the one 123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
im going to go to year 11 and i want good grade for maths but the thing is im set 3 and maybe doing foundation and maybe doing higher but its up to me please help me to revise i dont know what to do how can i practice. any websites
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
BBC Bitesize is good for a lot of revision, it's divided by key stages, levels and GCSE, so you can work through the theory and then do self tests.

Everyone I've spoken to recommend the CGP guides.

I'm doing the GCSE this coming academic year so it's going to fun finding out what works.
the one 123
Rep:
?
oh ok thank you
0zzu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have a look at this for revision:
http://m4ths.com/uploads/3/5/2/1/352..._free_copy.pdf

If you put the work in, you can achieve a grade 9. Don't put any limits on yourself, and don't let the fact that you're in set 3 put you down.
the one 123
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0zzu)
Have a look at this for revision:
http://m4ths.com/uploads/3/5/2/1/352..._free_copy.pdf

If you put the work in, you can achieve a grade 9. Don't put any limits on yourself, and don't let the fact that you're in set 3 put you down.
thanks, you motivated me to study harder, by the way, is this everything I need to get a 9
0zzu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by the one 123)
thanks, you motivated me to study harder, by the way, is this everything I need to get a 9
If you learn all the topics listed in there, then yes, but this is just a revision guide type thing to check over before exams and stuff. The whole website (m4ths.com) has lots of great materials. I think it's best if you tell your maths teacher you want to take a more active role in your maths GCSE, and to ask them for advice, extra sessions, study materials etc.

But if you're gonna get a good grade, you need to keep that motivation up for the rest of the year. When you study, take frequent 5 minute breaks and be very strict when it comes to distractions. If you're in a study session and your friend messages you, or you want to check something online, then write it down on a piece of paper and do it later.
the one 123
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0zzu)
If you learn all the topics listed in there, then yes, but this is just a revision guide type thing to check over before exams and stuff. The whole website (m4ths.com) has lots of great materials. I think it's best if you tell your maths teacher you want to take a more active role in your maths GCSE, and to ask them for advice, extra sessions, study materials etc.

But if you're gonna get a good grade, you need to keep that motivation up for the rest of the year. When you study, take frequent 5 minute breaks and be very strict when it comes to distractions. If you're in a study session and your friend messages you, or you want to check something online, then write it down on a piece of paper and do it later.
thank you very much but the website m4ths has questions but no answers to check
peeked
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Okay I am in year 10 and going into year 11 next year. I don't want to brag but I'm going to say how I'm doing in maths first. I got 192/240 in my mocks (AQA higher), and looking at this years ground boundaries for maths a 9 is 189/240 so I would've got a 9. I do pretty well in maths at school as well so I'm going to explain how you can get better at maths.

1. Get the right stuff
Get a revison guide - I have a CGP one, idk your exam board but here are the books I have (AQA):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-GCSE-Ma...ords=cgp+maths
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Maths-...+exam+practice
There is 2 here the CGP revison guide and the exam practice which is amazing. I you really want a 9 get the 'CGP: Grade 9 Targeted Exam Practice' book as well (which I have).
I'd also reccommend CGP MathsBuster (which is a dvd, it's like mathswatch) and mathswatch if you're school has it.

2. Now you have some pretty niceeee gear. You need to use the books. I would photocopy the contents and then tick off everything you do, so each day do a topic for instance then do some exam practice on it. The thing with maths is you need to understand the topic fully - which may take a while then do a TONNE of exam practice like loads of exam practice.

Corbett Maths has lots of practice and so does Maths Genie:
http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html
https://corbettmaths.com/

If you do you everthing I've told you to do you will get top grades, remember exam practice is key. First learn the topic then just do lots of exam practice. Ask maths teacher for help at lunchtimes etc. if you get stuck, you might not want to do it but you'll thank yourself in the long run.

gl
the one 123
Rep:
?
(Original post by peeked)
Okay I am in year 10 and going into year 11 next year. I don't want to brag but I'm going to say how I'm doing in maths first. I got 192/240 in my mocks (AQA higher), and looking at this years ground boundaries for maths a 9 is 189/240 so I would've got a 9. I do pretty well in maths at school as well so I'm going to explain how you can get better at maths.

1. Get the right stuff
Get a revison guide - I have a CGP one, idk your exam board but here are the books I have (AQA):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-GCSE-Ma...ords=cgp+maths
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Maths-...+exam+practice
There is 2 here the CGP revison guide and the exam practice which is amazing. I you really want a 9 get the 'CGP: Grade 9 Targeted Exam Practice' book as well (which I have).
I'd also reccommend CGP MathsBuster (which is a dvd, it's like mathswatch) and mathswatch if you're school has it.

2. Now you have some pretty niceeee gear. You need to use the books. I would photocopy the contents and then tick off everything you do, so each day do a topic for instance then do some exam practice on it. The thing with maths is you need to understand the topic fully - which may take a while then do a TONNE of exam practice like loads of exam practice.

Corbett Maths has lots of practice and so does Maths Genie:
http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html
https://corbettmaths.com/

If you do you everthing I've told you to do you will get top grades, remember exam practice is key. First learn the topic then just do lots of exam practice. Ask maths teacher for help at lunchtimes etc. if you get stuck, you might not want to do it but you'll thank yourself in the long run.

gl
Thank you very much, i appreciate your help,by the way should i get the foundation maths buster or higher
number0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Person at my school in set 4 just got an A* yesterday in maths, the set means nothing, just how hard you work.
peeked
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you very much, i appreciate your help,by the way should i get the foundation maths buster or higher
Which one are you doing, if you are doing Higher at school then get Higher, if you do Foundation then get foundation.
Which one are you doing at school, what exam will you have?

If you have a choice at school (whether you want to do higher or foundation) then remember you can't get higher than a 5 with foundation if you feel able I think you should go for the higher, if you think you be able to because then you can get 6,7,8,9.
the one 123
Rep:
?
Which one are you doing, if you are doing Higher at school then get Higher, if you do Foundation then get foundation.
Which one are you doing at school, what exam will you have?

If you have a choice at school (whether you want to do higher or foundation) then remember you can't get higher than a 5 with foundation if you feel able I think you should go for the higher, if you think you be able to because then you can get 6,7,8,9.
in set im set 3 out of 6 so i have a choice but i need to prove them that i could do it,I'm doing Edexcel
peeked
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
in set im set 3 out of 6 so i have a choice but i need to prove them that i could do it
Ah I see, well man that's your choice, I don't know your ability you need to make that choice, if you can do it Higher is much better as you can get much better grades. Imo I would go higher but idk how good you are.
the one 123
Rep:
?
Ah I see, well man that's your choice, I don't know your ability you need to make that choice, if you can do it Higher is much better as you can get much better grades. Imo I would go higher but idk how good you are.
the new spec is hard when I look at the higher tier I just get stomach aches,like first couple question are easy then after that its looks soo scary,in my mock i done higher and everyone around me looked shocked
peeked
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
the new spec is hard when I look at the higher tier I just get stomach aches,like first couple question are easy then after that its looks soo scary,in my mock i done higher and everyone around me looked shocked
What did you get in more mock and what exam board are you?
the one 123
Rep:
?
What did you get in more mock and what exam board are you?
45/160 and Edexcel
TomSR
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got a 9 (229/240) with Edexcel and honestly the main way to revise for maths is grinding through lots of past papers. However, you will get the best out of them if you understand the concepts first. I suggest you look at some exemplars along with the mark scheme and follow the steps of the solution and see if you can work out what they have done and why. If you don't understand, ask a friend, parent or teacher as they might, or in the case of a teacher, will, be able to help you. There are only a finite number of styles of questions in the GCSE so the more papers you go through the more familiar they will become. By the time you have done 5+ papers you will have seen almost every question before, just with different numbers. I don't know how high your aspirations are, but honestly, don't get too bogged down by the harder questions. You don't need to answer them if you want a 7 or below. Spend time on the questions you find hardest in the first 2/3rds of the paper as this is where you will earn most of your marks. What remains to be said is that in the new GCSE you are not spoonfed what you need to do to solve a question. Many questions will seem quite unclear at first as the exam board are expecting you to do all the thinking work. Being able to spot what you need to do to solve a question comes with practice. It won't be easy, but with enough exemplar papers completed (we were given 20+) you will be able to achieve your full potential. You are lucky you have a year to put in all the effort and not just 2 months, or even weeks. Good luck this year and I hope you do really well.
the one 123
Rep:
?
(Original post by TomSR)
I got a 9 (229/240) with Edexcel and honestly the main way to revise for maths is grinding through lots of past papers. However, you will get the best out of them if you understand the concepts first. I suggest you look at some exemplars along with the mark scheme and follow the steps of the solution and see if you can work out what they have done and why. If you don't understand, ask a friend, parent or teacher as they might, or in the case of a teacher, will, be able to help you. There are only a finite number of styles of questions in the GCSE so the more papers you go through the more familiar they will become. By the time you have done 5+ papers you will have seen almost every question before, just with different numbers. I don't know how high your aspirations are, but honestly, don't get too bogged down by the harder questions. You don't need to answer them if you want a 7 or below. Spend time on the questions you find hardest in the first 2/3rds of the paper as this is where you will earn most of your marks. What remains to be said is that in the new GCSE you are not spoonfed what you need to do to solve a question. Many questions will seem quite unclear at first as the exam board are expecting you to do all the thinking work. Being able to spot what you need to do to solve a question comes with practice. It won't be easy, but with enough exemplar papers completed (we were given 20+) you will be able to achieve your full potential. You are lucky you have a year to put in all the effort and not just 2 months, or even weeks. Good luck this year and I hope you do really well.
THanks for your advice i am hoping for all 7/A
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (207)
57.34%
I don't have everything I need (154)
42.66%

Watched Threads