The Student Room Group

With a lot of people achieving high grades, are they even worth anything?

Lots of people are getting straight As. So they're not particularly special. Employees won't be impressed because they've already seen so many candidates with good grades. Is it even worth it? Will it not matter much if you just get average GCSE grades? Or will it turn the opposite. Amazing results will become standard - if you don't get outstanding results, you're not even considered?? Which one will happen?
Reply 1
I don't think employers give a damn about how many A*s you have at GCSE. Pass English and Maths (and preferably Science I guess), hit the standard 5 A*-C (well, this could be say 3 7s a B and a C now but you get what I mean), and it's all good.
I think reading TSR has skewed your view of the grades people get. The people getting straight As are more likely to post about it than the people who unfortunately didn't do so well. Exam boundaries change every year to adjust for difficulty of individual exams and ensure that, for the most part, the proportion of people getting top grades remains fairly standard.

The truth is that the people who get the highest grades will most likely complete A levels and (potentially multiple) university degrees. When you have all of that under your belt, GCSEs really do not matter. Passes in English and maths are the only benchmark that employers who look at GCSEs tend to use.

Quick Reply

Latest