The Student Room Group

Should I Do a level maths with a grade 7 in GCSE?

just got my results with 7 in maths, lang and lit. Got A in Core and additional science along with Spanish, and A* in RE. Originally English was my strong suit and I was going to do English, Spanish and biology for a levels, but after getting higher than my predicted grades i'm seriously reconsidering a career in maths. I'm not too sure about my future career, but I definitely want to continue Biology and Spanish, but i'm unsure between English and maths.
Original post by Dimki
just got my results with 7 in maths, lang and lit. Got A in Core and additional science along with Spanish, and A* in RE. Originally English was my strong suit and I was going to do English, Spanish and biology for a levels, but after getting higher than my predicted grades i'm seriously reconsidering a career in maths. I'm not too sure about my future career, but I definitely want to continue Biology and Spanish, but i'm unsure between English and maths.

Its hard to earn money and get into a good major with English compared to maths. Stick with maths, your going to have to try really hard during A Levels though. You must be putting in 100% effort from the start of the first year. I would seriously drop Spanish however. Math, Biology and a 3rd subject related towards those two, like Chemistry, Physics, Economics ect... Spanish foes not at all go with your other A Levels.
Original post by Dimki

Maths and biology go very well together; if you wanted to do something biological or maybe psychology/neurology etc. at uni, you would probably need two science subjects, and maths counts as one. I'd suggest taking maths for that reason. There's nothing wrong with keeping Spanish, though; it adds some variety.
Original post by Dimki

A 7 meets (if not exceeds) most sixth form's A-Level mathematics entry requirement. You'll be fine.

What degree are you looking to do? Not all of them require maths, but doing a maths A-Level will keep your options wide open.
Original post by Dimki

Definitely Maths, if you feel you are passionate enough about the subject and really want to succeed - don't pick it just for the "career". I also agree with some others here when they say to switch from Spanish to something else. I think Maths, Biology and Geography/History would be a great facilitating mix - Maths, a Science and a Humanities subject (Geography is probably more fitting, due to a slightly more quantitative nature than History - though, your existing English skills might transfer over to History better). This would open up lots of degree options for you (especially if combined with a Further Maths AS to do in Year 12 if you feel you could cope, I think it's not too difficult but you'd really need to be willing to put the effort in) - most Maths and Biology courses, some Natural Science courses, Computer Science, Bio-Engineering possibly, Geography, and maybe some of its sub-sectors like Sustainable Development, or if you pick History then History and maybe some Econ courses too - a lot of the universities that offer things like Econ, Law and CompSci are aware that not all schools will provide those A levels, so will allow facilitating A Levels with transferable skills instead. All you have to do is show the passion and extra/super-curricular work you've done regarding your beloved field in your Personal Statement.

Hope that helped.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by HabibSyed
Its hard to earn money and get into a good major with English compared to maths. Stick with maths, your going to have to try really hard during A Levels though. You must be putting in 100% effort from the start of the first year. I would seriously drop Spanish however. Math, Biology and a 3rd subject related towards those two, like Chemistry, Physics, Economics ect... Spanish foes not at all go with your other A Levels.

ah okay thanks for the advice! i find that i enjoy and do better in spanish compared to chemistry or physics, and that it would look better if I had an essay based subject within my a levels.
Reply 6
Original post by Sonechka
Maths and biology go very well together; if you wanted to do something biological or maybe psychology/neurology etc. at uni, you would probably need two science subjects, and maths counts as one. I'd suggest taking maths for that reason. There's nothing wrong with keeping Spanish, though; it adds some variety.

Cool thanks, maths and bio do seem well together thanks!
Original post by Dimki
ah okay thanks for the advice! i find that i enjoy and do better in spanish compared to chemistry or physics, and that it would look better if I had an essay based subject within my a levels.

Ya man, at the end of the day it is slightly what will bring you sucess, but also what you feel confortable with. There is no point in doing ideal subjects which you may understandably not do as well in. However, there isn't much reason in doing a sub-ideal subject just because you think you can do well in. Think about it, most sixthforms/colleges will give you until 1-2 weeks after enrollment. Talk to your tutors and teachers.
Reply 8
Original post by plklupu
Definitely Maths, if you feel you are passionate enough about the subject and really want to succeed - don't pick it just for the "career". I also agree with some others here when they say to switch from Spanish to something else. I think Maths, Biology and Geography/History would be a great facilitating mix - Maths, a Science and a Humanities subject (Geography is probably more fitting, due to a slightly more quantitative nature than History - though, your existing English skills might transfer over to History better). This would open up lots of degree options for you (especially if combined with a Further Maths AS to do in Year 12 if you feel you could cope, I think it's not too difficult but you'd really need to be willing to put the effort in) - most Maths and Biology courses, some Natural Science courses, Computer Science, Bio-Engineering possibly, Geography, and maybe some of its sub-sectors like Sustainable Development, or if you pick History then History and maybe some Econ courses too - a lot of the universities that offer things like Econ, Law and CompSci are aware that not all schools will provide those A levels, so will allow facilitating A Levels with transferable skills instead. All you have to do is show the passion and extra/super-curricular work you've done regarding your beloved field in your Personal Statement.

Hope that helped.

thanks this has helped! I did take GCSE Geography but i didnt mention it because I only got a C (1UMS from a B) so ive kind of been deterred from any humanities for a while now. I've always done well in spanish and wouldnt it be a mix of english and history considering the content for the course, it could still make an impressive application and I would like to have at least one essay based subject in my options
Original post by Dimki
thanks this has helped! I did take GCSE Geography but i didnt mention it because I only got a C (1UMS from a B) so ive kind of been deterred from any humanities for a while now. I've always done well in spanish and wouldnt it be a mix of english and history considering the content for the course, it could still make an impressive application and I would like to have at least one essay based subject in my options

Well, you can't really go wrong with Maths and Biology, and if you're comfortable with Spanish and confident you could get great grades, then you do you.
Reply 10
Original post by HabibSyed
Ya man, at the end of the day it is slightly what will bring you sucess, but also what you feel confortable with. There is no point in doing ideal subjects which you may understandably not do as well in. However, there isn't much reason in doing a sub-ideal subject just because you think you can do well in. Think about it, most sixthforms/colleges will give you until 1-2 weeks after enrollment. Talk to your tutors and teachers.

yeah i get your point. i guess time will tell.
Original post by Dimki
yeah i get your point. i guess time will tell.

Please can you update this to tell me what you did in the end? :smile: Hope it all worked out
Reply 12
Original post by LibertarianMP
Please can you update this to tell me what you did in the end? :smile: Hope it all worked out

Its been good. You put effort into every lesson to understand the content so at least you can practise at home. Use the teachers!!! Hoenestly they help so much. Without effort you can't get anywhere with a levels
Original post by Dimki
Its been good. You put effort into every lesson to understand the content so at least you can practise at home. Use the teachers!!! Hoenestly they help so much. Without effort you can't get anywhere with a levels

If you don't mind saying what kind of grade to you think you'll achieve at the end of the course?
Reply 14
Original post by LibertarianMP
If you don't mind saying what kind of grade to you think you'll achieve at the end of the course?

Personally, I think a B, just because last year I missed a lot of content with family issues and stuff and I spent a lot of the summer holidays going over that, but I think the great thing about Maths is that your grade can improve with the more practise you do and I definitely recommend you look at doing extension work in class just so you can aim for that higher grade! Hope this helps x
Original post by Dimki
Personally, I think a B, just because last year I missed a lot of content with family issues and stuff and I spent a lot of the summer holidays going over that, but I think the great thing about Maths is that your grade can improve with the more practise you do and I definitely recommend you look at doing extension work in class just so you can aim for that higher grade! Hope this helps x

Thank you
I acctualy disagree because taking Spanish gives him/her a wide range of opportunities. In addition it is a comparitively easy subject if you enjoy Spanish meaning an easy A-Level. In addition many fields in English give well-paying opportuinites such as journalism and writing as a career

Quick Reply

Latest