How much more expensive to study in London realistically? (Medicine) Watch

Amelia2163
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys,

I'm going to be applying for medicine this October for 2018 entry, and I'm struggling to finalise my decisions on where I'm applying to. I know two Uni's which I'm definitely going to go for, but I'm struggling to narrow down the last two. I really enjoyed King's (London) but the cost of the accommodation and living in London is putting me off. Is it really so much more expensive than say, Newcastle? Is there anyone who studies in London/ is planning on it that has any advice?

Thanks.
Basiil17
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Amelia2163)
Hi guys,

I'm going to be applying for medicine this October for 2018 entry, and I'm struggling to finalise my decisions on where I'm applying to. I know two Uni's which I'm definitely going to go for, but I'm struggling to narrow down the last two. I really enjoyed King's (London) but the cost of the accommodation and living in London is putting me off. Is it really so much more expensive than say, Newcastle? Is there anyone who studies in London/ is planning on it that has any advice?

Thanks.
Obviously remember you get some more maintenance loan from studying in London, and obviously what I'd say is don't go for the expensive accommodation, but you may be able to find cheaper accommodation further out, but commuting costs, and some of the cost is just London.
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Personally if I was studying again I would want there to be as little time and distance between uni, hospital and my accommodation as possible. That is much harder to achieve in London.

London isn't for everyone, but only you know yourself best. Would you prefer to live in London or a smaller city? What else do you want from university?
gradmed305
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not studying medicine in London but I'm studying another degree at UCL. London is different for everyone. You'll either love it, be able to cope, or hate it. You get more money but obviously accommodation is expensive but if you look around it is possible to get somewhere decent for not too much. Don't compromise travelling distant for rent though. Bad idea.
Graduate_Medic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Amelia2163)
Hi guys,

Thanks.
Uni accommodation can actually be more expensive than what you can find on your own. You can find bargain rents next to places like UCL, KCL etc if you're savvy. Try Gumtree and SpareRoom to find vacant rooms for rent. KCL could send you to one of a few different hospitals around London so some travel will be unavoidable. Having said that, many of my friends cycle and save a fortune because they're not paying for transport.

If you decide to come to London, some tips getting good accommodation: (1) turnover and competition for good/bargain rooms can be a bit insane, so if you see a place and you like it (trust your gut) put down a holding deposit immediately (2) ex council flats are your best chances of bargain rent and don't be put off by how 'rough' the area might look, often it's all fine (3) don't bother looking for a room until 1-2 weeks before your move in date.

Another reason London costs is actually that there's just so much awesome stuff to do, so you have to be disciplined and not get tempted to do nice things and eat nice food all the time.

Hope that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?