The Student Room Group

I genuinely think this years GCSE English grades are VERY incorrect

Hello fellow students,I am one of many students who were predicted 7/8 in english language and lit, only to today recieve a 5. I have always performed well in English and it has always been a strong subject of mine, I feel like I did really well on all 4 exams, structuring answers correctly and using many quotes where appropriate. I have always got 7s and 8s in mocks sometimes close 9s. There are a lot of students also like me today who have been given as low as a 3 who were predicted 7s. On the other hand theres students who were predicted 2s and 3s, however (no disrespect intended) have recieved 7s, 8s and even 9s. Could the grades have been handled wrongly this year?

Scroll to see replies

Stop complaining about every minute detail and just accept the fact you're mediocre at English.
Ask for a remark. Even though this is GCSEs, the markers can be very opinionated in English Lit and Language.
Yea me to I bet it was the examiner was in a bad mood and they were strict with marking I should of got an 7 but I got grade 5 in both English lit and Lang wtf !!! Its not fair
Original post by Ninagabriella
Yea me to I bet it was the examiner was in a bad mood and they were strict with marking I should of got an 7 but I got grade 5 in both English lit and Lang wtf !!! Its not fair

I'll refer you to the post I've already made in here, number 3.
Original post by Grassflow
I'll refer you to the post I've already made in here, number 3.

I stilll don't think it's fair I deserve a grade 7
Reply 6
Original post by Grassflow
Taking into account the very poor way you have written this, you're not as good at English as you think you are. You're missing capital letters, punctuation, etc. and your writing does not flow well at all. Even if the grades were handled wrongly (which they weren't), there's nothing you can do about it anyway.

Well I'm currently typing from my phone. Is there a need for good grammar here? :/
Reply 7
Original post by MoMo_01
Hello fellow students,I am one of many students who were predicted 7/8 in english language and lit, only to today recieve a 5. I have always performed well in English and it has always been a strong subject of mine, I feel like I did really well on all 4 exams, structuring answers correctly and using many quotes where appropriate. I have always got 7s and 8s in mocks sometimes close 9s. There are a lot of students also like me today who have been given as low as a 3 who were predicted 7s. On the other hand theres students who were predicted 2s and 3s, however (no disrespect intended) have recieved 7s, 8s and even 9s. Could the grades have been handled wrongly this year?

Welcome to the grade 5 club. :hifro:
Reply 8
ignore the pessimists above! it is extremely possible especially in English, i was reading an article yesterday that stated GCSE English grades this year would not give an accurate representation of a childs ability. Sometimes you just have to trust your paper, i would say send it for a remark! what exam board did you have? typically its AQA who make mistakes like this.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Aakn
ignore the pessimist above! it is extremely possible especially in English, i was reading an article yesterday that stated GCSE English grades this year would not give an accurate representation of a childs ability. Sometimes you just have to trust your paper, i would say send it for a remark! what exam board did you have? typically its AQA who make mistakes like this.

Yep AQA

Are you sure about that? No offence but it's actually "should have" or "should've" but never "should of". You're welcome.
Highly doubt it. Maybe you got slightly lower marks because of different examiner's opinions, but it wouldn't massively affect your overall grade.
Reply 12
Original post by MoMo_01
Well I'm currently typing from my phone. Is there a need for good grammar here? :/

I mean you're here claiming that you deserve an A in English when your style of writing is equivalent to a C grade, so I mean you're not very convincing to be honest.
I stilll don't think it's fair I deserve a grade 7

Not to be a d*ckhead but I got a 7 because I earned it and you didnt. Stop complaining. Mocks mean literally nothing, I got a 6 in my maths mock and then got a 9 in the actual exam. (unless you are being sarcastic)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by for_real_though
Are you sure about that? No offence but it's actually "should have" or "should've" but never "should of". You're welcome.

Original post by Aklaol
I mean you're here claiming that you deserve an A in English when your style of writing is equivalent to a C grade, so I mean you're not very convincing to be honest.

Exactly, these people are completely ignorant as to why they didn't get higher grades, it's because of things like this. It's English, these things make up a big portion of how marks are allocated!
Original post by MoMo_01

If you arent happy then get proper remarks and you can get your scripts back as well.
Reply 16
Original post by Aklaol

As said above, I'm currently outside and typing from a phone. If you text people you probably also rush and don't care about grammar, I wanted some feedback from students in a similar situation not pessimistic people as yourself.
Reply 17
No matter how hard the exams are the same proportion of students always get high grades.
Eg. in 2016 ite top 10% of students for an exam got an a*
in 2017 if the exams are harder, or the examiners are more strict, the top 10% of students still get an A*.

In mocks people are easily misled as you're not being ranked according to your position in the percentile, youre just against a raw mark. Most of the time you spend the weeks prior learning how to specifically answer those questions. So naturally you always get a high mark. Teachers tend to be more lenient sometimes too since it makes their class look good upon their own reviews.

If you think you've been marked unfairly, then sure try a remark. However, if the mark doesn't improve then take the above into consideration in future mock exams.
Y
Original post by MoMo_01
As said above, I'm currently outside and typing from a phone. If you text people you probably also rush and don't care about grammar, I wanted some feedback from students in a similar situation not pessimistic people as yourself.
Reply 19
Original post by MoMo_01

We aren't your friends, family or acquaintances. You're appealing to a random group of individuals about your English GCSE grade, therefore I think it's fair enough for us to expect your appeal to be somewhat formal, especially considering the subject you're appealing.

Quick Reply

Latest