Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    yeah It's pretty close to CH, once I was walking down there and was almost wetting myself.It's so scary ....
    My dad wanted to move there too to a new housing estate they were building, its a good job we didn't as that house would have been worth 1/5 of what ours is worth now.

It seems every year South Manchester gets richer and North Manchester gets worse. There is certainly a lot less scallies living near me than they were 5 years ago. Its all the students who decide to stay on Manchester who are buying the houses.

North Manchester has always been slightly rougher though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    My dad wanted to move there too to a new housing estate they were building, its a good job we didn't as that house would have been worth 1/5 of what ours is worth now.

It seems every year South Manchester gets richer and North Manchester gets worse. There is certainly a lot less scallies living near me than they were 5 years ago. Its all the students who decide to stay on Manchester who are buying the houses.

North Manchester has always been slightly rougher though.
    My mum's aunts live in Eccles and another in Moston..I can't understand why they didnt sell their houses 30-40 years ago....

ReputationRep:
    Hulme a dangerous area? Hulme as in where Hulme Hall & Burkhardt House are? There I was thinking I'd found a nice, quiety, leafy area to move to.. Hmm..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusieQ)
    Hulme a dangerous area? Hulme as in where Hulme Hall & Burkhardt House are? There I was thinking I'd found a nice, quiety, leafy area to move to.. Hmm..
    no, hulme hall and burkhart house are just at the start of rusholme and near the victoria park area, they are not in actual hulme itself. it's not very dangerous. and there are lots of leaves on one side. and restaurants on the other.

ReputationRep:
    Hulme is not really dangerous now anyway, especialy not compared to places like Moston or parts of Newton Heath.

ReputationRep:
    This thread smacks of people who exist in a Home Counties bubble.

Getting out onto the streets of Manchester (or any large city in the UK, for that matter) may open yours eyes. Not everybody out there intends to rob you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    A really nice and little known small area on the edge of Mapperley park ruined only by the fact the local school is Elliot Durham! The again, it's only a few minutes from all the gun crime so maybe I am overestimating it! Having said that, I went away for a few days and left my (non-central locking) car unlocked on the passenger (and in this case, pavement facing) side, nobody touched it
    ooh... I was sat in my car just around the corner from the Mapperley Inn or whatever it's called listening to the fact it was being held up on Trent FM.

hmm... also discovered the Cheesecake Shop in Mapperley - fantastic place!!!

the things you learn on a psychi rotation based at the Wells, and Thorneywood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobb_theprequel)
    This thread smacks of people who exist in a Home Counties bubble.

Getting out onto the streets of Manchester (or any large city in the UK, for that matter) may open yours eyes. Not everybody out there intends to rob you.
    i think its only natural, if not right, that people from the home counties bubble would be concerned. as i said, i was brought up in the hood so manchester didnt really scare me at all, but if you're from a village where teh biggest crime is the rich people fiddling their taxes i dont blame someone for believing the hype about inner-city violence. it just takes people to tell them the truth, which most people replying to this thread who have spent time in manchester have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessa)
    i think its only natural, if not right, that people from the home counties bubble would be concerned. as i said, i was brought up in the hood so manchester didnt really scare me at all, but if you're from a village where teh biggest crime is the rich people fiddling their taxes i dont blame someone for believing the hype about inner-city violence. it just takes people to tell them the truth, which most people replying to this thread who have spent time in manchester have done.
    Some of the things they think happen in Manchester make you laugh though. I have a mate from Norfolk and he is always taking the p*ss out of southerners who are scared of Manchester. Like London there really isn't anything to be scared off.

Just keep away from the rough council esates but you will be doing that anyway as you will have no need to venture into these places. I also read some where that Manchester City centre is now the safest city centre in the UK because all the CCTV cameras (the most advanced in Europe). I certainly feel very safe there ast 2:00am.

I think people should be more worried about all thettaffic pollution you will be breathing in down Oxford Road

ReputationRep:
    Was just curious. One way or the other I rely on common sense going around Manchester just like going around in any other city so I'm not too bothered. My sense of direction does suck though so I'll be getting lost, but that's a whole different story that one.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be pretty safe if you just use a bit of common sense; if you walk round an area you don't know in the middle of the night and use your mobile to ask for directions and also talk about your course at university in the next sentence, you are going to make yourself a target.

As a born and bred Mancunian, the only trouble I've ever had in Manchester has been on the bus home from school; I went to Manchester Grammar, which has a distinctive uniform and is full of kids who won't stand up for themselves, so we used to get a fair number of muggings, normally by people from other schools in the area.

I would reiterate amazingtrade's view that Manchester is very safe; I've never had any problems on any nights out there and the only time I've seen trouble is after certain football fixtures; again though, I think a lot of it comes down to common sense. If you go out shooting your mouth off, walking into people and so on, you're more likely to get hassle.

A lot of the areas that have been mentioned you will probably never visit as a student, certainly the places in the north of the city such as Moston and Newton Heath. You will tend to stick to the city centre, Oxford Road, Fallowfield and Didsbury; all of these areas are pretty safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marchie)
    I've seen trouble is after certain football fixtures.
    I'd never seen more police in one place before than the number in the city centre when Man U played Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    I'd never seen more police in one place before than the number in the city centre when Man U played Liverpool.
    Wasn't that the intended target for an Al-Qaeda suicide bomb IIRC?

ReputationRep:
    I think the football violence is less of a problem than it used to be anyway; like you say, the police presence is normally significant, especially around the places you are likely to get trouble in. The Weatherspoons places are an example of this, however they tend to have a police surveillance van parked outside and they have been known to operate a ridiculous entry policy if they get word that there will be trouble; the last time I tried to get in there after a game, my friend and I were turned away because it was 'couples only'. Our effort to then pretend that we were in fact a couple was in vain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobb_theprequel)
    Wasn't that the intended target for an Al-Qaeda suicide bomb IIRC?
    I think all the people arrested in connection with that one were later released without charge, but you are right.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Manchester's roughest areas are in the North of the city. Newton Heath, Collyhurst, Moston, Miles Plattin etc... Ashton is reasonabley rough too. Anyway its very doubtful you'll ever get to those places.

The worst student area is probably Moss Side. I want to point out that i've lived in Manchester all my life and I know it isnt that bad... I've only ever had any trouble once when some guy tried to beat me up for no reason as I was walking from 5th Av. to Piccadilly train station.

Generally you'll be safe in your student areas, just don't walk the streets alone in the early hours and if you see a group of scallies wearing nike caps and the trousers tucked into their socks, avoid them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I also read some where that Manchester City centre is now the safest city centre in the UK because all the CCTV cameras (the most advanced in Europe).
    I read that it was Belfast last week, but crime statistics are a load of bull anyway.

I wouldn't get too cocky, though, teenage boys are the most lightly to be victims of crime due to their assertiveness, so don't start fighting with muggers or owt .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheChetah)
    I read that it was Belfast last week, but crime statistics are a load of bull anyway.

I wouldn't get too cocky, though, teenage boys are the most lightly to be victims of crime due to their assertiveness, so don't start fighting with muggers or owt .
    Lol its a good job I am few years off being a teeanger then

I have heared a lot of people on this thread saying Ashton was rough, I wouldn't have really though it was but then I have only been once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheChetah)

Where abouts was it? I always avoid the station area at night but then if I go to 5th Ave I only have to walk down to Oxford Road to catch my bus back home.

ReputationRep:
    Ashton is only really bad at night times cos all the shirts go to all the townie clubs.... when you look slightly alternative all the scallies go for you, saying that though ive walked through ashton many times after a night at the witchwood and ive never had any trouble.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.