Studying Dentistry Abroad Watch

Ruffio Lorenzo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all, unfortunately this year my A levels have been close but not close enough to study Dentistry in the UK: ABB with an A in my extended project on dentistry. As its probably fairly unlikely that I'd be able to get into a UK dental school, I'm hoping to get some information about studying dentistry abroad?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where would be a good place to apply for 2018, my main concerns/queries are as follows:

Finances, if getting any student loans is possible
Local launguage
Whether the qualification is recognized in the UK and would let me practice back home
General student life compared to UK dental unis?

Thanks for any help!
mkmittens
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there. I am sure you can get into UK dental schools with these grades. There is a gateway to dentistry programme at Bristol and the entry requirements is BBC for A level. Also you can apply for dentistry at Leeds Uni through access to leeds. this access programme lowers the entry requirements to ABB. I was predicted ABB for my A levels and I managed to get an interview a Leeds with these predictions because I applied through access to leeds. you will have to be eligible for the access programme so you can check that on the leeds uni website.Don't stress about it because you have actually got really good A level grades and there is no harm done in trying these two options.Hope this helps
Ruffio Lorenzo
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately I don't meet enough or any of the criteria for both access to bristol/leeds courses so that's not an option for me. Alongside looking at studying abroad, I've noticed that Newcastle's Biomedical Science course has an option to switch across to dentistry if you get high enough marks over the first year. Its competitive, like really competitive so if I did aim for this and fail I could apply as a postgrad is my thinking.
Thanks for the help though!
mkmittens
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you sure you don't meet the requirements for the gateway to Bristol because the A for the extended project isn't counted only the ABB for your 3 main A levels and the GCSE requirements are minimum grade Cs. I guess you could just use the project to prepare for a dentistry interview.
Biomed at Newcastle seems like a good backup but like you said, it's risky but there's no harm in applying for that course.
For a postgrad course you need to pay 9 grand straight from your pocket each year. I didnt know this at the time when I was considering to apply for dentistry as a postgrad.
My main advice is take all the opportunities out there. What you could do is apply for the gateway to Bristol, Biomed at newcastle as a backup and the rest could be dental schools abroad if that's possible.
Anyways, I hope your successful with whatever you do and fulfill your dream of becoming a dentist!
Ruffio Lorenzo
Rep:
?
Hi sorry for the late reply, but as far as I know for the bristol gateway in order to be eligible you need to have two of seven or so categories, stuff like having had free school meals or being in care; which I don't personally meet.

Having said that it couldnt hurt to phone up! All they can say is no and I've got the biomed route at Newcastle as a viable option.
Thanks for the help and support, it's definitely helped over the previous week!
Adithya Patnam
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, i was just wondering what sort of extended project did you do and how does it work out for dentistry. Thanks in advance!
Adithya Patnam
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does bristol need a C or B in gcse english? Also what percentage of applicants get accepted to the gateway to dentistry course at bristol?
Ruffio Lorenzo
Rep:
?
Hi,

I researched the technology and ethical practices of medieval, and Victorian dentistry as my extended project, and how they effected practice and patient care. I don't think any universities give lower entry requirements for it, but it makes you a more interesting candidate and you stand out in interview because it shows you have some knowledge of dentistry already.

In regards to Bristol, I'm not sure. I think universities want at least a B in english and maths, but they also want so many A* and A's as welll- how many varies uni to uni

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (201)
22.19%
The paper was reasonable (385)
42.49%
Not feeling great about that exam... (173)
19.09%
It was TERRIBLE (147)
16.23%

Watched Threads