes a few extra years to get there then that's no problem, it'll feel more worth it once you get there. Secondly, you're not a failure. The GCSE's aren't a perimeter for success in life, they are a memory test, nothing more. Life is going to throw challenges at you my friend. While its natural to feel upset, you've gotta move on and calculate your next move. You will get there, just as long as you do the work and commit. I have complete and utter faith that you'll be fine. Have faith, you'll get this. I wish you the best of luck.

Regards

There are many successful people who have no qualifications but thats a 0.1% chance to happen to anyone they're very lucky people to be honest.
Also guys, i don't think i should waste money getting it remarked i will just do it again so if i do it again is it in november? exam board is AQA so i was just wondering. Thanks everyone.
:wink:)
OK, things didn't go to plan. It's a setback, but sometimes these things happen.

I think that whatever happens, you will be best off redoing some of your GCSEs and getting another tutor for English. In today's world you ideally need to have five passes at GCSE.

Were you prepared for the exams themselves? Had you looked at past papers? How did you revise? Did you get on with your tutor?

Thinking about those questions might help you to identify where things went wrong.

I would advise taking a year to redo your exams and then applying to a school (probably a private school) as a private candidate. It will cost money to resit but it will be worth it. Maybe you could even try a couple of different subjects -- I did all my GCSEs as a private candidate and you only need a year of study to be able to take many subjects at GCSE, from scratch.

If you'd like any help with English Language, I'm doing it for my degree and I got an A* at A-level so I can possibly give you some pointers. Same goes for revision methods. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest