Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    There are so many more important things than waging a so-called war on an enemy we have a very difficult time identifiying.
    There is nothing more important than national security.

For a start, Bush will NEVER eliminate terrorism.
    He has already admitted as much, I believe that he recognises this.

So long as people don't like something, they will rebel, and if they really don't like it, they'll take forceful action. There's no way you can make everybody happy. He just cannot win, I don't understand what he's trying to achieve... to strike fear into the hearts of terrorists?
    In the long term, he is trying to remove or minimise the reason they rebel. In the short term, combat and eliminate those who wish to strike the United States.

I'm not saying terrorism isn't a concern, of course it is. Nobody wants innocent people to be killed! But there are other important things besides engaging in military conflict....
    if that military conflict is the purpose of national security, and most leaders, including Bush, resort to armed combat as a last resort, then there IS NO OTHER more important issue.

it's almost like Bush will get bored or something if he doesn't have anything to do with his armed forces.
    are you aware of the platform that George Bush was elected on? what military operations has George Bush carried out that a) werent related to the 9/11 attacks b) werent Senate policy prior to his coming into office?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)

He has already admitted as much, I believe that he recognises this.

In the long term, he is trying to remove or minimise the reason they rebel. In the short term, combat and eliminate those who wish to strike the United States.

if that military conflict is the purpose of national security, and most leaders, including Bush, resort to armed combat as a last resort, then there IS NO OTHER more important issue.

are you aware of the platform that George Bush was elected on? what military operations has George Bush carried out that a) werent related to the 9/11 attacks b) werent Senate policy prior to his coming into office?
    Do you have a Dubbya poster hanging on your wall? You love the guy :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    Do you have a Dubbya poster hanging on your wall? You love the guy :rolleyes:
    what did my post have to do specifically with George W Bush?

ReputationRep:

How about promoting alternate energy on a mass scale? How about reducing emissions and deforestation? What's the point in making the world safe of terrorists (even though I don't believe that can ever be achieved) if nature itself has been devastated?

I have tremendous doubts on whether the whole Iraq ordeal was really to do with national security at all

First of all I'm aware that bush was "elected" on a platform of chaos and confusion. Following the 9/11 attacks, Bush decided to turn his attention back to Iraq ... which of course was a major focus of "daddy's" foreign policy. It's not just Bush I dislike, it's the Republican Party in general. I really don't know what the reason to go into Iraq was for the second time... there were no weapons of mass distruction anyway were there?

ReputationRep:
    First of all I'm aware that bush was "elected" on a platform of chaos and confusion.
    or education and tax reform.

Following the 9/11 attacks, Bush decided to turn his attention back to Iraq ... which of course was a major focus of "daddy's" foreign policy.
    and Clinton's and the Senate's

It's not just Bush I dislike, it's the Republican Party in general.
    for what reasons?

I really don't know what the reason to go into Iraq was for the second time... there were no weapons of mass distruction anyway were there?
    If you knew that before why didnt you tell the Prime Minister?

ReputationRep:
    and Clinton's and the Senate's

for what reasons?

If you knew that before why didnt you tell the Prime Minister?
    1. Clinton never went into a formal, all-out war based on shady information.

2. Because I'm more left wing than right.

3. I didn't know that before, but I'm sure Mr. Blair did.

ReputationRep:
    what did my post have to do specifically with George W Bush?
    They all refer (directly or otherwise) to Bush, except the first one.

ReputationRep:
    Bush is using National security to win the next election. If anyone has followed the republican convention in new york, nothing but talk about security, on the last day of the convention, bush made all kinds of promises that he seem to have trouble commiting to in the 1st election

Bush is the second president in U.S. history to have jobs lost in his term

the countries dept has rose in his term

terrorism has rised in his term

he has made relations with the EU go sour

his war in Iraq, will be lost unless dramatic changes are made

his war on terror in afganistan is failing from lack of security

who can forget the prison in Iraq and cuba and the human rights abuses commited

looking at america now, the country is less of a democracy then it was 20 years ago. The media is controlled more, peoples rights have been reduced for "security"

Bush will probably win the next election, the american people are blinded by his whole case for security, since its a number one priority for the people of america. The american people would rather see jobs lost, rights taken away, just to be safe.

ReputationRep:
    i also like to point out that bush plays the media very well. He makes the media become his propeganda for example

I remember him making a speech about how saddam celebrated 9/11, and how he embraced this move made by terrorists

A year later, a poll done and 50% of the american people thought saddam had links with osama binladen

just using the word, terrorists and saddam, made the american people believe this. He has done similar speeches on many occasions.

Its a clever idea. who would think the american people would be so stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    i also like to point out that bush plays the media very well. He makes the media become his propeganda for example

I remember him making a speech about how saddam celebrated 9/11, and how he embraced this move made by terrorists

A year later, a poll done and 50% of the american people thought saddam had links with osama binladen

just using the word, terrorists and saddam, made the american people believe this. He has done similar speeches on many occasions.
    Had Suddam hussain ever carried out an act of aggression again the USA? I could have sworn that he and Bin larden actually dislike each other.

ReputationRep:
    bush is only a dumb puppet who only got into the white house with empty promises and the backing of big corporations.

cheney is the true evil one. In fact most of the administration's key figures are shady, except for Powell who should run for President in 08.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Had Suddam hussain ever carried out an act of aggression again the USA? I could have sworn that he and Bin larden actually dislike each other.
    the links between Saddam and Al-Qaeda are well documented and well reported. any accusation of falsification should be laid at the door of the bipartisan commission that reported to congress and not the office of George Bush.

ReputationRep:
    Bush is using National security to win the next election.
    it is the most important issue for any nation, i fully understand the importance placed on it in this respect.

If anyone has followed the republican convention in new york, nothing but talk about security, on the last day of the convention, bush made all kinds of promises that he seem to have trouble commiting to in the 1st election
    promises that he didnt make in the first election. he did commit to tax reform, that was executed as promised. he did commit to a broad education policy that was executed as promised.

Bush is the second president in U.S. history to have jobs lost in his term
    unemployment is comparably low, matches that of Clinton at the time of his reelection campaign, and job creation has been consistent.

Bush is the first president in US history to suffer a terrorist of this magnitude, or did you just conveniently forget?

the countries dept has rose in his term
    the what?

terrorism has rised in his term
    against the US? no. and even if it had done, its hardly related to his policies. i

he has made relations with the EU go sour
    i) were they cordial? ii) it takes two to tango iii) France and Germany does not equal Europe. iv) is this a reelection commitment?

his war in Iraq, will be lost unless dramatic changes are made
    it has already been won, the country has the most progressive piece of legislation in place throughout the arab world, free and open elections and a democratic political system. what exactly will he lose?

his war on terror in afganistan is failing from lack of security
    already been won. any security issues are against and a matter for the democratic Afghani government.

who can forget the prison in Iraq and cuba and the human rights abuses commited
    noone, not least Bush, who called for the minority few to be tried and punished appropriately.

looking at america now, the country is less of a democracy then it was 20 years ago. The media is controlled more, peoples rights have been reduced for "security"
    elaborate.

Bush will probably win the next election, the american people are blinded by his whole case for security, since its a number one priority for the people of america. The american people would rather see jobs lost, rights taken away, just to be safe.
    sensible people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zymosan2004)
    bush is only a dumb puppet who only got into the white house with empty promises and the backing of big corporations.
    which empty promises?
    the two key election commitments have been achieved.
    the democrat party receives far more finance from the corporate sector than the GOP.

cheney is the true evil one. In fact most of the administration's key figures are shady, except for Powell who should run for President in 08.
    hehe

ReputationRep:

Its a clever idea. who would think the american people would be so stupid.
    Although i dislike bush, i am a bit tired of reading your posts, you make youeself sound like the only person in the world who has the right opinion, and everyone else is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Although i dislike bush, i am a bit tired of reading your posts, you make youeself sound like the only person in the world who has the right opinion, and everyone else is wrong.
    *chokes in surprise*

ReputationRep:
    *chokes in surprise*
    I can see how a line like "Its a clever idea. who would think the american people would be so stupid" would be offensive to republicans and democrats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I can see how a line like "Its a clever idea. who would think the american people would be so stupid" would be offensive to republicans and democrats.
    without doubt.

ReputationRep:
    the links between Saddam and Al-Qaeda are well documented and well reported. any accusation of falsification should be laid at the door of the bipartisan commission that reported to congress and not the office of George Bush.
    Links between Al-Qaeda and Saddam? VP Cheney mentioned that several times, but never came up with any conclusive proof. Where did you find your information?

ReputationRep:
    How about promoting alternate energy on a mass scale? How about reducing emissions and deforestation? What's the point in making the world safe of terrorists (even though I don't believe that can ever be achieved) if nature itself has been devastated?
    Agreed check this out for more information http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1294449,00.html. Agreed nature is being destroyed by many more than just the US however the US is the biggest culprit and should therefore lead by examply instead of putting in place *******s legislation which suits the oil companies.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.