Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oxford Dictionary says that a terrorist is •n. a person who uses violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

How can there be a war on terror per se? And looking at the past couple of days: the Palestinian suicide bomber blew up a bus, the Russian school, the execution of the hostages from Nepal in Iraq one starts to doubt Bush's words about terrorism not belonging to any religion.
    In my mind it most certainly does, and it isn't the opressive vegetarian Hinduism.

ReputationRep:
    It's 1am, please state your accusations better!

ReputationRep:
    Well a war on terror is basically preventing terrorism from happening its not a war against terrorist adding to the violence but its fighting the terrorist so less violence happens.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, there is no one indisputable definition for terrorism. So people tend to change or make up the definition for terrorism along the way to accomodate their own aims.

Secondly, always doubt everything anyone says, especially if it's from W.

Lastly, I think that to a great extend with a lot of coincidences and unfortunate circumstances that terrorism tend to be related to Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigo1)
    Oxford Dictionary says that a terrorist is •n. a person who uses violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
    Therefore war on terror = war on people who use violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

And it's mostly Islam because some idiot gave the impression that wars can be okay when they wrote the Qu'ran.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zymosan2004)
    First of all, there is no one indisputable definition for terrorism. So people tend to change or make up the definition for terrorism along the way to accomodate their own aims.

Secondly, always doubt everything anyone says, especially if it's from W.

Lastly, I think that to a great extend with a lot of coincidences and unfortunate circumstances that terrorism tend to be related to Islam.
    I think this is a rather disingenious semidefinition of terrorism. Islam definitely has no great qualms about imposing its religion by brute force and ruthlessly killing everyone who changes his / her mind about being a muslim. And tho most muslims might well be a decent lot there's lways more than one about who isn`t. Remember how happy & cheery palestinians are when the 'jihad' (a rather islamic term don`t you think, oops, must be a coincindence) blows up a schoolbus?
    My two p

Ian

ReputationRep:
    under that definition USA is a terrorist?

ReputationRep:
    In Australia under the Security Legislation Amendment Act 2002 (cwth) terrorism is constituted as “A political, religious or Ideological cause for the purpose of concerning or influencing by intimidation.” Now, something interesting in this is that any demonstration or Strike by a group or individual which makes others feel unsafe, under this law can technically be convicted of terrorism. Nurses who take strike action over pay disputes and puts a hospital down in productivity or puts the hospital out of action could be accused of endangering public health and charged as terrorists.

bizarre isnt it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh well!! lol! Who cares?? I mean in the big scheme of things what a bus or a building blown up here or there killing a few thousand people a year?? Its soooooooo overhyped its untrue.

Trust me when I say more people are killed a year on Britains roads than are killed by 'terrorism' worldwide a year. I say let them get on with it. Eventually if we ignore them they will give up. Cos hey, we are are not being terrified are we??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    Oh well!! lol! Who cares?? I mean in the big scheme of things what a bus or a building blown up here or there killing a few thousand people a year?? Its soooooooo overhyped its untrue.

Trust me when I say more people are killed a year on Britains roads than are killed by 'terrorism' worldwide a year. I say let them get on with it. Eventually if we ignore them they will give up. Cos hey, we are are not being terrified are we??
    and you live in Surrey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    under that definition USA is a terrorist?
    hence the old phrase... "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter..."

it all depends on the perspective :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.