ANM14
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys, I've just finished my GCSEs and got 5 A*s and 6 As and I'm now doing Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Sociology for A level. I really want to go into medicine and I'm interested in orthopaedic but I'm not sure how I'll deal with dissection. Do you have any tips to deal with dissection or any insight into medicine? I will be grateful for any advice/replies 😊
Angury
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What is it about dissection that you're worried about?
ANM14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angury)
What is it about dissection that you're worried about?
Honestly I'm not too sure. I don't mind blood and stuff like that it's just at school when we did it I kept thinking omg this poor thing was alive and now we're cutting it up. Upon saying that, I've watched tv shows with blood and horrific injuries but I don't know if I can properly deal with it in real life. I just need some advice in general. Sorry if this is a bit long, thank you for replying so quickly. 😊
ax12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ANM14)
Honestly I'm not too sure. I don't mind blood and stuff like that it's just at school when we did it I kept thinking omg this poor thing was alive and now we're cutting it up. Upon saying that, I've watched tv shows with blood and horrific injuries but I don't know if I can properly deal with it in real life. I just need some advice in general. Sorry if this is a bit long, thank you for replying so quickly. 😊
Only a handful of medical schools still do dissection. There's also no blood when you do it. I didn't like dissection at school but I've found it invaluable at medical school and really enjoyed it, but there's no way to prepare. If you do it, you'll always be given support and you get used to it.
ANM14
Rep:
?
(Original post by ax12)
Only a handful of medical schools still do dissection. There's also no blood when you do it. I didn't like dissection at school but I've found it invaluable at medical school and really enjoyed it, but there's no way to prepare. If you do it, you'll always be given support and you get used to it.
Thank you for your reply. May I ask, which medical school do/did you go to? What are you planning on doing in the future?
ax12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ANM14)
Thank you for your reply. May I ask, which medical school do/did you go to? What are you planning on doing in the future?
I'm in my fourth year at Leicester at the moment. Currently not 100% decided on my future, I keep doing things and changing my mind :P Maybe emergency medicine.
Letournel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ANM14)
Hi guys, I've just finished my GCSEs and got 5 A*s and 6 As and I'm now doing Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Sociology for A level. I really want to go into medicine and I'm interested in orthopaedic but I'm not sure how I'll deal with dissection. Do you have any tips to deal with dissection or any insight into medicine? I will be grateful for any advice/replies 😊
Wouldn't worry about it too much now, plenty of time to get used to the idea. Lots of people have the same concerns but most people are absolutely fine and as already noted prosection is much more commonly employed these days.
Captain127
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I really enjoyed dissection. There's no blood which is very helpful when you start doing it. I personally thought I would struggle because I became a bit more religious after leaving school and thought about how this is person has lived out a whole life etc. But in the lab, from the embalming process, they didn't look human to me so I wasn't put off. It was really interesting learning about the body so after a few lessons it just seemed normal to me. Don't think anyone there had any problems after a few sessions at the start.

Most places don't really use dissection nowadays so you can check where you're applying and if they do it or not. You can also find some pictures on google of what cadavers look like if your really keen.
Orangeak13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
we did heart dissections in my first year of biology and honestly it was a great experience. don't stress too much about it and I recommend breathing through your mouth for a little bit, the blood is minimal so you should be all good
Big Papa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ANM14)
Ngl, your first time in dissection will be an odd experience. For most people, its the first time they come face to face with death but soon the interest will take over. You'll be interested in the sheer detail of the human body. There is literally no blood in dissection so don't worry about the body squirting at you or something. The worst thing will be the smell of formaldehyde which will burn your nose but that's it. It is a great experience and an experience you will be grateful for. You've only finished GCSE's though so don't worry about this just yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (17)
13.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (31)
24.22%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (56)
43.75%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
15.63%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.13%

Watched Threads