Writing a personal statement for 4 different subjects?

Watch
Sxbvna
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am applying to the courses listed below:
PPE - OXFORD & MANCHESTER
PPL - WARWICK ( or )LAW - WARWICK
As you can see that is a total of 4 different subjects ( politics, philosophy , economics and law) do you think it is possible for me to incorporate all 4 subjects in 1 personal statement & how.
Quirky Object
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sxbvna)
PPL - WARWICK
LAW - WARWICK
As you can see that is a total of 4 different subjects ( politics, philosophy , economics and law) do you think it is possible for me to incorporate all 4 subjects in 1 personal statement & how.
I think you can do it - the subjects are very closely related. Focus on areas which link the subjects together: political philosophy, economic regulation, philosophy of law and so on.
lowza
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would recommend not doing so. Admissions tend to dislike this - they are hard to incorporate and it can make you sound as if you don't care about the course you are applying for. I'd suggest either writing it for the course you want the most (and maybe adding a line or so towards the end about the others) or choosing one course to apply for. I'd recommend writing it as a PPE statement, and adding a line or so about law.

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps X
Grassflow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
PPL - WARWICK
LAW - WARWICK
So you want to apply for 2 completely different courses at the same very competitive university (Warwick), and you think you have a chance? Get real, those courses are very competitive, they will know you've applied to do 2 different courses and will think you're not that serious about any of them because you haven't dedicated your application to 1 subject.

People apply to do law because they want to do law, not in case they don't get into a completely different degree somewhere else like Oxford. This is 2017, university applications have never been more competitive, there will be literally thousands of people writing dedicated personal statements for 1 subject.
Sxbvna
Rep:
?
(Original post by Grassflow)
So you want to apply for 2 completely different courses at the same very competitive university (Warwick), and you think you have a chance? Get real, those courses are very competitive, they will know you've applied to do 2 different courses and will think you're not that serious about any of them because you haven't dedicated your application to 1 subject.

People apply to do law because they want to do law, not in case they don't get into a completely different degree somewhere else like Oxford. This is 2017, university applications have never been more competitive, there will be literally thousands of people writing dedicated personal statements for 1 subject.
ok firstly chillax a little, I meant i'm either applying for law at Warwick or PPL i didn't mean i'm applying for both. The whole reason for me asking that question was so i could have a better grasp on my chances. PPE & PPL both include politics and philosophy so i dont see why not ? i dont get why people on here love putting themselves on a pedestal while they bring others down. You should 'get real' and realise its really not that deep babes x
Sxbvna
Rep:
?
(Original post by lowza)
I would recommend not doing so. Admissions tend to dislike this - they are hard to incorporate and it can make you sound as if you don't care about the course you are applying for. I'd suggest either writing it for the course you want the most (and maybe adding a line or so towards the end about the others) or choosing one course to apply for. I'd recommend writing it as a PPE statement, and adding a line or so about law.

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps X
That's what i thought also,its just that my dads pushing me to go to Warwick and they don't accept anyone for PPE without an A grade in maths GCSE ( which unfortunately is the only subject i didn't get an A in ( ). So i thought PPL would be my next bet. Oh well ill figure something out.
Grassflow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ok firstly chillax a little, I meant i'm either applying for law at Warwick or PPL i didn't mean i'm applying for both. The whole reason for me asking that question was so i could have a better grasp on my chances. PPE & PPL both include politics and philosophy so i dont see why not ? i dont get why people on here love putting themselves on a pedestal while they bring others down. You should 'get real' and realise its really not that deep babes x
Your first post makes it very clear that's you're 'applying' for all of the courses listed, you go on to confirm this throughout the post. I'm trying to help you maximise your chances of getting in, of course it's that deep.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (113)
28.18%
No - I have already returned home (52)
12.97%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (80)
19.95%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
9.73%
No - I live at home during term anyway (117)
29.18%

Watched Threads