The Student Room Group

I genuinely think this years GCSE English grades are VERY incorrect

Scroll to see replies

@She-Ra Please help me I got a 4 in English Language and I normally get 9s. I honestly think Aqa made a mistake and I can't get my marks or see my papers because the exam officer said the Head Of English had it and she is on holiday.
Reply 41
I've heard a lot of people say that they got lower grades in English than expected, and I can't help but think that the problem may lie in the way the reforms to GCSEs were implemented, i.e. that a lack of available information and material setting out what the exam board were looking for may have lead teachers to teach their students to answer questions in a style which didn't meet the exam board's requirements, and therefore resulted in students getting lower marks as they weren't able to jump through all the necessary hoops. That's just a theory, though - I did my GCSEs two years ago, so I have no actual experience of the new system.
Original post by Grassflow
American English uses the comma, British English does not. https://www.editage.com/insights/research-paper-comma-after-etc-at-the-end-of-a-sentence

I just said you're right so why are you justifying yourself? :redface:
Original post by freshprincee
I just said you're right so why are you justifying yourself? :redface:

You said 'he's' when you posted, so I thought you were saying the other poster was right and not me.
Original post by MoMo_01
Could the grades have been handled wrongly this year?

No. You just didn't do as well as you hoped you would. That's not evidence for some broken system. Working at a certain level in internal school test etc does not always translate into the same mark under examination conditions.
(edited 6 years ago)
I got 4/5s in the mocks but ended up gettings 7s in both my english. hard work pays off
Original post by Reality Check
No. You just didn't do as well as you hoped you would. That's not evidence for some broken system. Working at a certain level in internal school test etc does not always translate into the same mark under examination conditions.

I want to see my papers. It is highly likely they never marked a section because i normally get 9s and i got a 4 today. What should i do my school is on holiday.
Just my experience but I thought I smashed English literature out of the park and did bad in English language, but I got an 8 for language and 6 for literature. I'm gonna find out what my literature mark is because I'm just curious and want to see if I'm near the 7 boundary, but that literature grade was lower than I expected. (Can't complain though as I wasn't expecting an 8 for language and I really don't like English anyway).
Original post by The RAR
I don't know why so many people are behaving like grammar nazis in here, back to the point yes I agree with the OP entirely, I too worked my ass off for English, did past paper questions, checked it with my teacher to make sure the answers were high standard and did it again with the improvements, I too kept on getting 7s throughout the whole year in English by doing this and me getting a 4 today was totally unacceptable, not surprised since a lot of students are estimated to get the wring grades under the new system, I am unfortunately one of the victims of ruthless marking. Yes it will be best to get a remark which is what I am gonna do tho I hate the fact I need to use my own money.

Honestly I don't think you can put 'ruthless marking' at fault, it was clear that the difficulty of the new spec exams was set to rise and therefore it's likely that either your teaching or individual study just wasn't up to scratch. It's not fair to the people who worked hard to achieve these grades to say that you deserve a certain grade although everyone was under the same markscheme and spec. I think it's good that you're getting a remark and I wish you the best of luck when you do, but all I'm saying is don't expect too drastic a change as apart from opinions of the examiner, not much can go wrong when they mark so grades aren't incredibly prone to change. Just remember that teachers can easily over mark and misinterpret the specification slightly, so don't take past results as fact in every situation.
Reply 49
Original post by MoMo_01
Hello fellow students,I am one of many students who were predicted 7/8 in english language and lit, only to today recieve a 5. I have always performed well in English and it has always been a strong subject of mine, I feel like I did really well on all 4 exams, structuring answers correctly and using many quotes where appropriate. I have always got 7s and 8s in mocks sometimes close 9s. There are a lot of students also like me today who have been given as low as a 3 who were predicted 7s. On the other hand theres students who were predicted 2s and 3s, however (no disrespect intended) have recieved 7s, 8s and even 9s. Could the grades have been handled wrongly this year?

I agree with you!!
Same thing happened with AS!!!
I and My classmates can't believe it. Looks like nobody getting into Russell group this time!!!!!

It's been a week and I'm still in shock.
Reply 50
Original post by lionike123
I want to see my papers. It is highly likely they never marked a section because i normally get 9s and i got a 4 today. What should i do my school is on holiday.

There must be someone there , because if you want priority photocopy if your papers you have to order them straight away
Original post by lionike123

It's actually highly unlikely that they 'didn't mark a section'. I'm an examiner - it's pretty much impossible for this to happen.

I'm sorry, but I think you need to accept the fact you weren't as good as you hoped you were and move on.
Original post by Marrri
There must be someone there , because if you want priority photocopy if your papers you have to order them straight away

There is no one its too late. Forget it what is life anymore. IM commiting suicide.
Reply 53
Original post by Grassflow
Taking into account the very poor way you have written this, you're not as good at English as you think you are. You're missing capital letters, punctuation, etc. and your writing does not flow well at all. Even if the grades were handled wrongly (which they weren't), there's nothing you can do about it anyway.

I think they were because they gave me a 7 and an 8
Original post by thahmid
I think they were because they gave me a 7 and an 8

The 2 English GCSEs are completely different and independent subjects, therefore they are marked independently of each other and you can receive a different grade for each one. That's not a mistake at all, it's how it's always been even before the new grading system.
Original post by Cabbage_Man
All of these people saying 'I DESERVE x grade' or 'I got a lower grade so something MUST be wrong that is out of my control' are incredibly grating. I was predicted a 5 yet came out with a 7 because I put the work in to make it happen. Obviously, you didn't work as hard as you could've. Stop blaming others and reflect upon yourselves.

It's called self-entitlement.
Reply 56
English marking seems like a joke tbh. So many tales of ridiculous changes after remarks.
Reply 57
My sister got two nines in English and I got a nine in language and an eight in literature, which I view as completely miraculous as we were not taught the 9-1 course for English language due to the fact that my school did early entry last year because they knew that the coursework would be advantageous. Also, we were both only viewed as average in our classes and were predicted sevens but English is notoriously subjective, grades can quite easily rise and fall a little on the day of the exam. Clearly, the new system did not work to your favour in the way in which it did for the vast majority of my friends and I. I purely blame the low grade boundaries for my "success" and they also explain the fact that I also got an eight in maths, which was my worst subject and I was just hoping for a six. There's obviously no harm in suggesting a remark unless you genuinely believe that your mark may be lowered rather than raised but it may just become clear that your teacher was a lenient marker.
Reply 58
From what I've seen people either got a high grade or low. Like few people in the grade 6 zone. Anyways, I'm not complaining as I got a 9 haha. But ultimately as long as you passed it doesn't matter too much :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
It's actually highly unlikely that they 'didn't mark a section'. I'm an examiner - it's pretty much impossible for this to happen.

I'm sorry, but I think you need to accept the fact you weren't as good as you hoped you were and move on.

You never know, examiners have thousands of papers to mark so they just rush through the papers, there is a good chance they would have missed marking a section.

Quick Reply

Latest