Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi
Last edited by purplesockmonkey; 10 months ago
purplesockmonkey
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Also thought I should mention that the subjects I got As in were unrelated to what I wanted to study and I got very high marks in the related ones. (Just for context)
WiseLeo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by purplesockmonkey)
Hi! I got my results today and I'm very happy with them – 7A*s and 2As!! ( We could only do 9.) And people are now advising I should consider Oxbridge.
However, I know the context of results is very important so please help me out here. In a year group of about 165-175 people, 19 people got 8-9A*s – i.e 19 people did better than me. I know 19 is not a lot, especially out of 170ish, so I'm delighted (!!!) but is this good enough contextually for Oxbridge??

Please reply, especially if you have greater knowledge of the admissions process. Thanks so much in advance!!!
You did lets say 'good enough' . Your result wont hinder you nor will they advantage you. The rest relies on your Alevels /personal statement/entrance exam/potential interview. So forget your results their fine just buckle up and start thinking ahead of time how to best prepare
lowza
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey! I totally know how you feel - I was very proud of my 8 A* and 3 As last year but there were four people who got higher than me - including one person who got 11 A*s!

At an English taster day at Balliol, Oxford they spoke a lot about GCSE grades so this might help. I hate to say it, but they emphasised the idea of your GCSEs having to be contextually good A LOT. However, I think this was much more in terms of reassuring those who had poorer GCSEs (no A*s or very few) but who actually performed well in their school. At the end of the day, 7A*s is 7A*s and thats an incredible achievement, I absolutely think you should have no worries about your GCSE results when thinking about applying to Oxbridge.

You also have to remember that you're going to (probably) be sending in work, you'll have your AS results or/and A2 predictions, a personal statement, references and whatever exam they make you take. It isn't just your GCSEs that they're looking at, but all of that combined. If you perform well in all of those too - you're almost guaranteed to get an interview. If that goes well, then you'll hopefully get an offer.

Those are amazing results that you should be delighted with, and there's no harm in applying for Oxbridge! You've just gotta see what happens.

Good luck X
purplesockmonkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by Econowizard)
You did lets say 'good enough' . Your result wont hinder you nor will they advantage you. The rest relies on your Alevels /personal statement/entrance exam/potential interview. So forget your results their fine just buckle up and start thinking ahead of time how to best prepare
Thanks! Just want to see if it's worth me applying – don't want to waste my option!
purplesockmonkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by lowza)
Hey! I totally know how you feel - I was very proud of my 8 A* and 3 As last year but there were four people who got higher than me - including one person who got 11 A*s!

At an English taster day at Balliol, Oxford they spoke a lot about GCSE grades so this might help. I hate to say it, but they emphasised the idea of your GCSEs having to be contextually good A LOT. However, I think this was much more in terms of reassuring those who had poorer GCSEs (no A*s or very few) but who actually performed well in their school. At the end of the day, 7A*s is 7A*s and thats an incredible achievement, I absolutely think you should have no worries about your GCSE results when thinking about applying to Oxbridge.

You also have to remember that you're going to (probably) be sending in work, you'll have your AS results or/and A2 predictions, a personal statement, references and whatever exam they make you take. It isn't just your GCSEs that they're looking at, but all of that combined. If you perform well in all of those too - you're almost guaranteed to get an interview. If that goes well, then you'll hopefully get an offer.

Those are amazing results that you should be delighted with, and there's no harm in applying for Oxbridge! You've just gotta see what happens.

Good luck X
Thanks for your kindness and helpfulness! I wish you the best of luck if you're applying this autumn xxx
mutd2103
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I also got 7 A* and 4 A's. I go to a grammar school so a lot of people did better than me so I know how you're feeling right now.
cricinfo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lowza)

Good luck X
Hi, just seen this thread and realised that my results are quite similar to the original poster.

On GCSE results day 2017 I got 7A*, 1A and 1B.

The A*s were in Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, English Language, Spanish and History. The A was in English Literature and the B in Media.

Do you think these results will be enough for Law at Cambridge/Oxford? I was a little worried as I myself took 9 GCSEs, while most of my friends took 10 or more (albeit a few did not pass some). Do Oxbridge look at A*s as a proportion, like a percentage (so I would have got about 78%), or as a number?

I asked my teacher where I rated in my year and he said that I was probably in the top 2 or 3 (our year has about 30 pupils) which I guess is good as I heard Oxbridge look at your results relative to the class?

You seem to know what you're talking about so if you have any advice I'd be really thankful!

Thanks in advance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (677)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads