How do uni students afford living accomodation? Watch

theeetimdoherty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi
I'm looking to go to Oxford University but just realised that, not only would I have to pay £9250 for each year but also another £10,000 or so to actually live there. I live in Portsmouth so obviously I'm gonna have to live there. How do most students afford this, especially if they aren't wealthy?
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by theeetimdoherty)
Hi
I'm looking to go to Oxford University but just realised that, not only would I have to pay £9250 for each year but also another £10,000 or so to actually live there. I live in Portsmouth so obviously I'm gonna have to live there. How do most students afford this, especially if they aren't wealthy?
They get a job.
mythical.6
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi
tuition fee and maintenance loans through student finance.

personally, my tuition fees are covered and paid directly to my uni to then be paid off later in life and maintenance loans give me ~£8000 to pay my rent/live off. I'm personally not very wealthy so this loan could be considered quite high but it's VERY needed. I believe the highest is around £11000

student finance applications are mandatory or at least they were in my school, so don't worry. they'll cater loans to your situation and it'll hopefully cover your costs

edit: also, obviously, some people just save up, be it through a year of saving in a gap year or whatever
jkls92
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
Hi
Most get it from family
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Student loan, part time job and gambling.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi
I don't know where you got the £10,000 figure from for accomodation costs. As an example Merton College term time accomodation is £3,472 with a shared bathroom or £3,677 for an ensuite room.

Students get money for living costs from at least one of the following five sources
1) Maintainance loan- the lower the household income the more money you get. If your household income is under £25,000 you should get enough to live on comfortably. Higher than that and it depends on accomodation costs.
2) University bursary- if your household income is low you will be entitled to a non repayable bursary from Oxford.
3) Student overdraft- student bank accounts come with overdrafts, usually starting at £500-£1000 in the first year and going up to £2,000 or so.
4) Bank of Mum & Dad
5) Part time job- although Oxford forbid working in term time you have extra long holidays to get a part time job in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (116)
17.6%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (70)
10.62%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (115)
17.45%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (97)
14.72%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (198)
30.05%

Watched Threads