The Student Room Group

Good enough for Oxbridge Engineering/Maths ?

I got these results today for the following subjects

Maths: 9
Additional Maths (FSMQ) : A (Highest possible)
English Literature : 6
English Language: 7
History : A*
Geography: A*
French: A*
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics A*
Religious Education: A

I am more than happy with these results its just that the English results are annoying me a bit. If I am considering to do Engineering/Maths/Physics at Uni (especially an oxbridge one), does it really matter if I didn't do so well in English?

This is considering that I do good at A Levels as well of course.
(Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry)

Thanks for your time.
I got very similar results and I too am thinking the same thing. (ooooohhh...look at me bigging myself up XD)
From what I know they should 100% be good enough, the average Oxford student has 7 A*s and the rest As and Bs (which you have).
The thing with GCSEs, is that whilst Oxford look at them, other things can out weigh them. The main reason that many Oxford students have many A*s is that if they are clever enough to get great A level results and PAT score etc. then they would most likely have great GCSEs.
For a rule of thumb I would say that any more that 5 A*s is worth applying as they really take a holistic approach to considering you as a candidate.

Little tip: If you can then great but I would not stress about taking 4 a levels. That is a lot of extra work and Oxford would prefer 3 A*s than 4 As. It is not required to get 3 a levels and this could be a mistake. But hey if you can you can. Up to you. :smile:
Reply 2
Yea I would rather do 3 A Levels as well but I have to do 4 since I am doing Further Maths so if I decide to drop out of it, I would still have 3 A Levels if that makes sense.

Thanks for advice though :smile:
Your gcses don't make a difference to how good you are at maths (and physics for engineering) which is what they care about.
Also yeah take maths, further maths, physics and chemistry but the only one you could afford to drop is chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest